PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Google Earth Hangs on INITIALIZING & reboots after 20 secs

John Kemp
July 7th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I installed Google Earth into Hardy Heron 8.04 via the Terminal using the recipe at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth
and it hangs on the initializing phase and after about 20 seconds reboots to the user login page. HELP - please! I'm moderately computer-literate with Windows XP (i.e. can solve most problems by extensive googling) but am a newbie to LINUX. AMD Processor.

Partyboi2
July 8th, 2008, 01:38 AM
What graphics card are you using? When you start it from the terminal are you getting any error messages?

John Kemp
July 8th, 2008, 01:29 PM
What graphics card are you using? When you start it from the terminal are you getting any error messages?

I have the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS graphics card. I get no error messages with Google Earth, but the same behaviour whether I launch it from the Applications menu, the desktop shortcut I created, or from Terminal: the splash screen comes up plus a minimised "Initialising..." message, and then the system spontaeously reboots. I get no error messages.

I should add that Google Earth installed an runs perfectly on my XP bootup. On further reading I had it in mind to unistall GE from Ubuntu, and reinstall from the Medibuntu repository, but there is no hurry for this as I can access the program on XP. Therefore, if it helps the community to investigate the problem as I have reported it, and Partyboi2 or someone else can tell me what to try - bearing in mind I'm a newbie - I'm happy to stay with it and try a few fixes, but cannot spend hours on it.

cdoebbler
July 10th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Just adding my voice to the hapless Google Earth users. Running Hardy (Ubuntu 8.4.1 // Linux 2.6.24-19-generic (i686) on a Sony Vaio (PCG-TR3A). Display is at 1664X768 pixels and Mesa GLX indirect Open GL rendering. No error message. just hangs (apparently) then reboots.

This happened with both GE 4.2 and 4.3.

:confused:

John Kemp
July 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
As no-one has taken up my offer to assist an investigation of this, I plan to go ahead and uninstall Google Earth and reinstall via the Medibuntu repository when I have time.

stchman
July 14th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I installed Google Earth into Hardy Heron 8.04 via the Terminal using the recipe at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth
and it hangs on the initializing phase and after about 20 seconds reboots to the user login page. HELP - please! I'm moderately computer-literate with Windows XP (i.e. can solve most problems by extensive googling) but am a newbie to LINUX. AMD Processor.

That is because you do not have any openGL or Mesa drivers installed.

Since you are using an Nvidia 7300GS then simply enable the restricted driver.

I recommend you install Google Earth via Synaptic using Medibuntu.

http://www.stchman.com/dvd_rip.html

Follow the Medibuntu repository install and type:

sudo apt-get install googleearth

This way it can be completely uninstalled.