PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to format Win XP sitting on different drive than Ubuntu

kkirtac
July 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Hi, i have Ubuntu 8.04 installed in the D drive of my system and Win xp sits on the C drive. I just wanted to format my XP and install a new one to C drive. I inserted the win xp cd and it asked me to boot from cd, i said yes and it always showed black screen with no operation after then...what should i do ?

VMC
July 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hi, i have Ubuntu 8.04 installed in the D drive of my system and Win xp sits on the C drive. I just wanted to format my XP and install a new one to C drive. I inserted the win xp cd and it asked me to boot from cd, i said yes and it always showed black screen with no operation after then...what should i do ?

Are those separate hard drives or partitions?

Also, once you install XP again you are going to have to re-install Grub as well.

Are you sure the Windows XP disk is a install disk.

kkirtac
July 7th, 2008, 05:51 PM
xp is on a different drive than ubuntu but they are on the same disk..hmm yes different partitions..what do you mean by install disk and why do i have to install ubuntu again..they are on different partitions

zvacet
July 7th, 2008, 06:29 PM
what do you mean by install disk and why do i have to install ubuntu again..they are on different partitions

It mean that disc is bootable,so you can install from it.You donīt have to reinstall Ubuntu,just grub.Here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351&highlight=reinstall+grub)

kkirtac
July 7th, 2008, 07:35 PM
yes i m sure that its a bootable CD :S

kkirtac
July 8th, 2008, 08:58 PM
hmm..any suggestions about formatting the C partition in this situation ?

VMC
July 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM
hmm..any suggestions about formatting the C partition in this situation ?

Going back to your first question, "I inserted the win xp cd and it asked me to boot from cd, i said yes and it always showed black screen with no operation after then...what should i do ?"

Something is wrong with that XP install disk or maybe something in your BIOS setup. Once you insert your XP install disk it should start the process of booting up and detecting your hard drives.