PDA

View Full Version : Announcing Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS - The first point release of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

sharks
July 6th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Announcing Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS
- The first point release of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

It is the first maintenance release of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron), which (in case you forget it) is supported with maintenance updates and security fixes until 2011 on desktops, and 2013
on servers. Today's release brings to its users a lot of security updates and corrections (over 200), all with a single goal: to keep Ubuntu 8.04 LTS a stable and reliable Linux distribution!

"In all, over 200 updates have been integrated, and updated installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS," stated Steve Langasek in the release announcement.

Let's have a quick look over the main features introduced in Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS:

• Mozilla Firefox was updated to the final 3.0 release;
• The Transmission menu item was renamed "Transmission BitTorrent Client";
• The timezone map behaviour in the Live CD installer was revamped for an easy usage;
• The Hardware Drivers utility will no longer display a message about the Nvidia video drivers as being enabled when they aren't installed;
• Some FUSE interface issues were fixed;
• The Samba client offers, once again, LANMAN authentication.

There are also some updates in the server branch. For the complete list of the changes, please check the official announcement.

About Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for your desktop or server, with a fast and easy install, regular releases, a tight selection of excellent packages installed by default, every other package you can imagine available from the network and professional technical support from Canonical Ltd and hundreds of other companies around the world.

You can download it from here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/

kevdog
July 6th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Too bad they haven't fixed the random freeze problem a lot of people are having. Definitely no LTS for me -- just a complete mess!

acelin
July 6th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Hardy has been amazing for me. No other version allowed me to boot to desktop in 30 seconds, automatically had every driver for my weird laptop, and has been so stable. I just wish Compiz had AA.

HansKisaragi
July 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Too bad they haven't fixed the random freeze problem a lot of people are having. Definitely no LTS for me -- just a complete mess!

I got Kernel Panic all the time until i ditched my wifi and started using Ethernet cable instead, now i have no freeze.

Only hade the problem i Hardy.