PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu confuses seperate user accounts

mustard greens
July 7th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I currently have two user accounts set on my computer, but ubuntu seems to be getting them confused. one day the admin account has advanced graphics activated, the next theyre gone. when I check the secondary account they have advanced graphics capabilities, but the admin cannot activate. then the next day the whole thing switches again. also when I attach my camera, flash drive etc. it seems to try and open them in both accounts at once while denying access to one or the other user. I cant seem to find where to fix these issues. thanks for your help.

pytheas22
July 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
In general, desktop effects can only run on one account at the same time. I've heard, but can't verify, that it's now possible to run them on more than one account if you have an nvidia or ATI graphics card, but I don't know how to enable that. If you have Intel or other graphics, you're out of luck--after all, desktop effects require a lot of video power, and an Intel card can't really handle more than one session at once anyway.

Double-mounting of the camera seems strange. It makes sense that only one user--the one who mounted the camera--should be able to access it, but the other one shouldn't see it at all.

Maybe if you could provide more information about your configuration, we could get a better idea of possible causes for your strange behavior. When are you switching between two accounts, and why (it sounds like you have one person on two different accounts--is there a reason)?

mustard greens
July 8th, 2008, 12:59 AM
the two people are me and my girlfriend. the two accounts arent nescesary, just nice to have.
I dont know how to view my hardware configurations in ubuntu. any advice?

webofunni
July 8th, 2008, 01:16 AM
the two people are me and my girlfriend. the two accounts arent nescesary, just nice to have.

lspci

Will list the hardware informations used for various purposes.

cat /proc/cpuinfo
cat /proc/meminfo

Are also Good ;-)

t0p
July 8th, 2008, 01:17 AM

lshw