PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Cloned HDD, resized partitions - now Ubuntu is Wonky. Grub fix??

jimmy the saint
July 6th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I went from an 80 Gig HDD to a 160 and resized some of the partions with Acronis' boot CD. There was a warning about the boot loader needing attention due to the changing partitions, but no explanation except for Lilo. When I boot up with the new drive, Ubuntu loads but the boot is verbose and I get a lot of fails. The video is slow (for example, drawing a selection box is ridiculously slow) and I am sure there are other things I am not noticing due to this transfer. I am pretty sure it is an issue with Grub. How would I go about fixing grub? I dual-boot vista and Ubuntu, and I do not have a seperate boot partition. I figure there has to be a utility that will reinstall Grub and have it automatically detect the operating systems again.

Thanks

JTS

ZabiGG
July 6th, 2008, 04:04 AM
This should be complete enough. If not, click on the Guide home page, scroll down, and check out Super Grub Disk. Saved my life once ;)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm

Z.

jimmy the saint
July 6th, 2008, 04:15 AM
wow, thanks for the link. I will check that out, but it sure is heavy reading!! The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it is a grub issue or an Ubuntu issue though. My kernel shows up and the OS loads, it just doesn't load 100% correctly. Would this be a grub issue or would it be something else?

ZabiGG
July 6th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Can you be more specific about "not 100% correctly"? What is wrong exactly, what is it that you expect to happen and doesn't. What crashes. What is broken. What did you install or change before the problem(s) started occurring?

There are tips on asking better questions to get more efficient help in the "Get help" link in my signature below to help you out.

Cheers,

Z.