PDA

View Full Version : My first truly FOSS project - Vacancy-Tracker

fatality_uk
July 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
As some of you may know, I lost my job on Tuesday. Since then I have been looking for work in the usual places, job web sites etc. And it quickly became clear that I needed a way to track each position I have applied for.

It's easy to get overwhelmed by the number of CV, references etc you send out and to whom. When the closing dates are, when the decision will be made, what to focus on to increase your chances of finding a new job.

Having looked, I can't seem to find something that does this already. So, I drew up the spec for a small intranet site I could write in order to keep track of these things. Don't get too excited, it's going to be very simple. :D

I have released quite a few free/shareware software projects over the years, last one being about 8+ years ago. But I see that FOSS is the way to move forward for projects like I am proposing.

It consists of:

A LAMP stack
A new MySQL DB
A few php pages.
An install page to create the database, tables and stored procedure's.
A summary page to show a list of the current positions you have applied for.
A detailed specification page that shows all of the information for any position.
The relevant cron entry specifications (This is to allow the site to automatically produce a list of vacancies that need to be followed up that day at a given time)
A Google calendar interface - This allows entries to be made into a Google calendar for alerts and scheduling.
An email interface to allow emails to be generated directly.

And that's as far as I have gotten. I can most probably 85% of this today. I'll try and release the code later. If anyone would like to input to this, please feel free to when the code goes up. I would like some advice on the database if possible as I am sure that my efforts will be average. :D

In the mean time, any suggestions, comments or ideas are more than welcome.

Chokkan
July 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I can't offer any advice but I think it's great you're being so proactive (hate that word but it fits) in finding a new job. Hope things work out for you.