PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screen will not wake up after switch to text mode

davidshere
July 7th, 2008, 02:11 PM
On the weekends, I often stop GDM to save memory and CPU for other applications. I do this:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
and enter my password. Everything is fine. Then then I come back on Monday, the screen is powered off (sleeping), and nothing will wake it up. I log on through SSH from a different machine, and I've tried this:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
and this:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
and tried other tips for recovering from a blank screen, including changing the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file to include the line AlwaysRestartServer=true and changing /etc/X11/xorg.conf to include the line Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP" under the Section "Screen". No love. I cannot find any posts with someone having a similar problem to mine. Most "my screen is blank" posts describe the problem happening on startup, after logging out, or during installation. Mine is happening only when I switch to text mode and leave the computer, presumably long enough for the power save to put it to sleep. I also tried turning the screen off and back on again, and when it comes back on it's still in sleep mode.

Rebooting works, but this is Linux. I only reboot on kernel changes and power outages.

Background on my machine: It's a Dell Dimension 3100, unmodified except to trash the Windows hard drive, and add an HP DVD burner, and upgrade to 2GB RAM. My monitor is DELL E173FP and my graphics card is Device "Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller" according to the xorg.conf file -- the onboard video. I installed Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop on it last year and I've upgraded to Hardy since then. While I've installed the Desktop version of Ubuntu, I run several server applications such as apache and MySQL. I also run a CentOS virtual machine for use as a mailserver. Sometimes on weekends I turn of GDM so that these applications and the virtual machine can have more memory.

davidshere
July 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
bump