PDA

View Full Version : Dark cloud of DRM looming

teaker1s
November 1st, 2005, 11:08 PM
thank god linux is open see these two articles and see that DRM pushed harder than ever-copy protected audio cd's on ******* can be bypassed simply by disabling autorun in *******
http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/sony_raids_hack.html

the above like is disturbing due to the fact spyware rootkit-ed will be almost untracable and if sony can do it the spyware companies won't be far behind!!!

http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html

Trusting computing-a friendly term for a crock

23meg
November 1st, 2005, 11:22 PM
EMI's latest copy protection won't let you play your audio CD if you're not connected to the internet. This is the most ridiculous copy protection I've ever seen; it's simply not tolerable. And their CDs don't play under Linux and most macs.

mp3guy
November 1st, 2005, 11:23 PM
EMI's latest copy protection won't let you play your audio CD if you're not connected to the internet. This is the most ridiculous copy protection I've ever seen; it's simply not tolerable.

Theres always line-in and audacity :)

23meg
November 1st, 2005, 11:26 PM
But there isn't always a standalone CD player or a Windows installation. I should be able to play my CD with whatever OS I choose to use. If EMI is assuming otherwise I'll simply not buy anything from them.

mp3guy
November 1st, 2005, 11:31 PM
Yes, but the chances of something like that sticking isn't very high, and I doubt it'll affect linux users, i can rip and play many of my "copy protected" cds, which won't rip in windows

poptones
November 1st, 2005, 11:36 PM

Ahhh.. except that with a TC platform system there would be no way to install said "rootkit" without the user's consent. Have you actually read anything on the subject other than the negative propoganda you cite?

teaker1s
November 1st, 2005, 11:59 PM
yes I have if your a software vendor or media company it's great for licencing-the computer.
user benefits as the system can blacklist bad code and ensure greater compatibility.

sounds great until you realise what a pain in the bum a closed system is and should a vendor upset say microsoft then in effect their software is dead in the water banned and un-installable. RIAA wet dream-imagine all p2p banned unless microsoft and music industry agreed. suddenly it's not the greater good

Microsoft will undoubtedly have different levels of tc for instance any ms software will have 100% trust, where any say third party vendor will be given say upto 90% trust unless they are blacklisted.
It all hints of the console type control where the game studio pay to be an xbox game.
Now imagine your fav app is blacklisted your choices are limited to-find one not blacklisted or buy a microsoft tc approved.

Secondly this bright new world requires encryption enabled hardware-now this takes the openness of pc's away.

A certain console manufacturer is so DRM that only licenced controllers will work and I forsee a situation were limited directly by antitrust suits the empire will expand by forcing companies to pay to be recognised as okay to install.

no way to install rootkit-err I disagree if microsofts key gets compromised or the system gets hacked then like xp did it's not safe-for instance I always wondered about how secure the microsoft hidden accounts that they have for their use in registry are.
or for instace a something like a buffer overflow where secure access to the kernel functions is compromised.

now not because I dispise MS do I write this, but because they rule the desktop it will be come fact. DRM has been accepted on Itunes and already component manufacturers are building DRM directly into the component.
It will become increasingly difficult to avoid as component manufacturers will do a windows compatible product and by association linux users will find the product has these features- not by choice but economics of market share

NeoChaosX
November 2nd, 2005, 12:28 AM
I just wish media company executives would be honest and admit they're introducing bills like this (http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/01/hollywood_after_the_.html) not to prevent piracy, but to swim in more profits. I mean, a little honesty can't be that hard to show, can it?

teaker1s
November 2nd, 2005, 12:52 AM
open and closed os-nothing at all against either-but by going the trusting computing route you loose ultimate control of what can be installed and because ms are so big they will force hardware manufacturers to change and by leveraging this kind of control DRM will be unavoidable for any kind of content.
Format and content providers will have to change and this will break things and cause extra headaches for the opensource community.
for a start content playback

Riverside
November 2nd, 2005, 12:56 AM
I just wish media company executives would be honest and admit they're introducing bills like this (http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/01/hollywood_after_the_.html) not to prevent piracy, but to swim in more profits. I mean, a little honesty can't be that hard to show, can it?In the words of Van Morrison:

Well, they told me to come on over
I made my way to New York
And they tried to have me deported
Stop me from getting work
Blacklisted me all over
They were vicious and they were mean
They were bigtime operators
Baby, on the music business scene

Oh, they looked like politicians
But underneath they were thugs
And they spread malicious rumours
Threatened to have me busted for drugs
They had nothing on me
Oh man, I was really clean
But they were bigtime operators
On the music business scene

They put a bug in my apartment
To listen in on my calls
I was looking for some motivation
I couldn't find any, any motivation at all
They were very desperate people
Riding in long black limousines
But they were bigtime operators

They were glorified by the media
They were heroes who had names
They said that they would bury me
If I didn't play their game
They said I didn't know the score
And that I was young and green
They were bigame operators

Tried to hold me to a phoney contract
I said I didn't agree
Had to get out of the clutches
Had to go underground you see
Now I'm living in another country
But I know exactly just where I've been
Stay away from bigtime operators
Baby, on the music business scene

Well, baby bigtime operators
Oh baby, bigtime operators
Well, full of names and places
Baby, you know who I mean

xequence
November 2nd, 2005, 01:17 AM
EMI's latest copy protection won't let you play your audio CD if you're not connected to the internet. This is the most ridiculous copy protection I've ever seen; it's simply not tolerable. And their CDs don't play under Linux and most macs.

Thats stupid! Most of the day my computer isnt even connected to the internet!

This is why I dont buy CDs ;)

majikstreet
November 2nd, 2005, 01:19 AM
Yes, but the chances of something like that sticking isn't very high, and I doubt it'll affect linux users, i can rip and play many of my "copy protected" cds, which won't rip in windows
how do you rip copy-protected cd's? I would literally love to do that; I have a cd my aunt gave me because we couldn't get it to rip on her WindowsXP computer... and full of irish music she loves too :(

Ampersand
November 2nd, 2005, 01:27 AM
how do you rip copy-protected cd's? I would literally love to do that; I have a cd my aunt gave me because we couldn't get it to rip on her WindowsXP computer... and full of irish music she loves too :(

Try using sound juicer or grip to rip it. That's worked for all the copy "protected" cds I've tried...

xequence
November 2nd, 2005, 01:31 AM
Look at sonys site. http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/requirements.html
One of the following operating systems
Windows 98SE
Windows ME
Windows 2000 SP4
Windows XP Home
Windows XP Pro

Again, sony is stupid. Very stupid.

CNN.com says you can use a program called CDEX.

poofyhairguy
November 2nd, 2005, 01:39 AM
CNN.com says you can use a program called CDEX.

Its an OSS program. Its what I use in Windows.

23meg
November 2nd, 2005, 01:40 AM
Try using sound juicer or grip to rip it. That's worked for all the copy "protected" cds I've tried...

Sound juicer, grip and cdex; none work on the latest generation of EMI cds. Besides, I don't have to have to rip a CD to listen to it; it has to play straight away on standard CD player software.

The thing is, these people don't want you to have absolute control on even what you've paid for. Theirs is a business model built on an economy of partial ownership on the user's part and full ownership (pwnership might be more suitable) on that of the company, and I don't want to feed that system. The TCPA isn't any different; the only difference is that it's your data that's at stake rather than an audio CD.

xequence
November 2nd, 2005, 01:44 AM
Sound juicer, grip and cdex; none work on the latest generation of EMI cds. Besides, I don't have to have to rip a CD to listen to it; it has to play straight away on standard CD player software.

The thing is, these people don't want you to have absolute control on even what you've paid for. Theirs is a business model built on an economy of partial ownership on the user's part and full ownership (pwnership might be more suitable) on that of the company, and I don't want to feed that system. The TCPA isn't any different; the only difference is that it's your data that's at stake rather than an audio CD.

Wow. Pwnership? Thats awesome =D

The record companies are like parents seeing their kids go off to university, they just cant let go.

MetalMusicAddict
November 2nd, 2005, 01:59 AM
I havnt had 1 CD I couldnt rip with Audiograbber (windows). I have it happily running with WINE now. Its even ripped CDs EAC wouldnt.

If I bought it Ill do with it as I please.

imagine
November 2nd, 2005, 02:18 AM
thank god linux is open see these two articles and see that DRM pushed harder than ever-copy protected audio cd's on ******* can be bypassed simply by disabling autorun in *******
http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/sony_raids_hack.htmlThis may not sound nice, but IMHO the people who buy so called "copy protected" CDs just don't deserve anything else. In the end they just support the companies which produce that stuff.
Or to quote myself (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=72188):

Just don't buy any music or movies which are so-called "protected" in whatever way. That is almost all DVDs, some music CDs and AFAIK every music online shop except of AllOfMP3. That way you don't have to back to the store, because you haven't been even there in the first place.
Just remember that the only languge the Music And Film Industry Association (MAFIA) understands is the language of money.

xequence
November 2nd, 2005, 02:20 AM
Just remember that the only languge the Music And Film Industry Association (MAFIA) understands is the language of money.

Mafia. Thats funny ;)

bootlinux
November 2nd, 2005, 02:42 AM
http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/sony_raids_hack.html

the above like is disturbing due to the fact spyware rootkit-ed will be almost untracable and if sony can do it the spyware companies won't be far behind!!!

All I see this doing is pushing more people to open source software. I'm so gald we have a choice. Linux must be a pertty big thorn in Bill's side.

newbie2
November 2nd, 2005, 05:40 PM
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html
:rolleyes:

Nu-Buntu
November 2nd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Must be connected to the net to play a CD? Can't make fair use of the music you have paid for? Hell, this is what is killing CD sales. MSNBC has a story today about a 67 y.o. grandfather being sued by the MPAA for 4 movie downloads his 12 y.o. grandson did. They wanted $4000 to settle.

The MPAA and RIAA are building their own coffins. Rather than finding a new business model, they sue their potentially best customers. I don't condone piracy, but heavy handed tactics will not gain them friends. They and SCO can all rot in the same hell. All are on a downward spiral into the same irrelevance.

Musicians need to find new distribution channels other than CDs. The record companies have screwed them over for so long, now with a change in technology and the gestapo-like tactics used by the RIAA, there is an opportunity brewing to build new distribution models.