PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation: easy for some, hard for others

Zopiac
July 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
i was looking on ebay, and for one item (http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Inspiron-5160-3-2-GHz-Ubuntu-and-XP-Home-CD_W0QQitemZ180260467704QQihZ008QQcategoryZ177QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) the seller posted this:

Please note: I am not offering to be your Ubuntu or WinXP technical support! I will provide the login password that you need. I am 100% new to Ubuntu, but it was very easy to get the computer up and running. I was able to quickly find answers to my questions by searching the web. In fact, I had less trouble getting everything working than I did with XP. Ubuntu is faster, much more secure, doesn't have the stability problems of XP, has a ton of software available, and it's all free. Under Windows, software equivalent to what is loaded on this computer would run a couple thousand dollars (Office Pro, AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc.). But if you really must have WinXP, the CD is included. The choice is yours.

so, perfect installation, never handled linux before? hmmm, that was the case for me, too. i don't get how installation can be such a hassle for so many people!!

deNoobius
July 7th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Well, not all installations go smoothly. In my case, I had to install twice--the first time, wireless and sound both didn't work; on re-install everything went smoothly. I'm not sure why, either, but I can tell you the first time around it was QUITE frustrating. (I'm happy now, though).

Kudos for having a good experience!

I sense some of the difficulties have to do with the fact that Linux doesn't always have the right device drivers, and that the workarounds like ndiswrapper (for wireless) don't always install correctly. Beyond that, I don't know.

Zopiac
July 8th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I sense some of the difficulties have to do with the fact that Linux doesn't always have the right device drivers, and that the workarounds like ndiswrapper (for wireless) don't always install correctly. Beyond that, I don't know.

true, true. built in cameras, microphones, bluetooth, wireless, as well as external BT and wireless cards would be a common problem...

upchucky
July 8th, 2008, 03:47 AM
not sure if you were asking for advice, but here it is, even if you do not get the password you can install again to get around it, unless he has bios password which takes a bit more to reset, but is doable by removing bios battery.

he installed Linux, too bad he did not send the unused windows disk back to MS for a $50.00 refund

in all the system is a win win if the price is good

Zopiac
July 8th, 2008, 03:52 AM
not sure if you were asking for advice, but here it is, even if you do not get the password you can install again to get around it, unless he has bios password which takes a bit more to reset, but is doable by removing bios battery.

he installed Linux, too bad he did not send the unused windows disk back to MS for a $50.00 refund

in all the system is a win win if the price is good

nah, wasnt asking for advice; was just stating the title :P

but wait; you can refund the disks? lol i didnt know that...im gonna do that for the disks i have!

racie
July 8th, 2008, 04:08 AM
true, true. built in cameras, microphones, bluetooth, wireless, as well as external BT and wireless cards would be a common problem...

Dual-booting has more complications, too. I'm currently trying to dual-boot Xubuntu and Windows 98 SE and it isn't going too well lol. Do you think I could dual-boot it on my Vista laptop?

Zopiac
July 8th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Dual-booting has more complications, too. I'm currently trying to dual-boot Xubuntu and Windows 98 SE and it isn't going too well lol. Do you think I could dual-boot it on my Vista laptop?

i doubt that if you do the same as you didwith the W98 comp that it would be much different, but it depends on exactly what problems you are having, i guess.

racie
July 8th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Well, not really. The Windows 98 computer is very old and buggy, and it also has less RAM, GB, and other stuff. I would assume it would work better on a better computer.