PDA

View Full Version : Need a C++ compiler

kavon89
July 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM
So I'm starting to become familiar with C++ and learn to use vi at the same time. Does anyone know of a good compiler to pair up with vim for programming?

I would prefer a command line complier so I don't have to minimize the terminal much, but I'm fine with a GUI one.

(Also, if you could recommend a good tutorial to vim I would appreciate it.)

henchman
July 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
vim has a good tutorial shipped with it :) if it isn't shipped, it's available here:

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/usr_toc.html

just download the files and while reading them, you have tasks to fulfill while learning the commands needed for them :) n1ce idea from them.

for a c++ compiler, just do

man g++

its the c++ compiler of the gnu compiler collection :)

for a good ide, just read the stickies :)
i would suggest you to use netbeans as an ide :>
but remember that an ide abstracts stuff like makefiles from you, which you won't learn using an ide :)

HotCupOfJava
July 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Or you can skim the compliers available with Synaptic package manager. Do a search for C++ compilers, scan the info about each of the entrys, then pick one that sounds like what you want!

kavon89
July 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM
vim has a good tutorial shipped with it :) if it isn't shipped, it's available here:

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/usr_toc.html

just download the files and while reading them, you have tasks to fulfill while learning the commands needed for them :) n1ce idea from them.

for a c++ compiler, just do

man g++

its the c++ compiler of the gnu compiler collection :)

for a good ide, just read the stickies :)
i would suggest you to use netbeans as an ide :>
but remember that an ide abstracts stuff like makefiles from you, which you won't learn using an ide :)

g++ ah ha I knew Ubuntu came with a compiler.

I'm gonna try out the tutor feature vim has, thanks.

LaRoza
July 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM
The sticky has all that is needed, the package you need is "build-essential"