PDA

View Full Version : Idea - popularization of Linux/Ubuntu

ene_dene
July 7th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Recently I've read some statistics about OS usage around the world and I was quite disappointed by the fact that only about 0.8% of people use Linux. Everyone has his/hers taste but 0.8% gives a totally unrealistic picture about the difference in quality of OSes. I mean, there is no way that so many people would find Windows better than Linux if they had a chance to try both OSes.
I've managed to convince few friends, dad, girlfriend that they should use Ubuntu and all reactions are positive. Since they are all very different persons with different computer knowledge and they've changed their OS from Windows to Linux it shows that it is possible to convince an ordinary person that Linux has such quality and even much more.

When you try to convince someone to try Linux there are few problems. What they've got already works, how it works, it's not that important if they get the job done. They really don't want to reinstall the whole system, and learn new one from the beginning. If they install Ubuntu on Windows as a program, well, that's cool, but if their windows are slow (and they usually are, firewall/antivirus/registry/blabla) Ubuntu can't run fast on such a machine and they get the wrong impression.

I've tried a different approach, everyone of my friends who want to try Ubuntu could try it on my comp. I've made few accounts and installed nxserver. They installed nxclient and they connect to my machine (installation of nxclient+connection to my machine doesn't take more then few mins) and they just work the ordinary tasks, they surf, download/upload, office.. Just to see that it works, that it works much faster and that it's stable. NXclient is good enough even for a slow connections, so there is no problem.

I was thinking maybe that something similar could be done in general. For example that we would have volunteers that would donate few accounts for windows users who want to try Ubuntu. Of course with some security measures, no administrative accounts, regular firewall logs checks and similar stuff.
Of course you need to have a more ram (4Gb=<) and processing power (dual core) and system that works fine.

What do you think about this kind contribution to popularization? Is it too dangers, or just stupid, would it find it's users and people who would donate their comps...? I'm not sure about the general usage, but if you want your friends to try this is not a bad way, since I've tried with some success.

LaRoza
July 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I don't think such things are needed. Linux has a relatively small share of desktop users, but it has a very large share in servers (and almost a monopoly on super computers).

I use it, and it works. That is enough for me.

ene_dene
July 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I don't think such things are needed. Linux has a relatively small share of desktop users, but it has a very large share in servers (and almost a monopoly on super computers).

I use it, and it works. That is enough for me.
Well I would like that more Desktop users use it. It is good for Linux, the more users, the more drivers, software, support and so on.

LaRoza
July 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Well I would like that more Desktop users use it. It is good for Linux, the more users, the more drivers, software, support and so on.

My hardware is already supported 100% :-)

It would be good, but it isn't something we should push, just make available.

ene_dene
July 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
My hardware is already supported 100% :-)

It would be good, but it isn't something we should push, just make available.
OK, there are different views on that subject.
But lot distributions, including Ubuntu are trying to win more users from Microsoft. I would like to hear some suggestions how to do that, regardless of our personal opinion does Linux need more users or not.

LaRoza
July 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
But lot distributions, including Ubuntu are trying to win more users from Microsoft.

The best way is to make a quality product. Focusing on getting more users, like Microsoft, leads to disaster.

RiceMonster
July 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Most people who have been using Linux for a while have realized that it's not worth their time to try and convince people to switch to Linux, and that it really doesn't matter if they don't use it.

The same is for me. My close friends have seen my computer, and what Linux is like, but they want to stay with Windows for different reasons like they don't want to learn a new OS, or like my friend who plays a lot of games and needs software like photoshop for college (and he uses a laptop he got from his college). Regardless of whether they could dual boot, or use Wubi or a VM, I don't care if they don't want to use it.

Mazza558
July 7th, 2008, 06:00 PM
An ideal level of marketshare would be 8-10%. Small enough that we get a sense of exclusivity and community, but large enough that manufacturers and software-makers take notice.

LaRoza
July 7th, 2008, 06:02 PM
An ideal level of marketshare would be 8-10%. Small enough that we get a sense of exclusivity and community, but large enough that manufacturers and software-makers take notice.

Like OS X (8% I think)

Canis familiaris
July 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
The best way is to make a quality product. Focusing on getting more users, like Microsoft, leads to disaster.
That's some quote. Though I have to say the OP's idea is not to force Linux on people but just to showcase Linux.

@OP: The idea is good i.e. to showcase Linux but difficult to implement. It will let new users just know what Linux is and what it can do and then leave the rest.
IMO Far too many people do not even know what Linux is. They don't know know there is any other OS except Windows.
So awareness is the key.

Canis familiaris
July 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Like OS X (8% I think)

OSX has larger market share worldwide than Linux? :confused:

I thought Linux has more market share.

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure that 0.8% is the correct number. For example, these guys

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

say Linux has 0.8% share, OS X has 7.94% share. Well, when I google "OS X", I see 105,000,000 search results. When I google "Ubuntu", there are 95,800,000 search results, almost as many as for OS X. Do people write about Ubuntu as much as about OS X? If Ubuntu only has less than 0.8% market share, why there are so many articles on the Internet?

Only googling "EEE PC" gives 20,000,000 search results, and this computer is less than 1 year old. Why are there some many articles on Internet?

I think Linux desktop share is significantly more than 0.8%, it is just nobody knows how large it is.

keiichidono
July 7th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I just told one of my friends about Linux and she was enthusiastic about it, so is her friend. They didn't know that Linux existed but now that they do they want to use it instead of Windows. I'm going over to her house to install it for her soon. :D Awareness is key.

LaRoza
July 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM
OSX has larger market share worldwide than Linux? :confused:

I thought Linux has more market share.

On the desktop yes.

piousp
July 7th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I dont think that we should try to get more users... they should come because its better.
P.S. But a little push doesn't hurt, would it?

RiceMonster
July 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM

say Linux has 0.8% share, OS X has 7.94% share. Well, when I google "OS X", I see 105,000,000 search results. When I google "Ubuntu", there are 95,800,000 search results, almost as many as for OS X. Do people write about Ubuntu as much as about OS X? If Ubuntu only has less than 0.8% market share, why there are so many articles on the Internet?

Only googling "EEE PC" gives 20,000,000 search results, and this computer is less than 1 year old. Why are there some many articles on Internet?

I think Linux desktop share is significantly more than 0.8%, it is just nobody knows how large it is.

Well, first of all, when most people talk about OSX, they say "Mac", at least in my experience, and second of all, the Linux community is very internet based. You don't go to a store to get a Linux distro, like most people would go to a store to buy a Mac, you download an iso from the distro site and burn a cd, and if you do buy a CD, you order it over the internet. Same thing for support, if someone has a problem with Linux, they almost allways go to support forums. Maybe you have know of a few cases that are different, but they would be an extreme minority. Considering this, I don't think google search results are a good thing to base that on.

Canis familiaris
July 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I dont think that we should try to get more users... they should come because its better.
P.S. But a little push doesn't hurt, would it?
No we shouldn't force it on new users. We should only make them aware that they have alternatives. The rest should be left to the users.

ene_dene
July 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM
These things don't exclude each other. Microsoft doesn't have a bad product because it has lot of users or is Linux good because it has few.

That is 10 times more than it is now, and for that lot work is needed.

Most people who have been using Linux for a while have realized that it's not worth their time to try and convince people to switch to Linux, and that it really doesn't matter if they don't use it.
I know, people get irritated when someone is trying to change something that they usually do. But not all the people, and certainly not only 0.8% of people. That should change.

piousp
July 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM

I agree

papiesh
July 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
It's sad that only 0.8 percent, I'm shocked !

estyles
July 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Oh, man. When you said "OS X", I thought "OS/2", and I was like, holy crap, if OS/2 has more marketshare than Linux, then we're in trouble. Of course, then I saw 8%, and there was no way I was going to believe that 8% of computer users still use OS/2. It's probably about .0005%.

I would say the reason that searching for "OS X" leads to barely more results than Ubuntu is that people don't think of it as "OS X", it's just Mac, or Mac OS. Occasionally Leopard. Also the fact that users of Linux are more likely to be enthusiasts, or computer hobbyists, as opposed to users of Mac who are more likely to be users looking for the simplest possible experience without having to think about it too much. Which one of those is more likely to build a website or make forum posts about their OS?

Not a slam against Macs or OS X, I know that it *can* be a powerful OS, and there certainly are enthusiasts and hobbyists using it, but I'd guess the percentages of users are something like 60% enthusiast, 30% professional, 10% "naive" user for Linux, as opposed to more like 10% enthusiast, 30% professional, 60% "naive" user for OS X. Or maybe even more skewed than that.

Canis familiaris
July 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM
That is 100 times more than it is now, and for that lot work is needed.

Actually not 100 times but 10 times.
0.8% X 10 = 8%
0.8% X 100 = 80%

aysiu
July 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I'm not down on this idea, but I'm personally not going to participate in it. If that's your thing, go for it, though.

Fact is, there isn't going to be one main method for growing Linux's home use. It'll be a combination of several factors, and Microsoft will fight every inch of the way: Word of mouth from acquaintance/friend/relative to Windows user with guided, in-person transition and training. Current Linux users buying more Linux-compatible hardware and buying less Linux-incompatible hardware, thus monetarily encouraging better hardware support Linux coming preinstalled on netbooks The software improving more and more as time goes on

Canis familiaris
July 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
+1
An 8-20% marketshare would be awesome.
If market share of Linux goes to 80%, (which would not happen for a decade or maybe two decades), I would hop and use BSD. ;)

ene_dene
July 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Actually not 100 times but 10 times.
0.8% X 10 = 8%
0.8% X 100 = 80%
Ouch! It happens. :)

cardinals_fan
July 7th, 2008, 08:45 PM
the Best Way Is To Make A Quality Product. Focusing On Getting More Users, Like Microsoft, Leads To Disaster.
+1

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Well, first of all, when most people talk about OSX, they say "Mac", at least in my experience, and second of all, the Linux community is very internet based. You don't go to a store to get a Linux distro, like most people would go to a store to buy a Mac, you download an iso from the distro site and burn a cd, and if you do buy a CD, you order it over the internet. Same thing for support, if someone has a problem with Linux, they almost allways go to support forums. Maybe you have know of a few cases that are different, but they would be an extreme minority. Considering this, I don't think google search results are a good thing to base that on.

Theses are good points, but I think they are arguable:

1) Many people do go to stores to buy EEE PCs.
2) There are many online stores that sell Apple computers.
3) There are many online forums that discuss OS X. OS X users as Internet aware as Linux users are.
4) I do not think Apple users would go to a store to get support in case of a problem. They are more likely to go to one of the numerous online forums.

I agree google results are not the most accurate. But they significantly disagree with "official results" that "market research companies" give us.

aysiu
July 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM
1) I don't know anyone who's gone to a store to buy a Linux-preinstalled computer. In fact, I've never seen a Linux-preinstalled computer for sale in person in my entire life. I've heard that sometimes Frye's or Wal-Mart has had such computers, but there aren't any of either of those stores near me.

I bought an Eee with Xandros preinstalled, but I did that online through NewEgg, not through a physical store.

2) There is an online store for Apple computers, but most Mac users do not buy a Mac computer sight-unseen. They've either tried one out at work, at a friend's house, or in the Apple store.

3) Online support does exist for Mac users, but many Mac users do have in-person support they can rely on (friends or family members who use Mac, or, if they have to use Mac for work, in-house tech support). A much larger percentage of Linux users rely solely on online support for technical problems.

4) I know many Mac users who have gone to the Genius Bar to get problems fixed. In fact, for the Mac users I know (with the exception of my wife, who is rather tech-savvy), that's the first place they go.

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM
2) There is an online store for Apple computers, but most Mac users do not buy a Mac computer sight-unseen. They've either tried one out at work, at a friend's house, or in the Apple store.

Did you buy your Eee online without even seeing it first? Neither in store, nor at work nor at friend's house?

aysiu
July 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Did you buy your Eee online without even seeing it first? Neither in store, nor at work nor at friend's house?
Yes. I did. I read literally hundreds of reviews and tried to weight out the pros and cons in my mind, but essentially I bought it on faith, which is kind of annoying.

I'd have loved to have seen it in a store first.

I should also mention that I know no one in person who also has an Eee (even an XP one) and that if I wanted to try out a Mac, I know at least five people in person who have them, and I have two Apple stores each a thirty-minute bus ride away.

phrostbyte
July 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
You guys are looking at it the wrong way. 0.8% is a small number, but compare what is was on the same site one year ago. Last time I recalled it was 0.36%. Now compare the growth rates of OS X and Linux. Linux is growing much faster. OS X has like a 60-70% growth rate (which is amazing on it's own), but Linux has a friggen 200+% growth rate! Overall also, Windows marketshare is declining. So 0.8% might not seem like much, but it's 0.8% and growing rapidly. So relax and enjoy the show. :)

madjr
July 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

2 Windows Vista 8.06%
3 Mac OS X 4.62%
4 Windows 2000 3.03%
5 Linux 1.95%
6 Windows 98 0.93%
7 Windows 2003 0.74%

i don't like hitslink.com, they are a non-transparent commercially biased website

Mazza558
July 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM

2 Windows Vista 8.06%
3 Mac OS X 4.62%
4 Windows 2000 3.03%
5 Linux 1.95%
6 Windows 98 0.93%
7 Windows 2003 0.74%

That's just everyone who visits w3counter- not exactly representative of an average audience. Google.com would probably be a better representation.

aysiu
July 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM
That's just everyone who visits w3counter- not exactly representative of an average audience. Google.com would probably be a better representation.

This report was generated 06/30/2008 based on the last 24,768,449 unique visits to all tracked websites at that time. W3Counter's sample currently includes 12,259 websites. The last 25,000 page views to each website are analyzed to identify unique visits. Some visits may occur before the month of the report. It's based on 12,000+ tracked websites, not the W3C website.

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I should also mention that I know no one in person who also has an Eee (even an XP one) and that if I wanted to try out a Mac, I know at least five people in person who have them, and I have two Apple stores each a thirty-minute bus ride away.

This is exactly my point: no one knows how many Linux users are out there :-) We can argue about this for hours. All I'm saying is 0.8% seems significantly lower than it really is. For example, w3schools gives 3.7% for Linux vs 4.8% for Mac. This site is developer-biased

http://w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

but at least it gives something. If you have a better way (than using google search or w3schools) to find how many Linux users are out there, please let us know.

phrostbyte
July 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM

I think hitslink is pretty accurate. I don't see many people with Linux machines and it's very hard to buy one preinstalled even considering the popular EEE PC.. Hitslink measures web hits on mainstream "stupid" websites, and we know how popular they are.

But look guys, 0.8% of the __huge__ PC market is nothing to scoff at. Considering there is over 1.5 billion PCs in use out there, that can be estimated to a nice 13 million Linux users or so. Hell probably more, since as I said, hitlinks measures websites frequented by computer illiterates. Really, that means more people use Linux then take the Celias "male enhancement" crap they advertise on TV. Think about that. Linux is more mainstream then then manhood enlargement pills.

Nothing to scoff at. At all.

:guitar:

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM

I agree, but where is this statistics on google website? I could not find it.

madjr
July 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I think hitslink is pretty accurate. I don't see many people with Linux machines and it's very hard to buy one preinstalled even considering the popular EEE PC.. Hitslink measures web hits on mainstream "stupid" websites, and we know how popular they are.

care to share those "mainstream" websites with us ??

yea am sure some of those mainstream websites you mention also include "windows software download portals" which are popular among linux users

madjr
July 7th, 2008, 09:59 PM
This is exactly my point: no one knows how many Linux users are out there :-) We can argue about this for hours. All I'm saying is 0.8% seems significantly lower than it really is. For example, w3schools gives 3.7% for Linux vs 4.8% for Mac. This site is developer-based

http://w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

but at least it gives something. If you have a better way (than using google search or w3schools) to find how many Linux users are out there, please let us know.

like this?

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 10:04 PM
yea am sure some of those mainstream websites you mention also include "windows software download portals" which are popular by linux users

This is a good point, especially considering streamlined software downloads in Ubuntu. Can markeing companies track repositories?

Dharmachakra
July 7th, 2008, 10:10 PM
You guys are looking at it the wrong way. 0.8% is a small number, but compare what is was on the same site one year ago. Last time I recalled it was 0.36%. Now compare the growth rates of OS X and Linux. Linux is growing much faster. OS X has like a 60-70% growth rate (which is amazing on it's own), but Linux has a friggen 200+% growth rate! Overall also, Windows marketshare is declining. So 0.8% might not seem like much, but it's 0.8% and growing rapidly. So relax and enjoy the show. :)

I completely agree. Just in the two years that I've used GNU/Linux I've seen exponential growth in terms of users. Sure, I'd love to start a grassroots campaign to popularize Linux in my community, but really, I don't need to. As broadband connections continue to infiltrate the homes of the less tech-oriented people, I believe we'll continue to see great growth. And the users who personally make an effort to try Linux by themselves seem to enjoy it much more in my experience.

Basically I'm taking the Taoist principal of non-action and applying it here!:KS

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM
like this?

Yes, thanks, this is a good one.

aysiu
July 7th, 2008, 10:19 PM
What website it is definitely makes a difference in terms of operating system statistics. For example, my church's website has this breakdown:
Windows 6498 72.2 %
Macintosh 2165 24 %
Unknown 223 2.4 %
Linux 100 1.1 % Now there's no way in hell Mac has 24% marketshare in general. Even though our church is not associated with Apple, we do have a lot of Mac users there (including the pastor), so their visits skew the percentages quite a bit. On the other hand, my Psychocats website, which is primarily a Ubuntu tutorials website has these stats:
Windows 324312 50 %
Linux 293093 45.2 %
Macintosh 22908 3.5 % Again, no way in hell that Linux is 45% of the market, but the site mainly hosts Linux tutorials, so that skews the results.

As madjr rightly points out, it's difficult to find a neutral website. Websites not even targeted at a specific operating system group may attract larger numbers of a particular operating system user group, and other websites that "require" IE may be attracting Linux users using the User Agent Switcher extension in Firefox.

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 10:24 PM
As broadband connections continue to infiltrate the homes of the less tech-oriented people, I believe we'll continue to see great growth

Ease of use is another factor. I personally used Slakware, Suse and Red Hat on and off. And every time after installation I had to tweak the system to adjust for my needs. Then I had a break for about 5 years when I did touch Linux. Last October I installed Ubuntu and was amazed how much progress has been made and how easy it was to install, configure and use. With broadband becoming more common and with lower and lower entry level requirements we should definitely see an increase in user base.

BDNiner
July 7th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I feel the one thing that hinders linux adoption is retail space. If OEM could place linux computers in stores like best buy and circuit city then the rate of adoption would exponential increase. Just look at Walmart's experiment with linux PC. but there also have to be employees at the stores that are trained on what linux is and how it compares to the other operating systems. so it is not an easy task. Things will look different in 5 years, maybe not %10 market share but hopefully around 2%-4% market share.

Also there is no acurate way to measure linux adoption for home users. these figures are at best a guess.

aysiu
July 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Ease of use is another factor. I personally used Slakware, Suse and Red Hat on and off. And every time after installation I had to tweak the system to adjust for my needs. Then I had a break for about 5 years when I did touch Linux. Last October I installed Ubuntu and was amazed how much progress has been made and how easy it was to install, configure and use. Well, it is for power users (right now the most likely group to try Linux for home use). You won't get a phenomenon of "normal" or "average" home users downloading, repartitioning, installing, and configuring a Linux distro, no matter how "easy" it gets. Preinstalled is the only way to get home Linux to take off.

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
As madjr rightly points out, it's difficult to find a neutral website.

I would consider google as a neutral website, but they do not publish this statistics (at least I could not find anything).

and other websites that "require" IE may be attracting Linux users using the User Agent Switcher extension in Firefox.

There are other difficulties. For example you can't just track number of requests, IP addresses associated with request need to also be taken into account. And if requests come from a corporate address, you do not really know how many people are behind a corporate gateway which uses a single IP.

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Well, it is for power users (right now the most likely group to try Linux for home use). You won't get a phenomenon of "normal" or "average" home users downloading, repartitioning, installing, and configuring a Linux distro, no matter how "easy" it gets. Preinstalled is the only way to get home Linux to take off.

This is true.

mysterymann78
July 7th, 2008, 11:02 PM
It is on the way. One of the largest PC suppliers Dell has started offering Ubuntu pre-installed on their systems as an alternative to Windows.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/segments/gen/client/en/ubuntu_landing?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Unfortunately, the page above is not the easiest to find on their website, and the saving is only about £60-£100 GBP, but it's a start I think.

Also, in my experience, the Linux distributions can be confusing, and can put people off. There is only really one Windows and one OSX (OK there are different Vista editions, but essentially all look and function the same), but Linux comes in all shapes and forms, which is part of the attraction.

However, I have always found that the linux websites can be poorly designed, making it difficult to know what to download where. Luckily, sites like the Ubuntu homepage are making this a lot easier these days, with everything a lot clearer for the casual user.

I think it would be good if there was a single website which contained links for the latest version of every distro out there, which also provided screenshots and a summary of which distribution did what and the type of user it would suit best (unless there is already one like this I don't know about).

We should remember that it is difficult for people to believe that there is a 'free lunch' out there after years of being fleeced by Microsoft and Apple.

EeePC and large distributors like Dell will help change this and show people that just because something is free doesnt mean it isnt good.

One last point, I think that most people turn to the internet as first point of support. It scheaper and easier than calling up tech support. I have used Windows forums before and they are rubbish. It takes a long time for people to respond, if they ever do, and when they do the responses are misinformed and not helpful. The windows answer to everything is "have you tried ctrl-alt-delete". This forum on the other hand is fantastic. Always quick to respond, and those responses are normally from people who actually know what they are talking about and actually want to help, which is a breath of fresh air.

I have not converted anyone yet because they all say Linux is for 'geeks', so have started showing off visual effects like desktop cube which is starting to get some interest.....I will continue to show off that my computer can now do the same tasks as windows, only faster and better, and see what happens.

madjr
July 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Well, it is for power users (right now the most likely group to try Linux for home use). You won't get a phenomenon of "normal" or "average" home users downloading, repartitioning, installing, and configuring a Linux distro, no matter how "easy" it gets. Preinstalled is the only way to get home Linux to take off.

it depends.

Everex is already selling pre-installed laptops, desktops and netbooks.

but i was shocked at reading some reviews:

“it came without instructions,will not load anything…”

“I like the laptop, the size, weight etc.. The only problem I have is that there wasn’t a user manual with it.”

“I got this as a replacement for my daughter’s old win98se. The gOS operating system is not user friendly and not intuitive. It won’t automaticly load any program even the ones made for linux. There are no on screen helps and no interactive menu’s. My daughter woulden’t have a clue- – -So, inless there is a devine intervention I will have to return it for a refund.”

They all pointed out the lack of om screen help, tutorials and manuals.

The learning curve needs to get easier.

linux adoption needs the following:

-preinstalled

-Attractive and easy to use

-fast online support & a sense of community

-Lots of tooltips, tutorials and new-user-education (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewUserEducation) (shorten the learning curve)

-rinse and repeat :)

As i remember 1 year ago, it took me over 2 weeks to get used to Festy Fawn and think outside the "Windows".

ene_dene
July 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM
In US there is much more Apple users than in Europe. For example here in Croatia I'm quite sure that Apple hasn't got more than 0.001% of share. In fact, I have never seen apple computer in my life.
Anyway it's not that important, if in best case we have 2% of Linux users, it's still not enough for hardware and software companies to stop ignoring Linux.

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Dell also sells Ubuntu computers on US market

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

but as mysterymann78 said, "the page above is not the easiest to find on their website"

yuriry
July 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
it depends.

“it came without instructions,will not load anything…”

“I like the laptop, the size, weight etc.. The only problem I have is that there wasn’t a user manual with it.”

“I got this as a replacement for my daughter’s old win98se. The gOS operating system is not user friendly and not intuitive. It won’t automaticly load any program even the ones made for linux. There are no on screen helps and no interactive menu’s. My daughter woulden’t have a clue- – -So, inless there is a devine intervention I will have to return it for a refund.”

This is why choosing the right distribution is important. I've never used gOS. If I had may be I would have written the same kind of reviews. Their website

http://www.thinkgos.com/os-products

has this quote:

“With an awesome user interface, gOS Space can be the face of Linux for the MySpace generation.” -Jim Zemlin, Executive Director of the Linux Foundation

I wonder if Jim Zemlin had tried it before making such a statement.

sdowney717
July 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Linux is the baby in the group. But it is growing bigger and stronger with time.
Reasons why people dont use linux is
they are used to using certain apps that work in windows
they think that linux has only a few apps they could use
some website apps only work for windows
windows got a big headstart
windows came on the PC when they got it.
they grew up with windows and dont like change.
they think windows is good enough, so why change.
windows simply works, if they can find all the drivers, it will work.

For me, I changed because I got tired of windows. Slow booting, always rebooting, too simple, not interesting, boring, Virus and malware worries, disk defragging. I really just wanted something different.

TBOL3
July 8th, 2008, 12:31 AM
The problems:

1. Linux needs OEMs to put it on. Which is not going to happen all at once, at best, it will be slow. At worst, we will loose all of our current OEMs. The best thing we can do is improve the os, and better document it.

2. Better websites. The ubuntu one is good. But most of them are horrible. What you think is a download page, is only a list of useless things (well, ok, I find them useful, but only because I've been using linux for 2+ years now. Oh, and linux.org is NOT helping. That site would appear to be the most obvious site to new users, but it is horrible.

3. All of the OSS fighting. You have RMS, who is always complaining, even whining, saying that we should change the name Linux to Gnu/Linux. Ya, lets change Gnu to Unix rip off/Gnu. Oh, and OSS vs. Free software... Then there's licence problems. The GPL really needs to become compatible with other OSS licences (I'm not saying it should be a BSD licence, but other licences that are similar).

4. Documentation. Have you ever read Bill Gate's open letter to hobiests. He said that the development of his version of basic was quick, the long part was bug fixes, and documentation. The development of FLOSS occurs for two main reasons. Self (company) interest(needs), and sharing it with the world. (Such as what Linus did). And 2, people do it for fun (that's why I do it, well, am beginning to do it anyway, I've only made a few small programs, which currently would be no use to anyone besides myself). But the thing with that is that it is not fun to document things, and get all the bugs out. And because there is no company to do it, it doesn't get done. (BTW, it is a good thing linux is developed for self needs/interests/fun, because people want to do something right, if it's a hobby. But the development of MS (for the avarage worker), is go to the desk¸ 9-5. If it doesn't work, who cares. Well fix it tomorrow).

Things that don't need to be done better.

1. Hardware support. Windows and mac have horrible hardware support, that's because everyone who makes their computers, make it for that OS.

2. Advertisements. Come on, word of mouth is the best type. I would rather see money put into the development of linux, then advertising it to the masses, who will just change the channel.

3. A monopoly¸ linux does NOT need more users. Sure, more would be fine, but it doesn't NEED them. Let them come on their own.

4. A good user friendly OS. Sorry, but canonical is already doing that. It takes time though. Besides, linux is already good for noobs, the only thing linux is bad for is power users. Who THINK they know all about computers.

yuriry
July 8th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Regarding gOS - Sylvania started making g notebooks:
http://sylvaniacomputers.com/wheretobuy.php

They are available online
http://sylvaniacomputers.com/wheretobuy.php

And reviews at CompUsa look good:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3747065&CatId=927