PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GUI Freezes Since Installation

Newbsrus
July 7th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I have recently installed Ubuntu and got almost everything back up and running. I had a few issues getting my wireless network card but other than that it has been a fairly smooth transition.

There is one seemingly small, but recurring and possibly hardware damaging problem though: Almost every 4-5 hours that my computer is running the GUI will completely freeze up. I can't open a single program or run any scripts at all. Even opening Terminal freezes it so I have to end it with a Force Quit. Every single part of Ubuntu that has to do with UI just stops responding.

The odd part is that it isn't a system wide freeze. Any program that was open before the problem functions almost perfectly for a while after this happens. The only way for this to end is a hard reboot. Even hitting ctrl-alt-backspace to restart the interface appears to work at first, but won't load the desktop after entering my login info.

I am a complete loss of a solution, and have exhausted almost every resource that I can find. Any help at all would be extremely appreciated.

--Frustrated Geek :)

Newbsrus
July 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Anyone at all for some help? I've been thinking I might have to try another distro of Linux because this cannot go on much longer.