PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid Ibex - Features that you want to upgrade or change in Alpha 1

sharks
July 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Intrepid Ibex -What are the Features that you want to upgrade or change Alpha 1 except bug fixes?

No comment from me as i havent tested II.

zekopeko
July 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
i haven't tested ibex but would like more eye candy:

openGL GDM face browser

rounded menus

NM 0.7

fixed nautilus access to windows shares (it's really slow for me and hangs the entire nautilus until it's finished or timeouts)

a media center would be nice. elisa comes to mind but only when it's ready (perhaps intrepid+1 or +2)

better screen/resolution managment

a beautiful theme using murrina theme engine.

Woormy
July 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hibernate from swap file.

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Speed and Stability
Speed and Stability
Speed and Stability

Mazza558
July 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Speed and Stability
Speed and Stability
Speed and Stability

This.

I don't mind having a similar default theme as long as Ibex is lightning fast - I can always change the theme later, but it's pretty hard to speed it up.

shuttleworthwannabe
July 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM
speed and WM6 compatibility for my smartphone.

Eisenwinter
July 5th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Adding an ability to play games such as SuperTux, ExtremeTuxRacer, SuperTuxKart, etc, in gnome, in fullscreen, without the window manager randomly crashing the fullscreen mode, and taking focus out of the game every few minutes.

spoons
July 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'd like to see the Ibex developers work more with the Gnash and RadeonHD developers to get FOSS Flash and ATI card support in for the 8.10 release.

jualin
July 5th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Common Ndiswrapper wireless card drivers coming in the CD so wireless can be set up without the need of connecting with the ethernet cable.

eldragon
July 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM
better photo / video support through nautilus, scrap fspot

madjr
July 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
common Ndiswrapper Wireless Card Drivers Coming In The Cd So Wireless Can Be Set Up Without The Need Of Connecting With The Ethernet Cable.

+1

billgoldberg
July 5th, 2008, 08:30 PM
More eyecandy, like the first reaction said.

Faster.

Easier ndiswrapper solution.

Better theme, the dark one isn't going to cut it.

The compiz fusion manager installed by default.

Better ATI support for OpenGL (although I doubt the Ubuntu devs can do something about that.

Make sure that that PulseAudio can play more than one audio source at the same time, so the flash/music player audio fiasco doesn't happen all over again.

ghindo
July 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Speed and Stability
Speed and Stability
Speed and Stability
...Isn't that what Hardy is for?

smartboyathome
July 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM

I think the plan is to integrate simple-ccsm into Ubuntu, so I would expect to see one in Ubuntu in the near future. :)

Sealbhach
July 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM

Exactly. It was ridicuous to have to download it.

I would like a Blu-Ray player.

More themes in the Appearance thingy.

The issue with laptops parking the disk heads due to APM settings - I hope that gets sorted out.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=805570

cespinal
July 6th, 2008, 01:00 AM
full hardware support...

enuff stability to get an update without doing a fresh install...

nkri
July 6th, 2008, 01:23 AM
More eyecandy, like the first reaction said.

Faster.

Easier ndiswrapper solution.

Better theme, the dark one isn't going to cut it.

+1, and full support for HFS+ (unlikely)

ghindo
July 6th, 2008, 01:44 AM
+1, and full support for HFS+ (unlikely)HFS support really isn't up to the Ubuntu team.

wrtpeeps
July 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Probably not ubuntu's responsibility, but please god, PLEASE, can we have ATI drivers that work properly!

damis648
July 6th, 2008, 01:53 AM
more Eyecandy, Like The First Reaction Said.

Faster.

Easier Ndiswrapper Solution.

Better Theme, The Dark One Isn't Going To Cut It.

The Compiz Fusion Manager Installed By Default.

Better Ati Support For Opengl (although I Doubt The Ubuntu Devs Can Do Something About That.

Make Sure That That Pulseaudio Can Play More Than One Audio Source At The Same Time, So The Flash/music Player Audio Fiasco Doesn't Happen All Over Again.

+1

mbarvian
July 6th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I would like to see speed, stability, support for WM6 phones, and common wireless card support, as stated before

Honestly, the theme is so easily changed it doesn't really matter.

damis648
July 6th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I would like to see speed, stability, support for WM6 phones, and common wireless card support, as stated before

Honestly, the theme is so easily changed it doesn't really matter.

Yes, but the default theme is how people view an OS.

smbm
July 6th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Yes, but the default theme is how people view an OS.

There are more important things though.

I'm all for a new theme but only if it doesn't divert resources away from say, working on power management so we can have longer battery life.

I'm not saying it is diverting resources though, I'm just saying it's something to bear in mind.

ukripper
July 6th, 2008, 02:33 AM
better support for flash and support for crapy shockwave (well I know not ibex but Adobe) Just message for Adobe.:popcorn:

I think Hardy fulfills all my needs so far. Ibex wud be my testing base.

sharks
July 6th, 2008, 02:38 AM
More Gaming support and hardware support

Masoris
July 6th, 2008, 03:16 AM
New beautiful themes.

A website which makes easy to find useful packages.
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/103/

jualin
July 6th, 2008, 03:52 AM
full hardware support...

Dude this is not a problem with Ubuntu, it's a problem with computer manufacturers who don't feel like creating drivers for Linux. Therefore I don't think that Linux will have "full hardware support" anytime soon.

vishalrao
July 6th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Better tablet PC/touchscreen support and a nice on board virtual keyboard that "slides in" and out intelligently :) Could take code/ideas from the Ubuntu Mobile project!

Also +1 to the OpenGL GDM Face Browser, that will be cool looking, if that can include on-screen keyboard login for tablet PCs...

Currently I have "onboard" running with GDM but you need to use plain (no theme) version for it to show properly for entering your username/password...

jualin
July 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Better tablet PC/touchscreen support and a nice on board virtual keyboard that "slides in" and out intelligently :) Could take code/ideas from the Ubuntu Mobile project!

Also +1 to the OpenGL GDM Face Browser, that will be cool looking, if that can include on-screen keyboard login for tablet PCs...

Currently I have "onboard" running with GDM but you need to use plain (no theme) version for it to show properly for entering your username/password...

+1 for the virtual keyboard. One of the big things that i saw when I made the switch to Ubuntu is that Ubuntu didn't bring by default a virtual keyboard that you could use to log in.