PDA

View Full Version : OMG..., i think all the big flash bugs were fixed :0

madjr
April 27th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Please vote at the adobe website to get flash fixed!

main flash bugs (but please report any new bug you find):

Choppy and jerky compared to that of the "other" OSs:
http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-83
http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-114
http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-7

hardware acceleration does not work
http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-205

javascript menus behind flash bug
http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-120
http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-80

If you ever had a crash or have seen flash eat up your CPU then why haven't you voted already?? :confused:

Aside from pulseaudio,
Slower the performance = more crashes.

really low number of voters....pitty.:(

Yeah, this bug is really annoying, i registered and left a comment, cuz i'm so sick of us linux users taking a back seat in adobes priorities

update: they are now looking into it (+20 votes), but priority is set to NONE, we need more votes so they can make it a priority for next version !

With 100 voters they might change it to mid or High !! Vote and spread the Word now !!

--UPDATE--

flash 10 BETA 2

try it yourself

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/07/05/installing-flash-player-10-prerelease-on-linux/

fullscreen speed is better or fixed (on some video cards), javascript menus fixed (but some tearing) and most crashes :O

the dell website now works fine

1st tested in old PC with 256mb ram + geforce 5200. Flash 10 pre-release Works like a charm, fullscreen youtube goes fast. :)

2nd tested on Dell 1420 Dual-core geforce 8400GS + 1gb ram. For some weird reason Xorg process takes 50% CPU and goes really slow (with or without 3d effects). Re-installed Flash 9,0,48 and things are normal now... no flash 10 for this one :(

is it my Nvidia 8XXX card drivers that affect Xorg?

--Edit--

Never mind, Xorg only peeks on some websites, fullscreen youtube speed is doing fine, except some minor glitches.

Note: This has been a Win for the community. I would like to thank the people who reported and the hundreds who voted at Adobe.

Polygon
April 27th, 2008, 05:51 AM
flash also needs to add pulseaudio support or somtehing cause when a flash video tries to play with other things using sound, it just freezes.

jrusso2
April 27th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Yeah I had a feeling pulse was going to be a problem with flash. Anyways flash works ok for me does seem to use more cpu then it should seems to be the main issue I have.

madjr
April 27th, 2008, 07:40 PM
this going to get bumped till a decent number of u vote.

I think it would be better of as sticky

fedex1993
April 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM
The question is will this really actually fix flash. :guitar: :p

madjr
April 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM
The question is will this really actually fix flash. :guitar: :p

they won't make it priority for next release if no one votes... don't you think?

they got a new bug tracking system to identify bugs based on Votes, so with at least 100 voters we should be good.

Darkhack
April 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
What we should be demanding is that Adobe open source the flash player. This is bull. They make their money by selling the Flash authoring tools, not the player. In fact they want to get the player out as much as possible so that people will use Flash. If 95% of home users didn't have flash, no one would use it. If Adobe open sourced it, we'd get a better quality player, people could ship with it by default, and that includes Windows and OS X shipping with it too. I really admire the Gnash and swfdec developers efforts. They're doing Adobe's job for them which is just pathetic on Adobe's part.

What we really need is a true, open standard to replace Flash. We have SVG but we need elements for audio and video (like in HTML 5) and ways to animate SVG and synchronize it to music and stuff. Basically it should be powerful enough to do everything that flash can but also more integrated into web pages. For example I can have HTML elements like drop downs and buttons that can communicate with the media and it's not confined to a box like flash is. The whole page can act like flash while still being plain HTML. Think of it like an HTML page with SVG graphics, animated with javascript, and audio controls so that background music is in synch too.

Tomatz
April 27th, 2008, 08:57 PM
No photoshop after years of petitions and begging.

Useless slow acroread.

And now no flash?

Seems like a downward trend to me. Adobe have seen gnash and thought oh well lets save ourselves a few bucks.

:(

billgoldberg
April 27th, 2008, 11:00 PM
2 of your links don't work.

Anyway, I've signed up and voted for the cause.

It's the only thing that ever bugged me about ubuntu. I watch a lot of flash content on lots of different sites.

madjr
April 28th, 2008, 12:36 AM
2 of your links don't work.

Anyway, I've signed up and voted for the cause.

It's the only thing that ever bugged me about ubuntu. I watch a lot of flash content on lots of different sites.

retry now

madjr
April 28th, 2008, 09:10 AM
What we should be demanding is that Adobe open source the flash player. This is bull. They make their money by selling the Flash authoring tools, not the player. In fact they want to get the player out as much as possible so that people will use Flash. If 95% of home users didn't have flash, no one would use it. If Adobe open sourced it, we'd get a better quality player, people could ship with it by default, and that includes Windows and OS X shipping with it too. I really admire the Gnash and swfdec developers efforts. They're doing Adobe's job for them which is just pathetic on Adobe's part.

What we really need is a true, open standard to replace Flash. We have SVG but we need elements for audio and video (like in HTML 5) and ways to animate SVG and synchronize it to music and stuff. Basically it should be powerful enough to do everything that flash can but also more integrated into web pages. For example I can have HTML elements like drop downs and buttons that can communicate with the media and it's not confined to a box like flash is. The whole page can act like flash while still being plain HTML. Think of it like an HTML page with SVG graphics, animated with javascript, and audio controls so that background music is in synch too.

i would settle with just a few bug fixes.

jespdj
April 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I see so many people complaining about Adobe Flash crashing, or that it doesn't work properly or is hard to install, especially on 64-bit systems.

I wonder if I'm lucky, because I've never had much problems with Flash on 32-bit Gutsy and 64-bit Hardy on different computers. It's easy to install and works without crashing or other problems. I've never experienced the slow video problems as described in those bug reports (on Firefox 2 and Firefox 3b5).

Even though I don't have problems with Adobe Flash, I'd prefer an open source implementation. Unfortunately the current FOSS implementations of Flash (gnash and swfdec) aren't yet good enough to replace Adobe Flash.

billgoldberg
April 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM
To help spread the word, I've put it on my blog.

If you have a blog (linux related or not) put it up there.

I want to see this fixed and the more people who vote, the faster it will get worked on.

(link to blog in sig)

Slorg
April 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
It may be a Noob question but how and where do you vote?

madjr
April 29th, 2008, 10:11 AM
It may be a Noob question but how and where do you vote?

the Links are in the first post of this thread :)

if u need more help just ask

madjr
April 29th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I see so many people complaining about Adobe Flash crashing, or that it doesn't work properly or is hard to install, especially on 64-bit systems.

I wonder if I'm lucky, because I've never had much problems with Flash on 32-bit Gutsy and 64-bit Hardy on different computers. It's easy to install and works without crashing or other problems. I've never experienced the slow video problems as described in those bug reports (on Firefox 2 and Firefox 3b5).

Even though I don't have problems with Adobe Flash, I'd prefer an open source implementation. Unfortunately the current FOSS implementations of Flash (gnash and swfdec) aren't yet good enough to replace Adobe Flash.

fullscreen youtube goes fast for u?

u should compare with windows flash to have an idea.

madjr
April 30th, 2008, 08:42 PM
No photoshop after years of petitions and begging.

Useless slow acroread.

And now no flash?

Seems like a downward trend to me. Adobe have seen gnash and thought oh well lets save ourselves a few bucks.

:(

yea sadly, but if we don't vote we won't get any priority, we need to grab their attentions

gardara
April 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Flash has been eating up my cpu since I upgraded to hardy. This needs to be fixed.

I just votend and am going to let some of my friends do so too.

klerfayt
April 30th, 2008, 10:07 PM
why haven't you voted already??well. For a start I was not aware of Adobe's public bugtracker.
I only ever used their automated feedback form http://www.adobe.com/bin/fp9betafeedback.cgi quite some time ago.
But I gave my vote now for Flash movies over all the elements bug.

ubuntu-freak
April 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but try the following to improve Flash performance:

sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree libflashsupport

The purge command is a "just incase" measure and the libflashsupport package adds PulseAudio support to Adobe Flash.

Nathan

mgmiller
May 1st, 2008, 12:10 AM
sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree libflashsupport

I just checked my installed packages. I have a gutsy upgraded to hardy install. The only package I have is the flashplugin-nonfree. I do not have libflashsupport installed. I can watch youtube and google flash videos fine. Even full screen is good without skipping and properly synched sound. I looked in my System > Preferences > Sound and everything was set to autodetect. Trying the "test" tone produces a short skip, If I change to Alsa, the test tone plays cleanly. I tried changing the setting from autodetect to pulseaudio, which produces the skip with the test tone (telling me the auto setting is using pulseaudio) and went back to youtube and everything is still fine.

I decided not to install the libflashsupport package because I don't want to fix something that's not broken.

madjr
May 1st, 2008, 04:17 AM
I just checked my installed packages. I have a gutsy upgraded to hardy install. The only package I have is the flashplugin-nonfree. I do not have libflashsupport installed. I can watch youtube and google flash videos fine. Even full screen is good without skipping and properly synched sound. I looked in my System > Preferences > Sound and everything was set to autodetect. Trying the "test" tone produces a short skip, If I change to Alsa, the test tone plays cleanly. I tried changing the setting from autodetect to pulseaudio, which produces the skip with the test tone (telling me the auto setting is using pulseaudio) and went back to youtube and everything is still fine.

I decided not to install the libflashsupport package because I don't want to fix something that's not broken.

you probably have v9,0,48 of flash

it's not the one we're talking about here.

we're speaking of the newer v9,0,115 and 124

just do a clean install of ubuntu and you'll see

ubuntu-freak
May 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM
All you have to do is check the description of libflashsupport, it's not some theory I came up with. My Flash streaming worked (as PulseAudio does support apps wanting Alsa), but was very jittery at times before I installed libflashsupport.

Nathan

z0mbie
May 1st, 2008, 05:12 AM
Solution:

sudo aptitude install libflashsupport

ubuntu-freak
May 1st, 2008, 05:37 AM
Solution:

sudo aptitude install libflashsupport

I posted the most thorough solution on the previous page, that's what we were commenting on.

Nathan

Edit: This post

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but try the following to improve Flash performance:

The purge command is a "just incase" measure and the libflashsupport package adds PulseAudio support to Adobe Flash.

Nathan

mpince
May 1st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Adobe have apparently dropped the licensing fees surrounding swv & flv:

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/04/adobe-drops-lic.html

mgmiller
May 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM

No, I have v 9.0.124.
I did find that if I visited other flash sites, like:
http://ironmanmovie.marvel.com/
I do see the lagging and "slide show effect" that everyone is talking about. In fact, I just noticed that just having that tab open in FF while I was typing this reply, caused my keyboard to act laggy. As soon as I closed the tab, keyboard action returned to normal. Sound, however, seemed to be okay. Youtube and google videos continue to work fine.

Edit:
I just installed the liblflashsupport package, but it did not seem to have any effect on the above site.

sloggerkhan
May 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145367/adobe_establishes_open_screen_project_for_flash_ai r.html
Well, even if the haven't made their's open, they've at least legitimized open source implementations it sounds like?

ubuntu-freak
May 1st, 2008, 01:03 PM
No, I have v 9.0.124.
I did find that if I visited other flash sites, like:
http://ironmanmovie.marvel.com/
I do see the lagging and "slide show effect" that everyone is talking about. In fact, I just noticed that just having that tab open in FF while I was typing this reply, caused my keyboard to act laggy. As soon as I closed the tab, keyboard action returned to normal. Sound, however, seemed to be okay. Youtube and google videos continue to work fine.

Edit:
I just installed the liblflashsupport package, but it did not seem to have any effect on the above site.

Did you purge/install flashplugin-nonfree as well? Sometimes worth doing after it's upgraded too, don't ask me why.

Nathan

mgmiller
May 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM
I just voted on the Adobe site for the 2 bugs listed in the first post. Wow, the Adobe site really stinks!!! It's the slowest forum I have ever worked with. ](*,) Takes forever to load and save changes. Usually, I have to reload the page to see what happened.

madjr
May 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I just voted on the Adobe site for the 2 bugs listed in the first post. Wow, the Adobe site really stinks!!! It's the slowest forum I have ever worked with. ](*,) Takes forever to load and save changes. Usually, I have to reload the page to see what happened.

yep kinda slow here too

Bakon Jarser
May 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Now that Adobe has opened the flash API we should start seeing improved flash support. http://www.adobe.com/openscreenproject/

digger95
May 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
I'm running Flash under Zenwalk 5.0 and have not experienced the problems I did when I was running it under Ubuntu. For information purposes only, I did not install Flash from the repositories this time. I manually downloaded the file direct from Adobe and installed from source. Perhaps that makes the difference? F-ck I dunno. Worked for me though.

ubuntu-freak
May 2nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
I'm running Flash under Zenwalk 5.0 and have not experienced the problems I did when I was running it under Ubuntu. For information purposes only, I did not install Flash from the repositories this time. I manually downloaded the file direct from Adobe and installed from source. Perhaps that makes the difference? F-ck I dunno. Worked for me though.

Yes, it can work better. I had better results in Gutsy with the manual install method and added the install instructions to my how-to.

Nathan

madjr
May 3rd, 2008, 03:58 AM

which problems u didn't encounter and what version did you install?

Slorg
May 3rd, 2008, 04:49 AM
I voted ^^

centered effect
May 3rd, 2008, 04:49 AM
Now that Adobe has opened the flash API we should start seeing improved flash support. http://www.adobe.com/openscreenproject/

How about seeing an Open Source Flash Publishing Tool? I would rather see one of those first!

FuturePilot
May 3rd, 2008, 05:26 AM

The Flash package in the Ubuntu repos is no different than the one from Adobe. Actually the Flash package in Ubuntu doesn't even contain Flash player itself. All it is, is a script that downloads the tar.gz from Adobe and installs it.

madjr
May 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
The Flash package in the Ubuntu repos is no different than the one from Adobe. Actually the Flash package in Ubuntu doesn't even contain Flash player itself. All it is, is a script that downloads the tar.gz from Adobe and installs it.

oh yea forgot about that

madjr
May 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM
How about seeing an Open Source Flash Publishing Tool? I would rather see one of those first!

same here

gardara
May 13th, 2008, 12:11 AM

it's not the one we're talking about here.

we're speaking of the newer v9,0,115 and 124

just do a clean install of ubuntu and you'll see

So if the problem is not with the old flash. Can't we just downgrade until a good version comes out?

madjr
May 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM
So if the problem is not with the old flash v9,0,48. Can't we just downgrade until a good version comes out?

yes, you could downgrade manually. Especially if you need fullscreen flash video.

you'll have to grab it at the adobe website, they don't let anyone else host it.

FFighter
May 19th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Good initiative, mate.

Please, everyone, VOTE TOO.

I really like the freedom GNU/Linux and FOSS gives me, however, one of my passions is the Flash Platform. Nobody could say that it isn't the best thing after sliced bread for creative programmers (aka Deselopers). I love the creative side of logic, I love to melt logic and design and make beautifully functional experiences, and that's what Flash allows us to do.

My passion is so great as to abandon Linux and go to Vista (argh) if Adobe ever stop supporting Linux. I would be pissed off, but... anyways, I really think Adobe should treat Linux as a 1st class citizen. I have voted in all the bugs and do really hope that all other members of this lovely forum do so!

It does not matter if you don't care becouse you know you care. You don't have to have worked or work with Flash. Great support for Flash is something Linux really needs, so, please get youserlf in the sight of the big corps.. vote!

And I do also hope that Adobe will release ports of Photoshop and Illustrator do Linux soon... I won't stop believing!

EDIT: Could someone with the proper rights make this post sticky?

kindofabuzz
May 19th, 2008, 03:28 AM
the new Flash 10 test version works great.

edit: well it's flash 10 beta now. works even better. =)

gardara
May 20th, 2008, 01:34 AM
the new Flash 10 test version works great.

edit: well it's flash 10 beta now. works even better. =)

I uninstalled flash completely and then installed the flash 10 beta... But after I did, flash didn't work... I tried both the tar.gz and pointed it to install in /usr/lib/flash
Also tried converting the .deb to .rpm with alien and installing it that way but it didn't work....

How did you get it working?

kindofabuzz
May 20th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I uninstalled flash completely and then installed the flash 10 beta... But after I did, flash didn't work... I tried both the tar.gz and pointed it to install in /usr/lib/flash
Also tried converting the .deb to .rpm with alien and installing it that way but it didn't work....

How did you get it working?

I just uninstalled through synaptic then ran the install script that comes with it. or you just copy the .so file to wherever your plugins are. usually ~/.mozilla/plugins

doorknob60
May 27th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I voted, Flash 9 kinda stinks, but my experiences with Flash 10 are better, but my good computer is...well...unusable right now so I can't test it much, I only used it like twice. I know it fixes some of the problems though.

madjr
May 28th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I voted, Flash 9 kinda stinks, but my experiences with Flash 10 are better, but my good computer is...well...unusable right now so I can't test it much, I only used it like twice. I know it fixes some of the problems though.

what version of flash you have on your laptop?

Tomatz
May 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I have found i kind of workaround its not a total fix but it seems to make flash run somewhat smoother. This is for those who are still using flash 9 from the repos.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/fix-for-firefox-crashes-on-flash-contents-when-using-libflashsupport-in-hardy.html

Hope that helps ;)

ubuntu-freak
May 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Perhaps we should remind Adobe that Flash 10 in Linux can be accelerated with composite enabled (desktop effects). The Adobe devs have programmed Flash 10 to run unaccelerated if it detects composite. If you have effects disabled, then pause a Flash stream, it will carry on being accelerated when you enable effects and un-pause the stream.

Anywho, might as well post my Flash v10 beta installation instructions here. Run this command:

sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree libflashsupport

Now skip to the manual install method for Flash in Part 1 of my how-to (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683), then download and install v10 beta.

Nathan

methodmarvel
June 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
I've voted. My firefox loves to randomly crash if I have flashplugin-nonfree and libflashsupport installed. Without libflashsupport I have to close all other sound programs and restart firefox to get flash sound to work - so it's not really an option.

If I only have flashplugin-nonfree though it does not crash as much as I am aware.

Either way - I'd like to see flash as well supported on linux as it is windows.

gardara
June 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Perhaps we should remind Adobe that Flash 10 in Linux can be accelerated with composite enabled (desktop effects). The Adobe devs have programmed Flash 10 to run unaccelerated if it detects composite. If you have effects disabled, then pause a Flash stream, it will carry on being accelerated when you enable effects and un-pause the stream.

Anywho, might as well post my Flash v10 beta installation instructions here. Run this command:

sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree libflashsupport

Now skip to the manual install method for Flash in Part 1 of my how-to (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683), then download and install v10 beta.

Nathan

Thanks for those instructions... Got flash player 10 working on firefox, but now I have no flash player with epiphany and with opera all I get is a gray box...
Do you know how I can fix that?

Tomatz
June 3rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks for those instructions... Got flash player 10 working on firefox, but now I have no flash player with epiphany and with opera all I get is a gray box...

sudo apt-get install mozplugger

should fix it ;)

P.s

To get flash working in opera you may need to type this in a terminal (try mozplugger first):

sudo ln -s ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Restart opera

Hope that helps ;)

Zero Prime
June 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
I would vote, but I don't have any problems with Flash. No more crashes and no jerkiness.

ubuntu-freak
June 3rd, 2008, 11:54 PM

Are you a 32-bit or 64-bit user? The beta of Opera will work with Flash v10 beta. I'm slightly stumped by your Epiphany issue, as it uses the same engine as Firefox and uses the same plugins directory also. Try logging out or rebooting.

Nathan

gardara
June 4th, 2008, 12:13 AM
sudo apt-get install mozplugger

should fix it ;)

that didn't change anything in epiphany or opera.. I still get gray boxes in opera and in epiphany I get a white window with "Click here to download plugin"

To get flash working in opera you may need to type this in a terminal (try mozplugger first):

sudo ln -s ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Restart opera

Hope that helps ;)

ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so': File exists

so that didn't change anything

Tomatz
June 4th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Thats strange???

I cant see what would be causing the problem as the plugin is obviously in the opera plugin dir.

Also mozplugger is a plugin that consolodates all your plugins into one and shares them with your browsers. So you shouldn't have a problem with that.

All i can suggest is that you try to reinstall flash again.

ubuntu-freak
June 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Also mozplugger is a plugin that consolodates all your plugins into one and shares them with your browsers.

Mozplugger allows you to view formats embedded in Gecko based browsers that aren't supported by them natively, such as PDF forms, by using the desktop application Document Viewer.

Nathan

Choad
June 4th, 2008, 01:51 PM
just voted on all of em.

my god i wish they would hire 1 (yes, 1) decent coder who knows linux. that's all it would take. just have one guy hacking away making it run better on linux and i'd be happy.

it's quite obvious that the current linux release was however coded by an amoeba

Tomatz
June 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Mozplugger allows you to view formats embedded in Gecko based browsers that aren't supported by them natively, such as PDF forms, by using the desktop application Document Viewer. It will also conflict with the Adobe Reader browser plugins, acroread-plugins and mozilla-acroread.

Nathan

It also works with opera, which is not geko based ;)

ubuntu-freak
June 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
It also works with opera, which is not geko based ;)

That's often true with Opera.

nAtHaN

geoken
June 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
it's quite obvious that the current linux release was however coded by an amoeba

We'll with that said, I'm guessing a genuine multi-celled organism such as yourself should be able to reproduce, and surpass the work done by an amoeba in the better part of a day?

I look forward to seeing your SVG based flash alternative sometime this afternoon.

Choad
June 4th, 2008, 03:18 PM
We'll with that said, I'm guessing a genuine multi-celled organism such as yourself should be able to reproduce, and surpass the work done by an amoeba in the better part of a day?

I look forward to seeing your SVG based flash alternative sometime this afternoon.
i don't have access to the source code or documentation. gimme that and for sure i'll have everything working in a day ;)

*feels confident his bluff cannot be called*

FuturePilot
June 4th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Mozplugger allows you to view formats embedded in Gecko based browsers that aren't supported by them natively, such as PDF forms, by using the desktop application Document Viewer. It will also conflict with the Adobe Reader browser plugins, acroread-plugins and mozilla-acroread.

Nathan

mozplugger does not conflict with any of those packages.

Tomatz
June 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Well said ;)

ubuntu-freak
June 4th, 2008, 04:23 PM
mozplugger does not conflict with any of those packages.

Which one would be used to display PDF documents within Firefox if both were installed? I'm on 64-bit and only have mozplugger installed.

Anyway, I was thinking of a different conflict I think. Past problems with mozplugger and mozilla-acroread were due to a bug.

alexsabree
June 5th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Voted.. Hopefully everyone is voting, Adobe will have to eventually do something about it.

gardara
June 12th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Got a strange problem with flash 10, I can't use the keyboard when playing flash games, I press the arrow keys that I am supposed to use and nothing happens... However flash games that only require mouse work well.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Robux the great
June 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Can you believe it?

I didn't know about this

I will vote now

Regards

Rob

gameryoshi600
June 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM
i heard flash 10 has good linux support.

bruce89
June 13th, 2008, 10:31 PM

In fact they said "Ubuntu OS support". Plonkers they be.

gardara
June 14th, 2008, 12:56 AM

Well atleast flash 10 doesn't have good linux support. Flash 10 is eating up my cpu, just as flash 9 did.... Let's hope that will be fixed before final.

lswest
June 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
voted on them all. Wonder if they'll do anything about it.

madjr
June 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
voted on them all. Wonder if they'll do anything about it.

yes, there's already one in high priority B

i think we'll see some improvements for flash 10 final

keiichidono
June 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I just voted on them all, i hope everything gets fixed.

sefs
June 28th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Has anyone posted this forum thread to dig?

phaed
June 28th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Gnash might be at 1.0 stage by next year or the year after. Do you suppose Adobe doesn't give the Linux Flash Player high priority because they think people will flock to Gnash eventually? So why waste time fixing it.

hanzomon4
June 28th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Will the OSS implementations be any better then Adobe's?

madjr
June 28th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Gnash might be at 1.0 stage by next year or the year after. Do you suppose Adobe doesn't give the Linux Flash Player high priority because they think people will flock to Gnash eventually? So why waste time fixing it.

this comment is pro flash or pro gnash ?:confused:

cardinals_fan
June 28th, 2008, 02:43 AM
The only Flash bug I've experienced is the way Flash content covers menus.

yen223
June 28th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Got a strange problem with flash 10, I can't use the keyboard when playing flash games, I press the arrow keys that I am supposed to use and nothing happens... However flash games that only require mouse work well.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I have the exact same problem. Which is a shame, coz otherwise Flash 10 works perfectly fine for me.

Brain-free
July 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Voted for the bugs. I don't think that this is the perfect solution though (give us stable versions every now and then) but it is better than what we have.

Hopefully, one day these problems will be history and there will be a poll where we can vote whether Adobe should or not make their source open. I'd like to see Bill Gates expression then... Guess for now I have to stick with splicing his face in porn movies. Ah well, c'est la vie...:grin:

madjr
July 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
try it yourself

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/07/05/installing-flash-player-10-prerelease-on-linux/

fullscreen speed is better or fixed (on some video cards), javascript menus fixed (but some tearing) and most crashes :O

the dell website now works fine

1st tested in old PC with 256mb ram + geforce 5200. Flash 10 pre-release Works like a charm, fullscreen youtube goes fast. :)

2nd tested on Dell 1420 Dual-core geforce 8400GS + 1gb ram. For some weird reason Xorg process takes 50% CPU and goes really slow (with or without 3d effects). Re-installed Flash 9,0,48 and things are normal now... no flash 10 for this one :(

is it my Nvidia 8XXX card drivers that affect Xorg?

see my sign and report bugs before final release

Note: This has been a Win for the community. I would like to thank the people who reported and the hundreds who voted at Adobe.

loell
July 6th, 2008, 01:11 PM
o rly? i wonder when will it reach my system as an update.. :O

LaRoza
July 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I am using the new beta of Flash, and it seems to have problems with Firefox (I happened to be using Firefox to watch a lengthy Flash video, and didn't want to run it with the same browser I was using) and it consistantly crashed the browser. It worked fine in Opera though (same movie, even with many other tabs open)

madjr
July 6th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I am using the new beta of Flash, and it seems to have problems with Firefox (I happened to be using Firefox to watch a lengthy Flash video, and didn't want to run it with the same browser I was using) and it consistantly crashed the browser. It worked fine in Opera though (same movie, even with many other tabs open)

i think this a new build 10,0,525

you might want to re-download it.

even the javascript menus don't get hidden anymore :)

mrgnash
July 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
There are still plenty of problems. I still can't get Adobe's own Acrobat.com to work, for instance.

wdaniels
July 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
o rly? i wonder when will it reach my system as an update.. :O

If you want to add Markus Thielmann's PPA (http://launchpad.net/~thielmann/+archive) to your software sources, you can just:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfreebeta

He seems to keep it updated with the latest beta as they get released.

FFighter
July 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM
That's good news!

May I ask you a question? I have both version 9 and the older build of the version 10 activated as plugins in FireFox, do I need to de-activate them before installing the new build?

EDIT: I remember that the installer for the older v.10 build installed the plugin in a system-wide directory, and this one in particular wants to install in /home/user/.mozilla. Does anyone know why?

I'm asking this becous it seems the installation fails, as Firefox is still using the old build.

PriceChild
July 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
/me wishes bbc news' site would recognise the new version

joshdudeha
July 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
:O i can scroll down a page full of flash stuff and not be stopped when my cursor hits it.
Yay =]

wdaniels
July 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
That's good news!

May I ask you a question? I have both version 9 and the older build of the version 10 activated as plugins in FireFox, do I need to de-activate them before installing the new build?

EDIT: I remember that the installer for the older v.10 build installed the plugin in a system-wide directory, and this one in particular wants to install in /home/user/.mozilla. Does anyone know why?

I'm asking this becous it seems the installation fails, as Firefox is still using the old build.

I'm not sure how you managed to get both installed. It's best to stick to packages if you can. The flashplugin-nonfreebeta that I mentioned before conflicts with the v9 package (flashplugin-nonfree) so it wouldn't allow you to have both that way.

The place where these files usually live is ~/.mozilla/plugins and if I were you I would make sure you uninstall the standard flashplugin-nonfree package then delete any remaining flash plugin files from the plugins folder before installing any new one. I don't know if there might be a system-wide plugin location as well somewhere though.

I'm very happy to note that V4L2 seems to be working for webcams in this latest beta now.

damis648
July 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Yayy!! It works! It's howdy-doodie time!:popcorn:

bilal.17
July 6th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I've updated and it no longer crashes whenever i watch a flash video!!

madjr
July 6th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Yayy!! It works! It's howdy-doodie time!:popcorn:

how about fullscreen youtube?

for some weird reason my old pc goes smooth, but my laptop (similar to yours, Xorg process spikes and slows the computer down...)

FFighter
July 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure how you managed to get both installed. It's best to stick to packages if you can. The flashplugin-nonfreebeta that I mentioned before conflicts with the v9 package (flashplugin-nonfree) so it wouldn't allow you to have both that way.

The place where these files usually live is ~/.mozilla/plugins and if I were you I would make sure you uninstall the standard flashplugin-nonfree package then delete any remaining flash plugin files from the plugins folder before installing any new one. I don't know if there might be a system-wide plugin location as well somewhere though.

I'm very happy to note that V4L2 seems to be working for webcams in this latest beta now.

Thanks for the reply.

In addition to the .mozilla directory under the home dir for the user, I've found instances of the libflashplayer.so in the following locations:

./usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so
./usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
./usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Not sure which one is used by FF3, or if any of them is FF2-legacy or even the v.9 one.

I will try deleting all of them and restart firefox3 to see if it will then use the latest just installed build.

damis648
July 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
how about fullscreen youtube?

for some weird reason my old pc goes smooth, but my laptop (similar to yours, Xorg process spikes and slows the computer down...)

Aww darn!! :( I have a similar problem, but Xorg does not spike... the video controls just look really bad and the video is really jittery. When i try to close it, the video in the original applet on the page freezes, and so do the controls (although I can click on them, there is no visual feedback.):(:(:(

damis648
July 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I am also getting wierd white lines on the top and bottom of certain videos, too. I guess I will just stick to Flash 9 for now.

FFighter
July 6th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the reply.

In addition to the .mozilla directory under the home dir for the user, I've found instances of the libflashplayer.so in the following locations:

./usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so
./usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
./usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Not sure which one is used by FF3, or if any of them is FF2-legacy or even the v.9 one.

I will try deleting all of them and restart firefox3 to see if it will then use the latest just installed build.

Yes, just what I thought.

FireFox seems to search all these locations for plugins, and was loading all of them, so I had a v. 9, an old build of v. 10 (which was the one that FF3 insisted on using) and the latest b.525 of v.10.

I deleted all of them, and FF3 is now using the v.10, build 525.

Yay! I can see the official SPAM site correctly now! -> www.spam.com

The performance is not as smooth as it is on Windows, yet. But this was a significant improvement indeed. I'm happy!

nilarimogard
July 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Well i'm still having the problem with flash behind javascript menus :( (Using Ubuntu Hardy x86)

paul101
July 6th, 2008, 03:45 PM
my ubuntu flash has been working fine :confused:

keiichidono
July 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Using flash 10 beta 2 here and i'm not having any problems. I used to installation guide in the media forum here to install it and i've been fine. I can't have more than one audio source being played by Pulseaudio though so having Rhythmbox and Youtube open doesn't work, my only complaint so far. Seems like Adobe is getting off their lazy **** and is finally doing something.

madjr
July 7th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I am also getting wierd white lines on the top and bottom of certain videos, too. I guess I will just stick to Flash 9 for now.

i reinstalled flash 9,0,48 and that solved my issues (probably due to the video card: geforce 8XXX).

but am keeping flash 10 on my old pc which works really well with it's 5200

--edit--

for another weird reason flash 10 now works very good :)

TheAL76
July 7th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I'm seeing a major slowdown when using Flash 10 on any sites using Flash.

I'm considering downgrading to 9.

Anyone else seeing this?

phaed
July 7th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Yeah, it's running a little slower, but I'll take that over random crashes and sites diabled by the menus being hidden under flash objects -- any day.

madjr
July 7th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I'm seeing a major slowdown when using Flash 10 on any sites using Flash.

I'm considering downgrading to 9.

Anyone else seeing this?

try disabling 3d effects and rebooting.

seems Xorg was using all my CPU now it's normal, this flash rocks :)

also remove the flash non free package in synaptic

Kingsley
July 7th, 2008, 05:33 AM
/me wishes bbc news' site would recognise the new version
/me wishes cnn video would recognize the new version

FuturePilot
July 7th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Well I'm gald Wmode Transparency is working. Finally! But there are still some issues. It still uses way too much CPU. It's reduced from Flash 9 but it's still too high. Also the hardware acceleration doesn't seem to work at all and it still randomly crashes. At least it doesn't freeze the browser like Flash 9 did.

quanumphaze
July 7th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Well my experience it is worse than Flash 10 beta 1 that was used in one of the PulseAudio fixes.

I went to a page with lot's of embedded YouTube clips and it killed Swiftweasel. As a good scientist I tried it again and it stayed alive but X and Swiftweasel were melting my CPU just displaying the flash objects, not even playing them. And then closing the page killed Swiftweasel.

Sigh, downgrading to the previous beta I used. (10.0.218)

Canis familiaris
July 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
How could I configure it so that it works in Opera? It worked in Firefox for me and not in Opera.

kindofabuzz
July 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM
10 beta 2 is worse for me than 9 was. I'll stick with beta 1

kindofabuzz
July 7th, 2008, 10:58 AM
"For Linux, the hardware acceleration feature will not work if you are using a compositing window manager (compiz). In this case, Flash Player 10 Beta will always fall back to software. If you would like to test Flash Player 10 Beta on Linux, please disable your compositing window manager."

medic2000
July 7th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Now i have voted for all of them.

bash
July 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM
There is still no 64-bit version. And if you use compiz and try to watch fullscreen flash movies the flashplayer will fallback to software rendering instead of hardware. So the player still stays mostly useless.

SlugO
July 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM
No OMGs here... Flash still has the same awful performance especially in full screen.

The strangest thing for me with Flash has been that the repo version worked fine for a while until one day it decided to start having performance problems. Neither of the new betas have fixed this.

K.Mandla
July 7th, 2008, 02:23 PM