PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to play AOL videos (Like in Winamp)

diwas
July 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Winamp (the latest one...i dont know abt earlier release) has features called AOL videos. I dont want to run winamp in WINE. So is there any way i cud stream the videos in my native player Rhythmbox or is there any software which can do that?
Thank you.

wolfen69
July 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
i have never heard of AOL videos in a linux media player, but i went to videos.aol.com and the videos played fine in my browser. not sure if that's what you're talking about though.

diwas
July 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Iam sorry if Iam unable to be clear.

Here's the detail:
I have winamp 5.531. In it inside the subcategory "Online Services" there is "AOL Videos". Now when i click it, a catalouge opens and thus i can watch vdo through it. For ur convinience...im uploadin a screenshot. Hope it would be clear to u.

Thank you.

kostkon
July 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Iam sorry if Iam unable to be clear.

Here's the detail:
I have winamp 5.531. In it inside the subcategory "Online Services" there is "AOL Videos". Now when i click it, a catalouge opens and thus i can watch vdo through it. For ur convinience...im uploadin a screenshot. Hope it would be clear to u.

Thank you.
Are these videos different than the ones offered in the AOL site? Although, I haven't heard of any media player or any plugin for them that allows you to play AOL videos.

diwas
July 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Well it certainly is easy from winamp. PLUS when i stram data (video) it plays while streamin without stoppin(my broadband is 128Kbps), though the pic quality is low, i dont care abt it. On the syt, this option is not allowed. As u can see in the attached pic above, u can choose among many bandwidths provided.
And its easy in there. Just click click and click. Its easy. Honestly try it.

wolfen69
July 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
PLUS when i stream data (video) it plays while streamin without stoppin(my broadband is 128Kbps)

if you watch the videos at the aol video site, just start the videos, then immediately pause it. then wait until it is buffered enough. then resume watching.

diwas
July 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thank you for the advice. Yes, we can do that but we have to wait. No, we dont have instantaneous video.

Is it near to impossible then?

kostkon
July 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Thank you for the advice. Yes, we can do that but we have to wait. No, we dont have instantaneous video.

Is it near to impossible then?
There is already a Totem plugin for Youtube videos. Someone could write one for AOL ones although don't expect it to have the same functionality as in Winamp, especially the option to select different bandwidths.

cariboo
July 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Have a look at Miro (http://www.getmiro.com/) it might have the features you are looking for. it is in the repositories and you can use synaptic to install it.

Jim

diwas
July 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Miro looks promising. I will try it. Thank you.