PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Segfaults

dunbrokin
July 8th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I get a lot of Segfaults with Firefox...and, so far, despite a number of postings here and on the Mozilla forum, nobody had come up with any suggestions/ideas/explanations other than purge Firefox and reinstall....but I reluctant to do that as I will lose all my bookmarks, profile etc. Also, it is not the only program that I get segfaults with (though it is by far the most common).

phidia
July 8th, 2008, 02:41 AM
What version of Ubuntu are you using and how much memory (ram) does your computer have?
Your bookmarks and preferences should be in dot "." files in your user home directory plus you can back them up so you don't have to lose them.
If you are running with less then 512MB of ram with the latest version of FF and have other programs open as well that's probably the cause.

kansasnoob
July 8th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I don't have a "fix" but I'm curious what your Software settings are?

Mine:

And I find my system, including FF3, to be very stable!

dunbrokin
July 8th, 2008, 02:59 AM
What version of Ubuntu are you using and how much memory (ram) does your computer have?
Your bookmarks and preferences should be in dot "." files in your user home directory plus you can back them up so you don't have to lose them.
If you are running with less then 512MB of ram with the latest version of FF and have other programs open as well that's probably the cause.

8.04 with all updates since April....I have 2 Gig of memory.

dunbrokin
July 8th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I don't have a "fix" but I'm curious what your Software settings are?

Mine:

And I find my system, including FF3, to be very stable!

See below.

phidia
July 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Trying a different tack; what video card and driver are you using?

dunbrokin
July 8th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Trying a different tack; what video card and driver are you using?

ATI Technologies Inc M22 (Mobility Radeon X300) (prog-if 00[VGA controller])
Subsysterm; Dell Unknown device 2006

I am using a Dell Latitude D610