PDA

View Full Version : What cool things can I do with an 8gb Flash Drive?

infinitejones
July 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I recently picked up a Sandisk 8GB Flash Drive incredibly cheaply. I can't get over the fact that it's 3cm x 1cm (small enough to fit easily on my keyring) and it holds 8GB. Anyway...

What suggestions do people have for doing something cool/useful/interesting with it? I mean, other than storing 8GB of files. I love experimenting and I didn't buy it for any specific reason (just because it was so cheap!) so I'm open to anything really!

Installing some Linux distro on it for use as a recovery/system fixing tool is an obvious choice. Does anyone know if it's possible to install XP or Win2K on a USB drive, boot from it, and use that instead of a virtual machine on the odd occasions that Windows is useful?

Thanks in advance for ideas!

barbedsaber
July 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I will buy it, no really, I will.

Bubba64
July 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I have seen instructions on how to load a whole distro on a thumbdrive so that you can just plug in and run it. I also have a acquaintance who told me quickly how to use my 2 gig thumbdrive as a ram device on my limited 256 ram computers.

infinitejones
July 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I have seen instructions on how to load a whole distro on a thumbdrive so that you can just plug in and run it. I also have a acquaintance who told me quickly how to use my 2 gig thumbdrive as a ram device on my limited 256 ram computers.

I was thinking of that too - an extra 2 gig of RAM would be brilliant on my laptop. But surely via USB it's not as fast as RAM on a chip, so that would negate any performance benefits?

infinitejones
July 5th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I will buy it, no really, I will.

www.shoppingsquare.com.au. AU$40 (=~US$37), delivered, on special last weekend (but I do live in Australia, so that makes the postage cheaper). I bet there's other places online where you'd find them cheaper...

Bubba64
July 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I was thinking of that too - an extra 2 gig of RAM would be brilliant on my laptop. But surely via USB it's not as fast as RAM on a chip, so that would negate any performance benefits?

This person I run into occasionally is a javascript something I have never really asked what he does. I didn't listen close to his instructions but he claims it would speed up my ancient A21m IBM thinkpad.

Tomatz
July 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM

It's not faster than ram but its faster than swap because the seek time on a flash drive is much shorter than that of a HDD.

shadylookin
July 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM

I think you could use it as a swap partition. I doubt it would be as fast as ram, but it might be faster than using the Harddrives swap partition.

Bubba64
July 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
It's not faster than ram but its faster than swap because the seek time on a flash drive is much shorter than that of a HDD.

It seems that was the way my acquaintance explained it, so how do you do this, not being a geek myself, I assume this is a partition thang.

the_hardy_kid
July 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Why not install backtrack?

Or shoot it with a shotgun and place the pieces on someones bed?:):):)

Thieflock
July 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
If you have a laptop for school and want to save some hard drive space use, http://portableapps.com/node/165. It is a program that loads onto the system when the thumb drive is plugged in and has you essential programs.

Tomatz
July 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
It seems that was the way my acquaintance explained it, so how do you do this, not being a geek myself, I assume this is a partition thang.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=395435

I have done it myself on my eeepc and the performance increase is very limited.

sidran
July 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM

Windows Vista has that feature automatic and built-in (but I'm sure you don't care about that :D).

I have a 4 GB flash drive that I've been trying to come up with cool uses for. Right now it's just a regular storage device that I use to transfer stuff between my desktop and laptop. But, I've been thinking of loading a distro on it, so I can just boot into it from the flash drive. I've not actually taken the time to look into the details of doing so, though.

Bubba64
July 6th, 2008, 05:51 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=395435

I have done it myself on my eeepc and the performance increase is very limited.

Thanks for the link, I have a ancient laptop but I have a high speed dsl so it is hardly noticeable the speed that is or I am used to it. I will not mess with any changes it does not seem like it is worth the hassle. :) I give a thanks for the effort it keeps you still 1/3 above me in thanks but hey who's competing.

Tomatz
July 6th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the link, I have a ancient laptop but I have a high speed dsl so it is hardly noticeable the speed that is or I am used to it. I will not mess with any changes it does not seem like it is worth the hassle. :) I give a thanks for the effort it keeps you still 1/3 above me in thanks but hey who's competing.

Thanks ;)

Yeah no ones competing *tomatz makes an L with his thumb and fore finger and places it on his forehead*

:lolflag:

I see zippy has returned! I'll have to thank you for that.

Bubba64
July 6th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks ;)

Yeah no ones competing *tomatz makes an L with his thumb and fore finger and places it on his forehead*

:lolflag:

I see zippy has returned! I'll have to thank you for that.

I just can't figure how you type with those tiny fingers while lying on your back. :)

Tomatz
July 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I just can't figure how you type with those tiny fingers while lying on your back. :)

I don't i use phsycokinesis ;)

JT9161
July 7th, 2008, 10:53 AM
http://portableapps.com/

No Linux apps yet but still incredibly useful.

Canis familiaris
July 7th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Post deleted

Dixon Bainbridge
July 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to install XP or Win2K on a USB drive, boot from it, and use that instead of a virtual machine on the odd occasions that Windows is useful?

Should be doable. I used to run a windows install off a usb external harddrive.

I have a 1gb pendrive with puppy installed on it. I use it on occasions that I really do not want to boot into a windows machine.

kytribefan21
July 10th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I am trying to find directions on loading ubuntu onto a flash drive and running it from there. Does anyone have a link for this?

Thanks

Daveski
July 10th, 2008, 12:57 AM
See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=427312

JT9161
July 10th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I am trying to find directions on loading ubuntu onto a flash drive and running it from there. Does anyone have a link for this?

Thanks

Also see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=811397