PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to edit Vista's registry?

azzamite
July 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hi there, I dual boot with vista and just got a virus calles eksplorasi or something like that and I need to edit Vista's registry to prevent it from trying to start... I already deleted it but vista won't start until the thig is deleted from the registry...

Is there a program that allow me to open the registry and edit it?

PD: clamav didn't fix the problem.

hyper_ch
July 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'd ask in a VISTA forum

azzamite
July 5th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Never mind, I just noticed that avscan only did half of the job, it detected the virus but didn't "move it" as I told it to :mad:, so I deleted it manually.

Anyway, I know ubuntu is got apps for almos anything; doesn't it has an app to hack or edit win's registry?

I'd ask in a VISTA forum

I asked here because vista didn't want to start and I was cleaning from ubuntu, otherwise I whould have asked in a vista forum. :)

hyper_ch
July 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
you ask in a Linux Forum on how to edit the Windows registry? hmmm...

arsenic23
July 5th, 2008, 09:40 PM
you ask in a Linux Forum on how to edit the Windows registry? hmmm...

He's asking if there is a way to edit Vista's regestry from linux.
You may... may, and do this at your own risk kind of may, be able to load the registry into wine's regedit. You'll find it as %%windows/system32/config

Just a guess though. May break your windows install and/or wine.

spike_strip
July 5th, 2008, 09:58 PM
He's asking if there is a way to edit Vista's regestry from linux.
Well this sure was not clear, in the original post. I felt the same way as hyper_ch ... it appeared quite obvious he was asking a VISTA question.

hyper_ch
July 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM
how do you edit the VISTA registry from windows CLI? It's a windows question, not a linux one...

arsenic23
July 5th, 2008, 10:09 PM
"""

Hi there, I dual boot with vista and just got a virus calles eksplorasi or something like that and I need to edit Vista's registry to prevent it from trying to start... I already deleted it but vista won't start until the thig is deleted from the registry...

Is there a program that allow me to open the registry and edit it?

PD: clamav didn't fix the problem.
"""

I thought it was fairly obvious that he was asking how to edit the windows registry while booted in his linux OS. This is as much a question for this forum as any other.

edit:
----------
Oh, by the way, you open wine's regedit with the following (asuming you have wine installed):

wine regedit

RATM_Owns
July 5th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Well, if you do find some way, go to this key in the registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and delete it.

mayer213
March 18th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Dude you are just giving a more damage in your system by getting in the registry. Just do the simple way by using anti virus. I have site here that give a very good information about Viruses and what is the good way to prevent them or remove them from you're system. The site is http://www.systemsecurityinstitute.org sign up for their free weekly newsletter for any updates of the latest system threats or viruses. They also include review about latest gadgets as well.

WatchingThePain
March 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Hmm..when I looked at registry in wine alot of it seems to be missing.
Also adding keys doesn't really work.
Manually removing viruses from registry is pointless.
You delete one bit and another is created.

bodhi.zazen
March 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I am going to close this thread as it seems to be getting off topic.

In general you should edit the windows registry form windows and if you haev malware, search the web for the removal process.

If needed, boot a windows rescue disk, such as BART http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Although I have not done this mind you.

Linux should be used as a last resort and is likely to cause problems.