PDA

View Full Version : Beginner issues - Hardy vs Gutsy

ituen
July 5th, 2008, 07:24 AM
been going tru discussions. I cant wait to install my ubuntu.

Pls wat d difference b/w hardy n Gru....

ituen
July 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
To read and write ntfs

sudo aptitude install ntfs-config

Does this make me use NTFS on ubuntu?

sharks
July 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM
if you dual boot windows xp and ubuntu you may use windows drives

Elfy
July 5th, 2008, 08:25 AM
been going tru discussions. I cant wait to install my ubuntu.

Pls wat d difference b/w hardy n Gru....

I assume you mean grub - if so hardy is an os and grub is the bootloader which tells your pc what you want to boot with.

ituen
July 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Wow,

But i will still have to run some application on UBuntu. If that is thecase, then i will do a fresn install and use only ubuntu. i hust hope i can find some application that can do thesmae thing as other applications i installed on windows

ituen
July 5th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I assume you mean grub - if so hardy is an os and grub is the bootloader which tells your pc what you want to boot with.

No i meant Hardy and Gru... cant remember but i know its Ubunty 7.10

Do u knoww wat it is now?

Elfy
July 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Gutsy :)

I can't remember many of the differences tbh - one was pulseaudio a different sound server, but there are many others - make a thread in the community cafe about it I expect you'll get replies there.

jasonpt
July 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
hi all am new to linux, about a week old. what i wish to know is, can i play games on my pc with linux as my operating system ( the games are GRAND THEFT AUTO, MEDAL OF HONOUR etc) or will i have to reinstall microsoft rubbish i.e WIN XP and have 2 operating systems just to run the games as i have found linux easier to use than xp. thanks for any help

ituen
July 6th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I think you can

@Forestpixie
I have gotten it. Wats the diff between Gusty and Hardy?

cariboo
July 6th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hardy was just released in April, it is a LTS release which means that there will still be support for it for the next three years. Gutsy was released last October 2007. It is just a regular release it will only be supprted for 1 year. Ubuntu is on a six month release cycle, which means there is a new version every six months. New versions are usually released every April and October.

JIm

tjwoosta
July 6th, 2008, 08:58 AM
go with hardy (its the latest release of ubnutu)

if you run into to many problems hardy then try gutsy (its the previous release)

ituen
July 15th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Does Ubuntu Have Any Antivirus

Or U Have To Download One?

AADude
July 15th, 2008, 09:32 AM
http://www.linux.com/feature/60208

You don't really need an anti-virus.