PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

ljamie82
November 1st, 2005, 09:12 PM
Ok well I'm about as anti-microsoft as they come. i don't use linux because of it being a superior product, I do it because I dislike Microsoft, for various reasons.

Anyway so I saw this video this morning showing off Vista so far and I was intrigued so I d/l a dev build from last month. I have to say I am very impressed with the advancements they've made (and you should know it burns me alive to say that). Of course it froze within five minutes, but it is a dev build. In the end the success or failure of it will be in the level of bugginess.

I like to make fun of the fact that not only is it going to be so late but they've cut so many features out of it from what they originally wanted, but all and all it looks pretty nice. I would like to say though it is just XP with a new theme, and a few search features. One cool thing is that Internet Explorer has tabbed browsing now, but I think IE is dead, it's too late to save it. Which is fine with me, I've never liked it.

Zyphrexi
November 1st, 2005, 09:24 PM
wow tabbed browsing... that's amazing. oh yeah and themes? oh boy. imho kde kicks the poo out of xp in terms of prettiness. no matter how many times you update, paint over, and add *new* features, it's still crap. I can't imagine vista becoming more innovative.

EDIT: sarcasm isn't directed at you btw, it's directed at the redundancy of the microsoft marketing strategies, you know, the whole NEW AND IMPROVED nonsense.

iAlta
November 1st, 2005, 09:26 PM
Isn't Vista just a gamers verison of xp?

l33tc0d34
November 1st, 2005, 09:26 PM
the windows file system in vista is much better than anything on linex, unfortunately :-( it will let you to index ur drive and work with databases which u can't do with mysql.

xequence
November 1st, 2005, 09:30 PM
When people realise how much DRM is in vista they will ether download an older version of windows or use linux.

Staesys
November 1st, 2005, 09:31 PM
You do know that the reason it is going to be late and minus features is they dumped all of their old buggy code and started from scratch. This means that it's actually not XP with a new theme. They've also instituted an automated bug checking system and programers who write code with too many bugs in it go to "bug jail". lol

Seriously, It looks like they've learned their lesson(finally).

I'm not biased one way or the other as far as OS's go. I'll use whatever does the job, be it Linux, Windows or Mac, etc...

Oops, I guess I shouldn't have told everyone I'm not a Linux zealot...although I'm using Kubuntu at this very moment to write this post. *puts on fire proof underware*

If I could use some of my favorite applications and games on Linux (natively), I'd see no reason not to convert completely to it. Wine/Cedega is alright, but it's not as good as a native app. I have programs I've paid good money for that I'm not going to throw away. And no, the Gimp is not a replacement for Photoshop by any stretch of the imagination. Gimpshop is a good start, but...

-Paul

ThirdWorld
November 1st, 2005, 09:47 PM
ljamie82 i consider linux a superior OS. The main reason is that it is open source, it is always improving itself, always evolving with worldwide cooperation and good will. main applications are reguraly updated. The design of the os is always getting improved, its core to.
Windows is static, i compare it as IBM in the 80's, its too big, to dinosaur like, too closed, to focus on make money, with developers that, instead of creating something new and unique, do what their boses told them to do and go home. Microsoft have fall into a burocracy similar to what IBM and XEROX did. Its just to big to adapt to the new world market reality. :D

extarbags
November 1st, 2005, 10:28 PM
As someone who uses linux solely because it is faster and more stable than Windows, and who bears no ill will towards Microsoft whatsoever, I'd like to say this: Windows Vista is stupid.

23meg
November 1st, 2005, 10:43 PM
And do not forget the big nasty thing buried behind Vista's innocent looks:

http://www.againsttcpa.com

afonic
November 1st, 2005, 11:27 PM
the windows file system in vista is much better than anything on linex, unfortunately :-( it will let you to index ur drive and work with databases which u can't do with mysql.

The WinFS is not going to make it in Vista. They say they'll release a patch or something later, but not get fooled reiserfs rocks the world! :cool:

And as another user said Vista will have so much DRM **** in it that you must be an idiot to use it.

bored2k
November 1st, 2005, 11:34 PM
I hope Microsoft Windows Vista turns out a wonderful Operating System on which users configure things in the easiest way possible and on which they learn anything besides the Next->Scroll.Down->Check.Agree->Next->Finish. The fact that it's prettier or not than Windows XP or than KDE or GNOME is a very subjuctive statement we should all avoid using. If everyone saw Linux, some would stay, some wouldn't. When you're used to doing something for X years, sometimes it's hard to switch. I hope it turns out a good distro that doesn't chew the machina down with all the advertised prettyness.

bored2k
November 1st, 2005, 11:36 PM
Warning: Refrain from calling Windows users stupid, ignorant or whatever you have in mind. They are human beings who made a choice just like you did. From now on, those who use such terminologies will have their posts moderated.

bored2k
November 2nd, 2005, 12:02 AM
Ok why the heck was this moved here?

I don't think i was the one who did it.. i'm not high..

Edit: Ok I moved it. I don't know when or how but I did. someone move it back :s