PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] some times restarting ubuntu does help

20aty48
July 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM
i am very new to ubuntu (about 10hrs ago) and learning a lot :)

what i just learn is; after installing a program or making some changes on ubuntu we may have to restart ubuntu. (hope i'm right?)

here is my experience i wanted to listen mp3 on my new ubuntu on first try i failed, after some research i find out i have to enable ubuntu-restricted-extras by doing

Go to Applications → Add/Remove...

Set Show: to All available applications

Search for ubuntu-restricted-extras and install it

and tryed mp3 on default program but after this. i still failed to listen mp3 so i installed Rhythmbox music player i still failed to listen mp3.

i have began to research every think about ubuntu including sound card and hardware on my pc and pulling my hairs out :)

than i thought " i did lots of changes on ubuntu maybe i need to restart it to activate the changes" soo it did work well, now i can listen mp3...

reason i send this thread is advice new beginners like me, after making some changes you may need to restart ubuntu

as a new user i do not want to give up easy on ubuntu a specially remembering to spend over 6 years and hundreds of formatting on win xp and still getting no where :)

Sam Lars
July 5th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yes, even on Linux restarting does some helpful things and is a good place to start for some issues.

llamakc
July 5th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Other than a new kernel there is no reason to ever reboot, provided your system is not hard-locked up and you can still ssh in (or gain access to one of the TTY's).

But yes, for newbies it may be easier to just reboot instead of figuring out which service needs restarting. Frankly I recommend learning how to use the commands `ps`, `pstree`, and `top` to investigate issues.

20aty48
July 6th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the replies.
i will check out commands to get to root of the problems :)