PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reformatting Ubuntu

JimmyJim
July 6th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I have to go back to Windows for awhile. I tried booting up my Windows XP cd and I got an error saying no previous versions of Windows were detected and there was a disk read error. I think my disk is fine and I believe this is because I have Ubuntu on my HD. How can I reformat Ubuntu and make my hard drive clean/empty?

Thanks

Sef
July 6th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Let's check your partitions:

sudo fdisk -l Small L, then Copy and paste the results.

Locutus_of_Borg
July 6th, 2008, 05:59 AM
boot form livecd

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda (or hda if thats what you have)

that will create a blank hardrive, unformatted, with nothing on it.

to format it to ntfs (why you would want to, i dont know) put in a windows cd and use cfdisk to create partitions/format them

or

mkntfs while still booted with livecd

JimmyJim
July 6th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Let's check your partitions:

sudo fdisk -l Small L, then Copy and paste the results.

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x20962096

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 29644 238115398+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 29645 30401 6080602+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 29645 30401 6080571 82 Linux swap / Solaris

cariboo
July 6th, 2008, 06:13 AM
It looks like you don't have a winxp partition any more. To install xp boot from your CD and let it go through all the things it has to until it gets to the partition screen. Just delete the partitions that are already there and the you can set up your partitions any way you want.

Jim

JimmyJim
July 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM
It looks like you don't have a winxp partition any more. To install xp boot from your CD and let it go through all the things it has to until it gets to the partition screen. Just delete the partitions that are already there and the you can set up your partitions any way you want.

Jim

I know I don't have the Windows XP partition. Something must be wrong with the disc then because I can't get to the partition screen without error.

JimmyJim
July 6th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I checked the disk on another computer and it reads fine. The problem is that Ubuntu is installed. How can I completely format my hard drive so it is blank?

Thanks

nig_nig_the_conqueror
July 6th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I checked the disk on another computer and it reads fine. The problem is that Ubuntu is installed. How can I completely format my hard drive so it is blank?

Thanks

I (highly) doubt that the Ubuntu install is your problem. It might be your optical drive.

JimmyJim
July 6th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I (highly) doubt that the Ubuntu install is your problem. It might be your optical drive.

I've had issues before where the disk wouldn't read because a different version of Windows (different from the disk) was installed. I've used this disk on my computer many times before Ubuntu. The other computer that I tried the disk on has a very old, poor optical drive and it read fine. I just burnt a DVD with my optical drive. I highly doubt that my optical drive is the issue.

Regardless of the cause, how can I completely reformat my hard drive so it is clean? Thanks

nig_nig_the_conqueror
July 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I've had issues before where the disk wouldn't read because a different version of Windows (different from the disk) was installed. I've used this disk on my computer many times before Ubuntu. The other computer that I tried the disk on has a very old, poor optical drive and it read fine. I just burnt a DVD with my optical drive. I highly doubt that my optical drive is the issue.

Regardless of the cause, how can I completely reformat my hard drive so it is clean? Thanks

Use GParted. It's a live cd and should do what you need.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

EDIT: I just realized...I don't think Gparted can create NTSF partitions, but you can try creating a FAT32 partition and the Windows install disk should be able to format it to NTSF. Hope this helps.

swisscow
July 6th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Use GParted. It's a live cd and should do what you need.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Just boot with the ubuntu livecd. Gparted is on that.

nig_nig_the_conqueror
July 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Just boot with the ubuntu livecd. Gparted is on that.

Yep, he's right. I forgot about that. But please note the edit on my last post that I'm pretty sure Gparted can't create NTFS partitions, so you'll need to format it as FAT32 or something. Then the Windows install disk should format it for you.

JimmyJim
July 6th, 2008, 07:38 AM
sorry, I meant to edit, not reply :-\"

JimmyJim
July 6th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Can I get confirmation that the Windows installation CD will be able to format FAT32 to NTFS? Thanks; I just don't want to format my HD to FAT32 and then find out the Windows disc won't accept it.

I already have a Livecd burnt, so I'll use that.

akiratheoni
July 6th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I don't think it'll convert it, I think it'll just overwrite it.

Frak
July 6th, 2008, 07:43 AM
The infamous Black Screen of Death can occur if the WinXP Installation CD cannot recognize the partitions on the HD. It basically lock's up and dies.

JimmyJim
July 6th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I don't think it'll convert it, I think it'll just overwrite it.

I would like confirmation. I need to know this will work for sure, because if it doesn't, I'm stuck.

Frak
July 6th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I would like confirmation. I need to know this will work for sure, because if it doesn't, I'm stuck.
Yes, it can.

EDIT
You can actually boot into the recovery and run this

convert c: /fs:ntfs

To convert it

JimmyJim
July 6th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Yes, it can.

EDIT

To convert it

OK, thanks a lot. Now back to windoze for awhile. =P~

nig_nig_the_conqueror
July 6th, 2008, 07:57 AM
The infamous Black Screen of Death can occur if the WinXP Installation CD cannot recognize the partitions on the HD. It basically lock's up and dies.

I've never run into that. Can XP not recognize an ext3 partition?

Yes, it can.

EDIT

Code:

To convert it

Or if you really want to NUKE the contents of your hdd:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Frak
July 6th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I've never run into that. Can XP not recognize an ext3 partition?

Nope. It can see some weird types of partitions, but nothing native to Linux, Unix, or OS X are able to be seen.