PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] how do I use the archive manager?

adamogardner
July 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
i downloaded ndiswrapper but how does the extract work. now I have a box and a folder on my desktop. I don't like things on my desktop, so where should I put it? when I open the folder it's just a bunch of files. isn't this supposed to run? It's an application right? so why doesn't it apply?

LinuxFox
July 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
If you mean the default archive manager, you can use the Extract button on the toolbar to browse to where you want to save it. You can even create a folder to put it in. That's how I tried it and what I know. I hope this helps.

adamogardner
July 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
how do I run it is wwhat I want to know most of all?

Tomatz
July 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Where did you download ndiswrapper from?

You dont need to compile it, its in the repos (synaptic). If you cant get on the net, just download the two packages (below) and double click on them.

http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/n/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-common_1.50-1ubuntu1_all.deb

http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/n/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.50-1ubuntu1_i386.deb

;)

adamogardner
July 6th, 2008, 02:48 PM
i was instructed to download the more up to date version from sourceforge. besides this is basic skills isn't it? I ought to know how to download anyway. It's just strange so I tried this:

adamogardner@CRONUS:~$ tar zxvf ndiswrapper-verion.tar.gz
tar: ndiswrapper-verion.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
adamogardner@CRONUS:~$

there were some instructions in the folder this was the first thing to do and once again nothingn is straight forward. here's the instruction:

Downloading
===========

Download the latest version of the ndiswrapper sources from here and
extract it with the command

tar zxvf ndiswrapper-version.tar.gz

This will create ndiswrapper-version directory. Change to that
directory and run

make uninstall
make

Login as root and run
make install

Tomatz
July 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
i was instructed to download the more up to date version from sourceforge. besides this is basic skills isn't it? I ought to know how to download anyway. It's just strange so I tried this:

adamogardner@CRONUS:~$ tar zxvf ndiswrapper-verion.tar.gz
tar: ndiswrapper-verion.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
adamogardner@CRONUS:~$

there were some instructions in the folder this was the first thing to do and once again nothingn is straight forward. here's the instruction:

Downloading
===========

Download the latest version of the ndiswrapper sources from here and
extract it with the command

This will create ndiswrapper-version directory. Change to that
directory and run

make uninstall
make

Login as root and run
make install

You need to be in the same directory as the archive. If the archive is on the desktop change directory like this:

cd ~/Desktop

That is case sensitive^ (capital D)

Then

;)

adamogardner
July 6th, 2008, 03:09 PM
thankyou. this is BS though. Nothing should be so difficult. Your first suggestion is the one I'm going with since it's the only one that wants to work. maybe they'll update it for me.

Tomatz
July 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
thankyou. this is BS though. Nothing should be so difficult. Your first suggestion is the one I'm going with since it's the only one that wants to work. maybe they'll update it for me.

Because there are so many different Linux kernels when software is developed it is released as source so the user can compile it to fit his/her system. A package (.deb) is precompiled and packaged for your system so it can be easily installed much like a windows installer.

Even windows software needs to be compiled before it can be ran but because there is only one (or only a few) kernel/OS it needs to be compiled for, you never have to do this yourself.

Compiling is easy once you get the hang of it.

Usually compiling consists of (in order):

cd /to/the/app/directory

./configure (Will output any dependancys you may need to compile. Install them via synaptic)

make (compiles)

sudo make install (installs the compiled app)

Done ;)

adamogardner
July 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM
thanks for the tip. I AM getting the hang of this. I'd rather compile than not compile any day of the week. Cute baby btw.

Tomatz
July 6th, 2008, 11:41 PM
thanks for the tip. I AM getting the hang of this. I'd rather compile than not compile any day of the week. Cute baby btw.

Once you get the hang of compiling once, you'll be able to do it a thousand times.