PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install Mint without disturbing Ubuntu settings?

aman.agx
July 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hi all,
I am new to the ubuntu community. I have just installed the Hardy Heron.
I want to install Linux Mint. But I have already downloaded lot many packages and done many customisations to the OS.

How can I install Mint without having to download the packages again and saving my settings also. these are pretty basic packages. python libraries, drivers for NVIDIA. etc.

Will I have to reformat my drive?

Pumalite
July 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Make a separate space for Mint and install Grub to it's own parition(editing Ubuntu's menu.lst later) or let it install to MBR and you will have dual boot. Mint is Ubuntu based, but they are two different distros.

Rallg
July 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Maybe the original question was misunderstood?

AMAN: Are you trying to do this: Install Mint, so that it has the packages and settings that you already have in Ubuntu, but without having to download and configure numerous packages for Mint?

In other words, is it the case that you want to duplicate your Ubuntu system, but then transform the duplicate into Mint?

lazyart
July 7th, 2008, 04:40 PM
You can install Mint and keep your settings IF you have put /home on a seperate partition. You would install Mint, assign the /home partition as the same but DON'T FORMAT it. But you would have to still install packages unfortunately.

What will happen though (because I've done this) is that you'll have Mint that looks a lot like Ubuntu.

aman.agx
July 8th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Already happy to be a part if this community. Ask a question and you would be helped here. :)

I had lots of issues getting my NVIDIA to work. I hope I dont have the same issues again with Mint.

What I plan to do now is format my drive and install Mint. I think its best to install fresh to get the original flavour.
I hope there are more things packaged with Mint so that I dont have to download all the the codecs and stuff again.

Thanks
Aman

I go to school, but I never learn what I want to know.

P.S. - I learn it here :)

alexstrand7
August 18th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I found this! How to install linux mint inside ubuntu, wasn't it that you meant to do?

http://www.khattam.info/howto-convert-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-to-linux-mint-9-isadora-2010-08-20.html
Just add the mint repositories to synaptics next time.:)

Alex!