PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Won't install!

mozinga
July 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hi,

I've decided to try linux for the first time after getting bored with Vista and downloaded and burnt the live cd.

However, when I start my computer up with the disk in I get to the point where I select my language, but when I choose install or any of the other options the screen black with a flashing dash in the corner and doesn't do anything, anyone have any ideas?

overdrank
July 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hi,

I've decided to try linux for the first time after getting bored with Vista and downloaded and burnt the live cd.

However, when I start my computer up with the disk in I get to the point where I select my language, but when I choose install or any of the other options the screen black with a flashing dash in the corner and doesn't do anything, anyone have any ideas?

Hi and welcome, You may check the cd for errors and you should burn it as slow as possible.
Then you may want to do a checksum on the cd
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
Also could you give some system specs. :)

mozinga
July 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks, just checking the disc image.

System specs:
Intel Core2Duo e6600
2gb ram
geforce 8800 gts
500gb seagate hard drive

overdrank
July 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks, just checking the disc image.

System specs:
Intel Core2Duo e6600
2gb ram
geforce 8800 gts
500gb seagate hard drive

Ok and the nvidia 8800 may cause some issues but you can use the F4 option to help that and if all else fails you can use the alternate cd as it is a text based install. If you do in fact wish to install without trying out the live cd first.