PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] What driver for ATI Radeon 9250 Video Card?

doninsa
July 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM
What's the best driver for an ATI Radeon 9250 video card. The card is seen by ubuntu as an ATI Radeon (fglrx). I've used Applications - Other - Screen and Graphics to install several different drivers which all seem to work okay. But when I right click on the desktop and select change desktop background - Visual Effects tab; neither Normal or Extra can be enabled. I'm assuming this is a driver problem - right? Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
This may help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

wpshooter
July 5th, 2008, 06:55 PM
What's the best driver for an ATI Radeon 9250 video card. The card is seen by ubuntu as an ATI Radeon (fglrx). I've used Applications - Other - Screen and Graphics to install several different drivers which all seem to work okay. But when I right click on the desktop and select change desktop background - Visual Effects tab; neither Normal or Extra can be enabled. I'm assuming this is a driver problem - right? Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If your experience with the ATI 9250 is like mine, then you are BEST to leave the 9250 as it was configured by the installation process of the O/S. Otherwise, you are just asking for problems !!!

Good luck.

Rocket2DMn
July 5th, 2008, 08:03 PM

The labeling of fglrx is wrong, your card is using the open source "ati" aka "radeon" drivers. See this thread for enabling desktop effects - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764633

doninsa
July 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
If your experience with the ATI 9250 is like mine, then you are BEST to leave the 9250 as it was configured by the installation process of the O/S. Otherwise, you are just asking for problems !!!

Good luck.

What driver are you now using? Are you able to use "normal" or "extra" visual effects. If you wouldn't mind doing a test for me, do the following. Under System - Preferences - Appearance, select the Visual Effects tab and try selecting "normal" or "extra." If it works for you, I'd really like to know what driver you have installed. If it doesn't work for you, all that happens is a window pops up saying it failed.

From my point of view, I think checking into these things is part of the fun in personal computing. Not saying I don't end up in trouble now and then, but I always seem to recover. Regards, Don

doninsa
July 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
The labeling of fglrx is wrong, your card is using the open source "ati" aka "radeon" drivers. See this thread for enabling desktop effects - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764633

Thanks for the help Rocket Man! I read the thread and followed the instructions. Here's what the output looked like. Unfortunately I'm still not able to select normal or extra effects. Can you make any sense out of the output? Looks to me like it failed. Thanks Don

don@don-desktop:~$ mkdir -p ~/.config/compiz/ && echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes >> ~/.config/compiz/compiz-manager
don@don-desktop:~$ compiz --replace &
Checking for Xgl: [1] 6560
don@don-desktop:~$ not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA: 02:00.0 0300: 1002:5c61 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
Trying again with indirect rendering:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
Checking for nVidia: not present.
Checking for FBConfig: Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual
not present.
SKIP_CHECKS is yes, so continuing despite problems.
Checking for Xgl: not present.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: glXCreateContext failed
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
don@don-desktop:~$
don@don-desktop:~$

Rocket2DMn
July 5th, 2008, 11:43 PM
At any point did you try to install the restricted fglrx drivers? If so, please remove them. Also try running

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh
Then restart X with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
Remove the package xserver-xgl if you ever had that installed.

You may also want to have a look at this thread if the above doesn't work - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=799070

doninsa
July 6th, 2008, 12:35 AM
At any point did you try to install the restricted fglrx drivers? If so, please remove them. Also try running

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh
Then restart X with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
Remove the package xserver-xgl if you ever had that installed.

You may also want to have a look at this thread if the above doesn't work - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=799070

Today, I did a complete reinstall of ubuntu 8.04 including a new partition and formatting of the hard drive. The video card was again recognized as ATI Radeon (fglrx) and the driver installed was the same ati - ATI MACH 8, MACH 32, MACH 64, AND RAGE... However, after the reinstall I was able to select extra visual effects.

The first reinstall was from a recently downloaded copy of Ubuntu 8.04. However after installing I couldn't get past the boot select menu. Everything failed to start. My second attempt was from an pre-release CD of Ubuntu 8.04. This time everything worked perfectly. As expected, there was a lengthy upgrade to the current version.

I'm still concerned about using the "restricted" driver. What are the implications or consequences of using this driver. It seems to be working for me right now. Thanks, Don

Rocket2DMn
July 6th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Although it says fgrlx, you are not using the fglrx driver unless you told it to install from System->Administration->Hardware Drivers or installed from Synaptic or from ATI's website. Since it shouldn't show the restricted driver in the Hardware Drivers and you haven't installed it otherwise, you are currently using the "ati" aka "radeon" open source driver, despite what that menu says.

Cards older than the Radeon 9500 do not support the fgrlx drivers, so you should NOT install them.

starcannon
July 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM
The Unofficial ATi Wiki shows that card is now in legacy status:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Hardware#RADEON_Legacy
and recommends the Open Source "radeon" driver.

Excellent detailed instructions on how to install are here:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide#Method_1:_Install_ the_driver_the_Ubuntu_Way

GL and don't skip steps.

doninsa
July 6th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Although it says fgrlx, you are not using the fglrx driver unless you told it to install from System->Administration->Hardware Drivers or installed from Synaptic or from ATI's website. Since it shouldn't show the restricted driver in the Hardware Drivers and you haven't installed it otherwise, you are currently using the "ati" aka "radeon" open source driver, despite what that menu says.

Cards older than the Radeon 9500 do not support the fgrlx drivers, so you should NOT install them.

The video card is identified as "ATI Radeon (fglrx)," but the driver is "ati - ATI MACH 8, MACH 32, MACH 64, and RAGE..." which I believe is the generic driver. I think having (fglrx) in the card name has been a little confusing. The card, according to the box it came in, is actually an ATI Radeon 9250 128 meg, 64 bit. Thanks again for taking the time to worry about my problem. Hope the fires out there in California don't get you.
Best Regards,
Don in San Antonio.

doninsa
July 6th, 2008, 03:43 AM
The Unofficial ATi Wiki shows that card is now in legacy status:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Hardware#RADEON_Legacy
and recommends the Open Source "radeon" driver.

Excellent detailed instructions on how to install are here:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide#Method_1:_Install_ the_driver_the_Ubuntu_Way

GL and don't skip steps.

I checked out the site and the closest I could come to a 9250 was the following.
RV280 Radeon 9200PRO/9200/9200SE, M9+
After a complete reinstall today, the generic driver "ati - ATI MACH 8, MACH 32, MACH 64, and RAGE..." seems to be working okay. I now have the "Visual Effects set to "extra" which is what I wanted. Thanks for the information on ATI drivers. Don