PDA

View Full Version : For the CAD people

regomodo
July 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM
`

kevin11951
July 8th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Blender (http://www.blender.org/)

It doesn't really count as CAD in the product sense, however it is Computer Aided Design!

tamoneya
July 8th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I am familiar with both solidworks and autocad and realize how irreplaceable they can be. One thing you may not have considered is wine. It has gotten much better in the past two years. It runs adobe CS2 now and has finally made the 1.0 release. Give it a try.

Mateo
July 8th, 2008, 12:05 AM
What's wrong with VariCAD exactly?

TBOL3
July 8th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I'm fine with blender. But what I want to know is, when do we get good audio creation software. I use rosegarden, but that's only because I'm trying to loosen my dependency on proprietary software.

Tatty
July 8th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I'm fine with blender. But what I want to know is, when do we get good audio creation software. I use rosegarden, but that's only because I'm trying to loosen my dependency on proprietary software.

What sort of audio creation software are you after? Theres loads in the repos. If you are after an audio hard disk recorder/sequencer then try ardour.

FlyingIsFun1217
July 8th, 2008, 02:33 AM

It doesn't really count as CAD in the product sense, however it is Computer Aided Design!

The biggest reason that this cannot be used as a TRUE CAD program is that it doesn't have good metrics in it.

FlyingIsFun1217

phread59
July 8th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I kinda stumbled on this thread by accident. I've been looking for a simple 2d and or 3d cad program for designing model airplane parts. I just put blender in and have Q-Cad loaded in. Any other suggestions? Free is the operating word here. Of course something dirt cheap could be used. I'm not looking for Autocad level. Just something to read cad files so I can print plans I have downloaded from the net. And do some simple light drawing. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Shuman

Yuki_Nagato
July 8th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I use and enjoy Blender for animation, but for actual engineering and CNC machining, I have found that Autodesk is the undisputed leader in this field.

There is just TOO much file calling, cross application business, and Windows friendly file types for me to attempt to use WINE of this.

TBOL3
July 8th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Yup, blender is only good for art, which is what I use it for at the moment.

BTW, I'm using rosegardenn with lilypond, and timidity, and I think alsa in the back. I wish it was all in one package, like blender.

madjr
July 8th, 2008, 04:40 AM
alternatives here:

http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives?search_text=cad

ARCAD
Bricscad
CYCAS
GraphiteOne-CAD
LinuxCAD
QCad
SagCAD
VariCAD
VARKON
FreeCAD
BRL-CAD

barbedsaber
July 8th, 2008, 04:52 AM
we need autodesk inventor, nothing can replace an industry standard.

zmjjmz
July 8th, 2008, 05:04 AM
ARCAD - I can't seem to get to their page.
Bricscad - Looks good, but it's proprietary.
CYCAS - Once again, proprietary. Still good.
GraphiteOne-CAD - Proprietary *sigh*.
LinuxCAD - Proprietary, and their website has blink tags!.
QCad - FOSS at least, but 2D only.
SagCAD - FOSS and 3D. But not so much in English or having a functional site.
VariCAD - Proprietary...
VARKON - 3D and OSS, but not so sure about it's activeness.
FreeCAD - FOSS and 3D, but not out of beta.
BRL-CAD - FOSS and 3D. Cool.

NOTE: I didn't install any of them (my HDD is full as it is), just gathered what info I could from their homepages (or the lack thereof).

madjr
July 8th, 2008, 06:17 AM
even more CAD programs, enjoy

http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html

it's amusing to see that no one knows there are so many CAD programs in linux. OVER 50 programs !!

Then i see some people recommending blender as an cad substitute and i fall off my chair... :o

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Though it doesn't fit the Computer-Aided Drafting criterion.

zmjjmz
July 8th, 2008, 06:26 AM
BlenderCAD looks good.

EDIT: A lot of the OSS ones are still in the pre-release stage.

aquavitae
July 8th, 2008, 06:34 AM
it's amusing to see that no one knows there are so many CAD programs in linux. OVER 50 programs !!

But if you investigate further, you'll fnd that most of them have never actually got out of the planning stage, or if they have then they are so limited they are completely useless to anyone looking for something to replace autocad. I've been hunting for something for the past 4 years and the most promising I've seen so far is avocado, but its a new project and so far can't really do anything. Even the propriety ones (Cycas, commercial Qcad, etc) are no where near autocad in terms of functionality.

regomodo
July 8th, 2008, 08:31 AM
`

sanderella
July 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I have a CAD program called Designaknit. I have an old laptop with windows 98 linked to my electronic knitting machine. I do the design on the computer, and it downloads onto my knitting machine and knits the pattern. (See my link to Tux Sweater below.) I wish someone would write a similar program for Linux.

madjr
July 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Have you actually used them? If you do and them compare to what actually goes as a CAD program these days you'll see the problem.

I found that link a long time ago. There's nothing good. Just a whole heap of old and orphaned projects.

this also goes for all the commercial ones?

i would think at least some of them do the basics..

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM

i would think at least some of them do the basics..
OK, lets put it this way:

I boot into Windows EVERY DAY just to use AutoCAD.

klange
July 8th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Autodesk is in a great position to port quite a few of their products to Linux. Remember that since they acquired Maya, they've still had Linux support for it. We still have a major need for CAD and 3d design (sorry guys, but I just love 3ds Max too much, and blender just never cut it for me, massive learning curve and all).

Here's what I think Autodesk should do:
Step 1: PLE of Maya for Linux. They can and most definitely should do it, though it would probably cause a major offset in Blender use.
Step 2: Work on AutoCAD for Linux - No-brainer.
Step 3: 3ds Max 2009/10 for Linux - They already have Maya, but 3ds Max hits a different point in the market.

newbie2
July 8th, 2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html
:)

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 01:28 AM
found this article:

Book review: Blender 3D: Architecture, Buildings, and Scenery (http://www.linux.com/feature/139888)

aquavitae
July 9th, 2008, 06:07 AM

i would think at least some of them do the basics..Yes, the basics. And nothing more. The best I've seen so far is qcad, but its only 2D and lacks a lot of functionality that even just autocad LT has. As for computer-aided-design software like revit or autocad civil 3d... there's nothing even remotely close. I think the best option at the moment is to get better wine support for the autodesk products. Autodesk are not likely to port to linux any time soon as they have sold their souls..., um, I mean, signed a contract with microsoft giving them info on the windows internals so that they can optimise their code better. Suicidal and stupid, maybe, but that's what they've done.

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Yes, the basics. And nothing more. The best I've seen so far is qcad, but its only 2D and lacks a lot of functionality that even just autocad LT has. As for computer-aided-design software like revit or autocad civil 3d... there's nothing even remotely close. I think the best option at the moment is to get better wine support for the autodesk products. Autodesk are not likely to port to linux any time soon as they have sold their souls..., um, I mean, signed a contract with microsoft giving them info on the windows internals so that they can optimise their code better. Suicidal and stupid, maybe, but that's what they've done.

well i would like them to have a look at the WINE internals

aquavitae
July 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
well i would like them to have a look at the WINE internalsWhat do you mean? That autodesk should look at wine internals?

quanumphaze
July 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Does anyone know of a good electrical circuit design CAD like OrCAD for Linux? It has a thing called PSPICE that does circuit simulations.

phen
July 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM
in the link mentioned above i found catia and pro engineer, these two are highly professional CAD programs. They are proprietary, as their counterparts and autoCAD for windows.

if you need the industry standard because of collaboration you might have to use windows and autocad, but CAD on linux should be possible. not for free, which its not in windows as well.

for smaller projects try the free qcad, it worked ok for me!

clanky
July 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I have sent a qCAD few drawings to engineering firms over the last few months and they have received the bits that I have wanted in return, it is however very limited in terms of what is available in AutoCad and also in terms of usability compared to AutoCad (although that is possibly just because I have used Autocad for much longer)

I also managed to create working drawings for a fuel injector while trying to learn how to use the application so it is a useful system although it does have limitations.

Riffer
July 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Does anyone know of a good electrical circuit design CAD like OrCAD for Linux? It has a thing called PSPICE that does circuit simulations.

Eagle, its in the repos. Not open source but you can use it as freeware. There is also KiCad and PCB, both open source and in the repos.

Gripp
July 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM
freeCAD (i think it was) isn't actually free... and its beta, which is fine but... their website feels very 'beta' as well..

but back to the 'not free' part. i'm fairly certain that this was the software that required another "free" piece of software, something from a site called the universal DWG format, or something along those line. however, you have to pay, sorry - donate, a fairly decent sized sum to become a member and be allowed to download their 'free' files...

just saying

nikkkko
July 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I've been using QCad for quite some time, designing small structures out of steel and sending the plans direct to the manufacturer on pdf. Fine so far except that the structures are getting more complicated and I want to move to 3D.

I have no prior experience of 3D, have not used Windows for over 5 years and don't want to move back. I'm going to have to spend money on software so for me, the question is, which is the best non-free linux 3D CAD package on the market?

Thanks

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM
anyone tried google sketchup?

i seen many architects use it

i heard you can get it up in wine and that google is planning an optimized version like picassa and ge

Frak
July 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM
anyone tried google sketchup?

i seen many architects use it

i heard you can get it up in wine and that google is planning an optimized version like picassa and ge
The full version is much better than the Google version.

atomkarinca
July 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
What's wrong with QCad? I used it for some time and when you get used to its way, it's quite easy. By the way if you're looking for a free AutoCAD, you won't find one. Every software has its own layout and way of doing things. And AutoCAD 2000 works quite well in Wine.

Frak
July 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
What's wrong with QCad? I used it for some time and when you get used to its way, it's quite easy. By the way if you're looking for a free AutoCAD, you won't find one. Every software has its own layout and way of doing things. And AutoCAD 2000 works quite well in Wine.
I grew up using AutoCAD 2000. That was the best CAD editor I've ever used, and I wish they would bring it back for a lower price (since it doesn't have all of the features of newer AutoCADs, but some of us would like to use it in Wine or just use it period).

halln
July 9th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I grew up using AutoCAD 2000. That was the best CAD editor I've ever used, and I wish they would bring it back for a lower price (since it doesn't have all of the features of newer AutoCADs, but some of us would like to use it in Wine or just use it period).

how about this link: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4105&iTestingId=1232

Frak
July 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
how about this link: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4105&iTestingId=1232
Meh, too many bugs.

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM

am sure you can get it off the net.

just send them a check or purchase a retail version but stick with the 2000

halln
July 9th, 2008, 07:46 PM
and this:http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bShowAll=true&bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=version&sTitle=&sReturnTo=&iId=4105