PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Brand New Hard Drive ... Please Help!

jozmoz
July 5th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Hi There!

I've just bought a brand new 20gb hard drive, and want to install Ubuntu 8.04 on it as the only operating system for my laptop. Do I need to Format and partition this new hard drive before booting from my live cd, or will gparted on the live cd take care of this?
If I do need to format & partition this new hard drive, what exactly do I need to do, as I am a bit new to all this. Thanks.:)

silkstone
July 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
All you should have to do is fit the new drive in the laptop and then fire it up. You may have to set the boot order in the BIOS, but since the HD is blank the BIOS may just tell you that there's no OS found and you have to insert a CD.

You can then insert the Live CD and boot from it, or choose to install Ubuntu straight away. You don't need to format the drive first - that will be done automatically during install. The default options should be OK for you, as you probably won't want to partition a 20GB drive.

Be careful to choose a good username and password, because they are very difficult to change later.

Good luck!

jozmoz
July 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Thank you very much for your help.:)