PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade failed: 6.06 to 8.04

JohnLauritsen
July 5th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I tried upgrading from 6.06 to 8.04 using the alternate install disk (which checked OK using MD5SUM). Within Ubuntu and with the modem on, I put the disk in and followed the prompts. Everything seemed to go all right, though I'm not sure if I selected the right keyboard. Then it got to the point where I had to choose either RESTART or something else. I restarted.
The installation had put the new GRUB on a floppy (without being asked to), which is what I wanted.

When the bootup started, there were messages:
- harware drivers - failed
- setting kernel variable -- failed

and various other failure notices.

Then, when it got the the USERNAME login, there was no response from the keyboard, and the mouse didn't work. I couldn't key in my username.

At this point, what should I do? I have both the alternate desktop install disk and the regular one. I was able to run Ubuntu from the regular (live) CD, but of course I couldn't get into my customized versions of Firefox or Thunderbird.

Should I try a re-installation using the regular disk? Should I have installed outside of Ubuntu? Any help would be appreciated.

JL

Pumalite
July 5th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Use your Live CD to save data and /home
Boot your Live CD and post:
sudo fdisk -lu

JohnLauritsen
July 6th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Thank you. I did backup crucial stuff. My mistake was stupidly trying to do the install when Dapper Drake was running. The next day I did it the right way, booting from the alternate disk, and everything went smoothly. Everything's fine, except for a little tweaking.

JL

Dale61
July 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM
The installation had put the new GRUB on a floppy (without being asked to), which is what I wanted.

A floppy? Do they still exist? http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/6.gif