PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Help

adamant715
July 7th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Whenever I try to test Ubuntu it gets to the desktop like this (http://www.krizka.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/screenshot.png) except only the image, and it just sits there doing nothing. I checked the CD for defects and it found none...any help?

doas777
July 7th, 2008, 02:50 AM
hmmm. what kind of video card do you have?
I've had a simmillar problem with a box that is too old to handle compiz effects. I don;t know how you might do it, but i would try to turn compiz off. also you might want to try your install again, since what can it hurt.

good luck

adamant715
July 7th, 2008, 03:09 AM
And how might I do that..?

wolfen69
July 7th, 2008, 03:10 AM
when you say "test ubuntu", do you mean the live cd?

askreet
July 7th, 2008, 03:11 AM
You're talking about the LiveCD right? If you go to the boot options menu before selecting "Test Ubuntu" (or whatever it says), you can enter a command to install safe graphics mode. This should disable compiz effects and other extensions that do not work on your hardware.

Out of curiosity, what kind of video card do you have? Also, how slow is this computer, the LiveCD can take some time to load on slower hardware.

adamant715
July 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I have an Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller thats all I know..And my computers not too slow..but it is a little.