View Full Version : [ubuntu] could faulty graphis driver affect login sound

July 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
i used to have the emperors theme from star wars as my login sound which was great but having installed a proper driver for my graphics card so i can compiz-fusion the sound no longer works. in system>administrations>sound the test sound for login do not work either.

July 6th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Please install gnome-alsamixer (search for it in Synaptic) or type

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

in a terminal,

- Open the application (you'll find it in the Sound & Video menu)
- Jack everything up and check every single checkmark
- Test again.

Should work. There is no reason why changes to your graphics settings should interfere, though. Are you sure you didn't install anything else or update?

July 6th, 2008, 09:49 AM
the overall sound has always worked, its just the login sound that doesn't. this hasn't changed that.

July 6th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I had the same problem, but I was using alsamixer instead of gnome-alsamixer, which includes more details.

Once I installed gnome-alsa mixer, I realized that some inputs weren't checked, so I checked them, and soome chanels were muted. I unmunted them.

Another thing you might want to look into, just to be sure. Look for alsa-oss and alsa-utils in Synaptic or install them via the terminal:

sudo apt-get install alsa-oss alsa-utils

to make sure you are using the latest version, restart and see if that works.

If you've installed Pulse, de-activating it might be a good idea -- it caused more problems on my system than anything else.

July 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM
alas this hasnt helped either

July 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Then I'm stumped. I'm sorry. The only time I had your problem was related to Pulse audio, from which I stay away religiously now...