PDA

View Full Version : i cant decide!!!

paul101
July 7th, 2008, 01:35 PM
i'm looking at getting a second laptop... a linux laptop. i'm split between the eeepc and dells Inspiron 1525

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1461908927.121543344 7@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdiadeeidlmfljcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=501232&category_oid=

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1525?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~oid=uk~en~20211~july_inspnnb_1525_ubuntu_n0752515 ~~

i like the size and the price of the eeepc, but is the os as good as ubuntu?? and how is the small screen on the eee?? :confused:

or is there any cheap laptops that work well with ubuntu?

heeeeeelp!

nikgare
July 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Aparteny lot of people have put Hardy on an eeepc.
Threre are a few posts in these forums or you could try googling to see how easy it is to set up on one.

bobbob1016
July 7th, 2008, 01:40 PM
The eeepc runs Xandros. I've never run it, but I know you can install Ubuntu on it. I'm looking into one of these http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3747065&sku=D516-7001&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2001-_-Laptops_D516-7001 same price as the eeepc, and it has a 30gig HD. The screen on both of them is 7 inches diagonal.

Edit: All you basically have to do to install Ubuntu on the eeepc is make a USB Thumb Drive Install, or LiveUSB, and boot from there.

BigSilly
July 7th, 2008, 01:57 PM
The missus had the same dilemma not too long ago. She ended up going for the Dell, since it offered better value for money she said. I think the thing was she wanted to be able to do OU coursework on it, and you're not really going to be able to do that on an EeePC.

She's loving the Dell so far though. It's got Gutsy on it, but I'm still trying to persuade her to let me put Hardy on it. But it all works beautifully and it's all good.

Myself I like the Eee, but it's a bit pricey isn't it? I thought the whole point was that these things were supposed to be cheap...?

paul101
July 7th, 2008, 02:11 PM
well, i think the dell would suit me better... i would go for the dual core processor. making it 130ish more expencive than the eeepc

i do like the size of the eeepc... but how is the small screen to use? :confused:

bryncoles
July 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM
i recently bought a dell inspiron 1525 with gutsy - now they seem to ship with hardy though, which is good!

im very happy with mine and can endorse them whole-heartedly. and second the motion for a core-duo 2 processor!

i would buy the dell...

paul101
July 7th, 2008, 02:27 PM
i may aswell get the dell... but i only have 200

i'll have to wait until Wednesday for my 17th bday maybe someone will donate money :lolflag:

the other half of me is saying, ive got the money... go out and buy an eee...

kevin11951
July 7th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Ubuntu Eee is Ubuntu optimized for the small Asus Eee PC.
The wiki contains 111 articles, is translated into French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian and is the main source of information about running Ubuntu on the Asus Eee. If you've never used a wiki before, check out our Help page.

http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/index.php5?title=Main_Page

intense.ego
July 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Personally, I would get an MSI WIND because it combines the best of both. It is pricier here in the UK compared to the US but it is still well-priced. You could also get the Acer Aspire One which is cheaper.

paul101
July 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
You could also get the Acer Aspire One which is cheaper.

looking into that... where could i get one?? or when do they go on sale

timcredible
July 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
not sure what the exchange rate is, but i got a dell vostro 1000 for $500US including tax and shipping, and i could've got it for $450 if i cut back on stuff. it has: 2gb memory, 120gb drive, ati 1150, dvd burner, wireless. sd reader, 4 usb ports everything works on it, but i haven't tried the modem. may be worth a look. i think you can only get to see the vostro from the small business link on dell.com.