PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Instalation trouble!

Gorgonkernel
July 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM
First of all, i will like to congratulate all that are doing hard work for this operating sistem to be good. =D> Even if i am very begginer in the computer area i love what i see.

I currently have a computer with Amd Sempron 2500+ processor, 512 Kingmax ram ddr 400, hdd 40gb Maxtor ata and Nvidia fx5200 video card. I tryed to install ubuntu 7.04. It works great but i need a driver for my video card. I tryed
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glxin the consol and it works. But after i restart the machine the screen goes black and i can not do anything. The bios works, it loads the operating sistem but then it goes black screen. What should i do? I have a 17" crt Horizon monitor for this machine. I tryed also ubuntu 8.04. I ordered it. But it freezes when i try to install it.
Can someone please tell me what to do?
Thanks very much!:oops:
Ps: If someone needs other information please tell me.

overdrank
July 5th, 2008, 02:56 PM
First of all, i will like to congratulate all that are doing hard work for this operating sistem to be good. =D> Even if i am very begginer in the computer area i love what i see.

I currently have a computer with Amd Sempron 2500+ processor, 512 Kingmax ram ddr 400, hdd 40gb Maxtor ata and Nvidia fx5200 video card. I tryed to install ubuntu 7.04. It works great but i need a driver for my video card. I tryed
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glxin the consol and it works. But after i restart the machine the screen goes black and i can not do anything. The bios works, it loads the operating sistem but then it goes black screen. What should i do? I have a 17" crt Horizon monitor for this machine. I tryed also ubuntu 8.04. I ordered it. But it freezes when i try to install it.
Can someone please tell me what to do?
Thanks very much!:oops:
Ps: If someone needs other information please tell me.

HI and welcome, you may try to reconfigure your xorg with the command using the ctrl, alt, F1 keys at the same time and this will bring you to the command line and login

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
Or boot into recovery mode and use the xfix option.

Gorgonkernel
July 5th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Xfix? What is that

avtolle
July 5th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I don't know if that utility is available on 7.04 (xfix). Try the first command overdrank gave you in the post where he mentions xfix, and carefully answer the questions presented with reference to your graphics card and monitor.

Gorgonkernel
July 5th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I upgraded to 8.04 and the upgrade was ok. I installed my driver finally but when i restarted the sistem. It loads to the user and password screen( i hear the sound in my speakers) but on the monitor it say OUT OF RANGE. Maybe i need a new monitor!:confused:

overdrank
July 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I upgraded to 8.04 and the upgrade was ok. I installed my driver finally but when i restarted the sistem. It loads to the user and password screen( i hear the sound in my speakers) but on the monitor it say OUT OF RANGE. Maybe i need a new monitor!:confused:

Ok if you hear the sound can use what I posted in #2 to try and configure you xorg?