j-lee00
July 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Hello

I own a dell computer

Spec

processor = intel pent d
memory = 1Gb
memory speed = 533MHz

I was recently using windows Xp on the dell machine however the windows Xp incured a corrupted file and would no longer boot. I changed the corrupted hard drive for a new 360GB hard drive. With another computer I downloaded the Ubunto (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition) ISO file and burnt it to a CD. I followed the instructions to run it on the dell however It would not boot from the Cd. I have changed the bios settings to put the cd drive in primary booting position but this did not help.

The message

"No boot device is available"

is being shown on my screen

Please can I have some Help
Thanks

LinuxRocks713
July 5th, 2008, 01:15 PM
How did you burn your CD? Check on your other computer. If it contains one file called ubuntu-*.iso, then you burned it wrong.

Try burning again by burning the iso instead of as a file.

If you see a a whole bunch of files, this means that you did it right.

j-lee00
July 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM
How did you burn your CD? Check on your other computer. If it contains one file called ubuntu-*.iso, then you burned it wrong.

Try burning again by burning the iso instead of as a file.

If you see a a whole bunch of files, this means that you did it right.

How do i burn it correctly?, because Ive tried it multiple ways and followed the instructions on the site and it doesn't seem to work.

rocknrolf77
July 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
What application did you burn with? It's usually burn iso image or something like that.

j-lee00
July 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Im using a mac to burn, through the finder

rocknrolf77
July 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
What isntructions did you use for burning? Don't know a lot about osx as you can see from my avatar ;)

Maybe try this : http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389

avtolle
July 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM
If burning from a Mac, see http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/maciso and see whether you did it this way. Also, did you check the md5sum of the iso after downloading and before burning?