PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] .Trash problem

mokkai
July 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
i have a folder "/backup" in my system and i have some file inside that

if i delete any file/folder from anywhere in my system, the deleted file/folder is going to Trash

but if i open "/backup" folder in my system then the deleted file/folder
are visible in that( means whatever file i deleted will be shown in Trash & "/backup" folder in my system)

if i empty the trash then all files which are in "/backup" folder also deleted

what is actually going?
any idea ?

NikS
July 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I dint find this /backup folder in my /!!
Have u installed some backup utility or something??

adamogardner
July 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I am quite novice, and have been trying to figure out the file system too. My experience has been very similar if not the same. If I delete what would otherwise be called a shortcut icon from my desktop, my computer trashes the whole thing. So until I get a better understanding of whats going on I move my fresh downloads (which appear on my desktop) to another folder out of the way.

bhavi
July 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM
i have a folder "/backup" in my system and i have some file inside that

if i delete any file/folder from anywhere in my system, the deleted file/folder is going to Trash

but if i open "/backup" folder in my system then the deleted file/folder
are visible in that( means whatever file i deleted will be shown in Trash & "/backup" folder in my system)

if i empty the trash then all files which are in "/backup" folder also deleted

what is actually going?
any idea ?

Yup thats normal I believe when you have a backup utility like sbackup

i.mehrzad
July 5th, 2008, 03:06 PM
The backup utility is probably taking note of the changes that are occurring on your system and those changes are added to your backup folder.

mokkai
July 6th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I dint find this /backup folder in my /!!
Have u installed some backup utility or something??

no i didn't install anything

i have "/backup" is a seperate partition
thats all

MrWES
July 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
BTW...from Nautilus, if you hold the shift key down and hit delete, the file will NOT go to your trash, it will permenately delete the file.

Bill

sayakb
July 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM
You may also add a Delete command (which would bypass trash) to the Nautilus right-click menu. At a Nautilus window, goto Edit->Preferences->Behavior and check the Include a delete command that bypasses trashcheckbox.