PDA

View Full Version : MSI Wind Linux?

jalebi
July 7th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I'm looking to buy the MSI Wind, but I can only see the XP version for sale. Is there anywhere that sells the cheaper Suse version, or is it going to be released later?

madjr
July 7th, 2008, 02:10 AM
i also want the linux version and don't want to pay the m$ tax

smartboyathome
July 7th, 2008, 03:04 AM
You can sell the copy of windows that comes with the computer back to MSI, they are required to allow you to do that by law (in the U.S., at least). Though the Linux version will be downgraded as well as lower priced. :(

RebounD11
July 7th, 2008, 04:20 AM
You can sell the copy of windows that comes with the computer back to MSI, they are required to allow you to do that by law (in the U.S., at least). Though the Linux version will be downgraded as well as lower priced. :(

mv /US/that_law /Romania/new_law && apply_new_law

Believe it or not by our law they are not required to allow you to sell back that copy of Windows if they don't agree. I got laughed at when I pointed out that sth similar is written in the MS Windows EULA :|

solitaire
July 7th, 2008, 04:30 AM
The idea is to select "NO" when asked to agree to the EULA" at which time you can contact the seller and ask for a reimburment for the copy of Windows you have refused to install (As per the EULA). They can NOT refuse to reimburse you since you did not have a choice of refusing the OS at time of purchace. They will make you jump through hoops (Literally!! you're lucky they don't put you in for a Linbo comp!!) to get the refund though...

But their Microsoft is on your side on this. Since it states in the EULA if you do NOT AGREE to the licence, click no and return for a refund. :D

gn2
July 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'm looking to buy the MSI Wind, but I can only see the XP version for sale. Is there anywhere that sells the cheaper Suse version, or is it going to be released later?

Where are you located?

The MSI Wind Linux versions are listed for pre-order at various sellers in the UK.
For example: http://www.expansys.com/c.aspx?t=cat&f=1468

But they're significantly more expensive than the Linux Acer Aspire One.
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5825940/Acer-Aspire-One-A110L-Atom-N270-1-6GHz-512MB-8GB-SSD-8-9-Linux-NetBook-White/Product.html

fatality_uk
July 7th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Where are you located?

The MSI Wind Linux versions are listed for pre-order at various sellers in the UK.
For example: http://www.expansys.com/c.aspx?t=cat&f=1468

But they're significantly more expensive than the Linux Acer Aspire One.
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5825940/Acer-Aspire-One-A110L-Atom-N270-1-6GHz-512MB-8GB-SSD-8-9-Linux-NetBook-White/Product.html

10% saving with Linux ;) not bad :D

jalebi
July 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I live in London, but I'm planning to pick an MSI Wind for $399 in the states as that translates to 200 quid, a huge discount over the 320 I would have to pay here. Only problem is, I can only find the $500 dollar version in american online stores and not the $399 linux version. So does anyone know an american shop where I can buy the linux version?

gn2
July 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Do you know if there will actually be a US Linux version of the MSI Wind?

I would strongly recommend against buying in the US if it is for use in the UK.

eldragon
July 7th, 2008, 01:21 PM
i bought this notebook (everex SA t2053) and i did refuse the vista EULA. i tried contacting everex for a refund and they not only laughed at me, but they stated that i would not be eligible for free support if i removed the OS...

Mr. Picklesworth
July 7th, 2008, 03:36 PM
i bought this notebook (everex SA t2053) and i did refuse the vista EULA. i tried contacting everex for a refund and they not only laughed at me, but they stated that i would not be eligible for free support if i removed the OS...Gee, and their free support has really shown some positive signs so far. It would be horrible to lose contact with such a delightful group of people!

joninkrakow
July 7th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Do you know if there will actually be a US Linux version of the MSI Wind?

I would strongly recommend against buying in the US if it is for use in the UK.

I thought I read somewhere that the only version of the Wind that is going to be available in the US is the 10" Windows version, not the smaller one, nor with Linux. :-(

I believe I've read this on laptopmag.com and maybe liliputing and maybe msinet...

BTW, there is a Wind clone available in the UK. I almost had a friend buy me one and bring it with me when he came this weekend to visit... changed my mind at the last second... :-(

-Jon

copyleft
July 7th, 2008, 04:14 PM
The Amazon website suggests that the MSI wind with Linux will be available in the US, and that it has already sold out. You can sign up to be notified when it becomes available again.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Laptop-Intel-Processor-Novell/dp/B001ATA5VE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215443267&sr=8-1

The Asus Eee 1000 will also become available very soon, and you can place an order for that machine already on Amazon. Notice however the extra $300 price tag!

http://www.amazon.com/Display-Intel-Processor-Solid-State/dp/B001BYD16E/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215234636&sr=8-11

It does come with a 40 gb solid state drive, better battery life, 1 gb ram (versus 512 mb), and from what I've read, a 2 year warranty versus a 1 year.

I think I will go for the Wind for its price. I can wait about 4 weeks to get it. If it doesn't become available for shipment by then, I will have to look for a different netbook or succumb to buying it with lousy Windows.

jalebi
July 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
*bump*

intense.ego
July 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
In the UK you can find it for 280 pounds as the rebranded Advent 4211.

jomiolto
July 8th, 2008, 01:40 PM
The idea is to select "NO" when asked to agree to the EULA" at which time you can contact the seller and ask for a reimburment for the copy of Windows you have refused to install (As per the EULA). They can NOT refuse to reimburse you since you did not have a choice of refusing the OS at time of purchace. They will make you jump through hoops (Literally!! you're lucky they don't put you in for a Linbo comp!!) to get the refund though...

But their Microsoft is on your side on this. Since it states in the EULA if you do NOT AGREE to the licence, click no and return for a refund. :D

I don't know the laws in the rest of the EU (and other parts of the world), but at least here in Finland EULAs are not legally enforceable (I'm not sure if they have any relevance in the Finnish legal system) and because of that you can't get a refund for disagreeing with the EULA. It might be the same in some other countries too...

billgoldberg
July 8th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I don't know the laws in the rest of the EU (and other parts of the world), but at least here in Finland EULAs are not legally enforceable (I'm not sure if they have any relevance in the Finnish legal system) and because of that you can't get a refund for disagreeing with the EULA. It might be the same in some other countries too...

Same here.

That's why it might also be legal to install OSX on a normal pc here.

But that theory hasn't been tested in court.

deadite66
July 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
hopefully get my advent 4211 delivered tomorrow yay.
will wipe xp and install ubuntu o/

Happibun
September 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
deadite66 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=108576), How did it go?

deadite66
September 18th, 2008, 10:35 PM
deadite66 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=108576), How did it go?

ubuntu work out of the box apart from the realtek wifi
if you follow the guide on msiwind.net (http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04_Hardy_Heron#Option_2:_Compiling_Driver s_for_the_Supplied_Wireless_Card) you can get that working.

it runs nicely, compiz works great, though standby doesn't work (ubuntu kernel bug) and that should be fixed in Intrepid.

kstella
September 19th, 2008, 02:07 AM
@deadite

I just bought an MSI Wind. It was OS-less, but the guys at the shop installed a trial version of XP (no extra charge) just so I could test all the bells and whistles. Having determined that the bells were all ringing and the whistles all whistling, within ten minutes, I was reaching for a Linux installer. :p

Did you have problems with the screen resolution when installing Ubuntu? My first try to install Linux was with Puppy, but it didn't detect the screen settings.

deadite66
September 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM
nope detected 1024x600 straight away with ubuntu.

victor9098
September 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Not just MSI it...

...is also known as the Advent 4211 in the UK; Medion Akoya Mini in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, The Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark & Spain; MyBook M11 Freedom in Denmark; Mouse Computer in Japan; Tsunami Moover T10 in Portugal; Mivvy M310 in the Czech Republic; Casper Minibook in Turkey; Datron Mobee N011 also in Turkey; Proline U100 in South Africa; CMS ICBook M1 in Vietnam; Roverbook Neo U100 in Russia...

That is from a rep at lion battery who are now selling the official MSI 6 cell battery and have their own 9-cell on the way. With this proving so popular would there be anyway to get this as an 'approved' development netbook for Ubuntu Netbook Remix? The model is cheap, widely available & from the amount of support forums on the net it seems to be a success.

tron^qld
September 20th, 2008, 07:40 AM
@deadite

Did you have problems with the screen resolution when installing Ubuntu? My first try to install Linux was with Puppy, but it didn't detect the screen settings.

No it picked the res straight away with no probs, 1024x600 also gave the options of 800x600 and 640x480.

only had a few probs with the screen where it wasn't scaling the progs in the screen where it would over scale it below the screen.

Just to set the screen up the way that I see it on other ppls screen shots...

Don't give up on it, and I am not running the remix version as yet, thinking that I might stay this way for a while, the only thing that I have found is that it doesn't have the same battery performance as what XP did. any ideas or know where I can get the 27 kernel, I have run an update from the Aus Internode site (my ISP gives free downloads off their servers) so I am thinking that maybe they just don't have it yet...

berttt
September 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM
sorry to pump a older topic, but anyone who is looking to buy a MSI Wind and put linux on it, don't buy the one with Windows XP. You can buy the same notebook, for $399 that comes preloaded Linux Novell SUSE :D looking for one now, currently all out of stock :) Save some money if you don't want a extra XP key.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Laptop-Processor-Novell-Battery/dp/B001ATDOQM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222798718&sr=1-6

ppcprisoner
May 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM
mv /US/that_law /Romania/new_law && apply_new_law

Believe it or not by our law they are not required to allow you to sell back that copy of Windows if they don't agree. I got laughed at when I pointed out that sth similar is written in the MS Windows EULA :|
Do you mean cp? I think though that sellers should just provide lower cost alternatives with linux distros on them. They could even subsidise a fraction of the cost by charging a little extra for having Linux on it instead of Windows. We need let manufacturers know what we want. It's kind of surprising though that you don't have a law like that in Romania, whereas we do so in the U.S. (idk how "progressive" Romania is)

Johnsie
May 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I would stay away from the MSI Wind. I bought one for my girlfriend and it was fast but the speakers on it sucked big time. They were the quietest speakers I have ever heard on a netbook. If you buy a netbook make sure you listen to some music on it first to check the speakers are ok and also play round with the keys to make sure it's ok for typing. Those are the two main things that can cause problems on netbooks. Seriously, there is a big difference with sound on different netbooks so it's worth shopping around. The MSI wind sounds very very quiet compared to my eeepc and my advent netbook.

cariboo
May 19th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Why was this 2 year old thread resurrected? Closed.