PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xubuntu 8.04 no sound (usb speakers)

wongtop
July 8th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hi - I upgraded from Xubuntu 6.06 where sound worked fine (out of the box) - now in Xubuntu 8.04 I have no sound.

The pc has no onboard sound so I am using USB speakers.

aplay -l gives:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: Audio [USB Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

cat /proc/asound/cards gives
1 [Audio ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio
C-Media INC. USB Audio at usb-0000:00:1f.2-1, full speed

alsamixer gives;

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

Any help / hints as to what to try next would be great.

Thanks

rasec_spain
June 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Hi, I have the same problem with 9.04. Did you solve your problem?

Im searching for solution...

wongtop
June 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM
No sorry - I didn't get it sorted. I think a reviewer on distrowatch had a similar problem and managed to get things going. I've since retired the PC with the USB speakers (it was a P3).

rasec_spain
June 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hi! I find my solution. The first time after install xubuntu i was update to ubuntu, for test something... and sound works perfect after init gnome session.

How I don't want run gnome, I was install again xubuntu and too install a audiopulse packets. this solve the problem of my usb speakers...

Now I have a problem with sound, because every time that i reboot my system the sound turn off and is necesary search an tool configuration for up level sound... maybe tomorrow will be work :P

I have a Mac Cube 450Mhz (yes, ppc!!:oD) with 416MbRam I'm trying convert into a htpc...
(I have a lot of work...)

Bye!!

hmagoo
June 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hi,
For some reason the USB Audio sound "cards" are getting put on the back burner, they are not getting /dev/dsp (In most cases) but are getting /dev/dsp1 (or something), even though there is NO other sound device installed.

I had the same problem, and had to change the order that the system assigns them to /dev/dsp...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449&highlight=modprobe+usb+audio

should work for you, or at least help you start googling. Find the name of your sound device and change it so that it is seen by the system as /dev/dsp... with no number!