PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] GRUB: Error 15 (after reinstalling Gutsy)

areskz
July 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Yesterday I have reinstalled my Gutsy. During the installation I have chosen to format my sda5 partition (fdisk -l output is attached), and set (as it was before) sda7 as home patition. sda6 was left as a swap.

Disk /dev/sda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x06902fba

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 896 7194624 27 Unknown
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 * 896 3507 20971520+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 3508 9409 47407815 5 Extended
/dev/sda4 9410 24322 119781376 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda5 3508 6546 24410736 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 6547 6919 2996091 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 6920 9409 20000893+ 83 Linux

Everything went okay until the finishing of installation: when it started installing GRUB. It just hung. I've killed the process, started installation again, and now ticked off "Install GRUB" in options. (I just though that I already have GRUB, and I don't even change "\" partition number).

Installation went okay, and when I rebooted my laptop GRUB said to me: "Error 15". And there is no even a possibility to press 'e' to correct menu.lst, or something. It just hungs and the only option is to reboot by CTRL+ALT+DEL.

By the way, I have not only one OS installed now, also (along with Kubuntu) I have my pre-installed Vista, and before reinstall it also was in GRUB. Now I can't access nor Vista either Kubuntu.

How can I, maybe, reinstall GRUB, and let him detect what OS I have installed and create menu.lst items for them? Or maybe I can somehow correct extisting version?

The only way I can access my laptop is via LiveCD.

UPD Have read somewhere about Super Grub CD, downloaded it, burn to a cd and tried. Tried different options, nothing helped to boot linux. But managed to uninstall GRUB and to boot Vista. Now, I think, I need to install GRUB. (But if I'm trying to use Super Grub CD to boot linux I still get Error 15).

bumanie
July 5th, 2008, 11:50 AM
boot ubuntu live cd; in terminal
sudo grub
root (hd0,4)
setup (hd0)
quit and reboot. Grub should work again and give the choice of both OSes. If not post back any errors. I'm surprised super grub disc couldn't boot ubuntu - may be there is more wrong than meets the eye. We'll see.

LinuxRocks713
July 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
From this:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml?style=printable

It says that GRUB Error 15 is most often caused by a kernel image that doesn't exist.

You choice would be to reinstall the System. If it still doesn't work after reinstalling, boot from the Ubuntu LiveCD and type:

grub-install /dev/sda

Hope that helped.

bumanie
July 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM
linuxrocks713 is correct, I was thinking of error 17. If super grub disc won't boot ubuntu, I think the only option is to reinstall to / If sgd works look here (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm)

areskz
July 5th, 2008, 01:15 PM
boot ubuntu live cd; in terminal and reboot. Grub should work again and give the choice of both OSes. If not post back any errors. I'm surprised super grub disc couldn't boot ubuntu - may be there is more wrong than meets the eye. We'll see.

Done. Here's it output:

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For
the first word, TAB lists possible command
completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename. ]

grub> root (hd0,4)

grub> setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 17 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+17 p (hd0,4)/boot/grub/stage2
/boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
Done.
Now, when it boots, it shows me a Grub command line (like 'grub> ').Seems like I have to input something. Trying 'boot', but it told me that kernel have to loaded first.

From this:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml?style=printable

It says that GRUB Error 15 is most often caused by a kernel image that doesn't exist.

You choice would be to reinstall the System. If it still doesn't work after reinstalling, boot from the Ubuntu LiveCD and type:

grub-install /dev/sda

Hope that helped.

Have tried it just now. The result is:

Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.
When I attempted to mount /dev/sda somewhere (tried /mnt/), the result was:

mount: /dev/sda already mounted or /mnt/ busy
That's it =(

Hope that you guys can help me etering some info in GRUB command line so I could boot some OS.

LinuxRocks713
July 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
<snip>
Have tried it just now. The result is:

Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.
<snip>

Reinstall Ubuntu; Your current installation is missing a /boot directory.

areskz
July 5th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Thank you, guys. Seems like I have a "bad" distro DVD (not only the problems with installing told me about that, I even can't launch a live cd now), so now I will spend couple of days downloading fresh one (Hardy). I hope reinstalling will help me :)

areskz
July 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Reinstalling solved the problem. Thank you guys.