PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] how to make storage partition on seperate HD

tjwoosta
July 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
so i have ubuntu hardy and swap on my first HD (dev/sda1 and dev/sda2)

i just got another HD (dev/sdb1)

how can i use it as storage?

i formated to ext3 with gparted
then i made a mountpoint /media/Storage
then i mounted

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 media/Storage

but the problem is that now when i navigate to /media/Storage it says 40GB free (wich is right) but i see one folder named lost&found that i cant acess and it wont let me make any new folders or anything

EDIT: nevermind, all i had to do was change the ownership and permissions (duuuhhh)

Elfy
July 6th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Just so you know, when you reboot you will have to mount it again. If you want it mount at boot add it to your fstab.

tjwoosta
July 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Just so you know, when you reboot you will have to mount it again. If you want it mount at boot add it to your fstab.

i thought i would have to also, but actually i didnt
(i just rebooted and it was already mounted)

i think i might only be ntfs partitions that need to be added to fstab

gate
July 6th, 2008, 08:15 AM
You most likely do not have permission to access the drive/folder. Try (in the command line or right clicking on the folder) changing the permissions to read/write/execute for everyone.

command:

chmod 777 media/Storage/

You should look in to having the computer automount the drive on startup. I am not very familiar with it, but you can set it so it grants you permission when it mounts.

tjwoosta
July 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM
lol, way ahead of you

Elfy
July 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM
i think i might only be ntfs partitions that need to be added to fstabdon't think so - but if it's there then :)

tjwoosta
July 6th, 2008, 08:37 AM
ok i see what happened

it actually made its own mountpoint (media/disk) and set itself all up automatically when i rebooted

so i never had to do anything except format to ext3 and restart