PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant boot into my latest kernel!

Spoken
July 8th, 2008, 03:18 AM
i cant boot into my latest kernel which is 2.6.24-17

my computer automatically trys to boot into this one by default but when it gets to the loading bar screen. the bar just goes back and forth forever.

right now im booted up into this same kernel (but in recovery mode)

so what do i need to do in order to get my computer to boot into this kernel normally once again.

Dr Small
July 8th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Boot into recovery mode, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and for the entry that is NOT the recovery mode, remove the "ro quiet" and "quiet" from the kernel lines so you can begin debugging the problem.

Spoken
July 8th, 2008, 03:31 AM
ok, i did that and when it was spitting output at me during its "boot", it randomly stopped and near the bottom it said "driver "sr" needs updating -- please use bus_type methods"

and it never moved from there, so i had to do a hard shutdown and reboot into recovery again.

Dr Small
July 8th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Anything you did beforehand that could have caused this? I don't know of anything off the top of my head that could be helpful. Maybe someone else will drop in with a solution.

PS. If you answer that first question, you void your warranty :D

Spoken
July 8th, 2008, 03:52 AM
well i recently upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04, then after the upgrade, i got updates that required me to do a "partial upgrade", then after that, everything messed up.

fidamehran
July 8th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Go to Synaptic and Package Manager and Search for Startup Manager. Install it. This is a very easy Graphical User Interface program that will let you manage what Kernel you will log in when Ubuntu starts. I use it. Top class.

fidamehran
July 8th, 2008, 07:18 AM
With Startup manager you can also make Ubuntu load into previous stable Kernel versions. In my opinion, what kernel you boot into doesn't matter as long as its stable and not too old.