PDA

View Full Version : I want to put speech marks into a text file

J05HYYY
July 6th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I want to be able to save speech marks into a file using the echo command:

[CODE]
#!/bin/sh
echo "This speech mark: " and this speech mark: " doesn't go into MyFile!" >> $MyFile

At the moment the text in "MyFile" reads:

This speech mark: and this speech mark: doesn't go into MyFile!

Instead ... i want it to read:

This speech mark: " and this speech mark: " does go into MyFile!

... hopefully you get the idea ... any help would be great :confused:

lisati
July 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Try:

echo This speech mark: \" and this speech mark: \" doesn't go into MyFile!" >> $MyFile

J05HYYY
July 6th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Cheers for the immediate response! Worked a charm - guess I should read things up a little more before asking next time :P

wrtpeeps
July 6th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Cheers for the immediate response! Worked a charm - guess I should read things up a little more before asking next time :P

Yep. If you want to actually print " you escape them with a \.

lisati
July 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'm glad that it worked.

I had a hunch based on something I'd read on the forums some time ago, checked it on my machine, saw that it looked promising, and then posted the response.....

Feel free to ask questions! Someone might remember seeing something and point you in a useful direction.

J05HYYY
July 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Is there a way to do the same within a search?

e.g.

expr index "\""

When I load a file, I want to be able to search for the position of a single quotation mark ... is this possible? I'm confused at the moment. :confused:

mssever
July 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Is there a way to do the same within a search?

e.g.

expr index "\""When I load a file, I want to be able to search for the position of a single quotation mark ... is this possible? I'm confused at the moment. :confused:
Your question is vague. What are you using to load a file? the method of searching varies by program.

Your code example results in a syntax error.
expr '"' prints a double quote character, but I don't see how expr is relevant to your question in the first place or what you're hoping to accomplish using it.

J05HYYY
July 19th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Whoops, sorry I see your point. The code I gave was a little weird

basically I know how to put speech marks into a file now. just I don't know how to take them out again.

I assume your correct in saying it varies from program to program. I guess the question I should be asking is "how do I search for speech marks in a file?" but I got it now anyway after reading the manpage and a little frustration due to my bad programming :)

expr index 'abc"abc' '"'

nanotube
July 20th, 2008, 06:29 AM
aren't these " things usually called "quotes" ? :)

J05HYYY
July 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
speech marks/quotes/quotation marks ... it's all gravy.:lolflag: