PDA

View Full Version : my open source conversion attempt (lets hope it worked)

barbedsaber
July 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I went to a friends house yesterday. We talked about a bit of stuff, watched a bit of footy, and then as usual, the conversation turned to computers.

He uses vista, but has an ubuntu partition for if, wait no, when vista breaks, so he can get his stuff back. (he is a photographer, so he HAS to use photoshop, but he is still open minded) I asked him if He torrents, he said he uses uTorrent, and I figured that was fair enough, uTorrent is pretty awesome, I might even run it through wine one day. He did say that he wanted to try Limewire, so I mentioned frostwire. There were w few applications he was unhappy with, or wanted, so I left this (http://www.opensourcewindows.org/) page open, along with the frostwire homepage. (tabs in firefox, which he already uses) (he is quite confident with figuring out if a program will work for him, and installing it)

what do you think, is that a good "recruitment" method?
is it too forceful, not forceful enough?

bigbrovar
July 5th, 2008, 08:09 AM
the way i was able to get my friends to use ubuntu was to let them notice how stable it was .. all my friends know i run ubuntu on my laptops .. and that i have never had any problem with .. it just worked ... i come to their house start my computer .. do my thing, shut down .. go home .. first there ignore me,... then they laugh at me.. then they hate .. they fight me .. then in the middle of the night they call me and beg me to come and install that ubuntu thing on their computer .. ( ok maybe not at night .. but as i speak all my friends have ubuntu running on their box .. without me forcing them to make a change)

madjr
July 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I went to a friends house yesterday. We talked about a bit of stuff, watched a bit of footy, and then as usual, the conversation turned to computers.

He uses vista, but has an ubuntu partition for if, wait no, when vista breaks, so he can get his stuff back. (he is a photographer, so he HAS to use photoshop, but he is still open minded) I asked him if He torrents, he said he uses uTorrent, and I figured that was fair enough, uTorrent is pretty awesome, I might even run it through wine one day. He did say that he wanted to try Limewire, so I mentioned frostwire. There were w few applications he was unhappy with, or wanted, so I left this (http://www.opensourcewindows.org/) page open, along with the frostwire homepage. (tabs in firefox, which he already uses) (he is quite confident with figuring out if a program will work for him, and installing it)

what do you think, is that a good "recruitment" method?
is it too forceful, not forceful enough?

linux also has limewire...

i think you need to look for new pray :)

people who need specialized windows-only apps are not the best candidates.

also if he doesn't have windows problems, i don't think he'll try to leave any time soon.

For Us Linux is more than a tool, it's a movement, a community and our hobby.

for him his main interest is Photography...

unless you get him interested in Open source, freedom and a Stable/Virus-free environment he's not going anywhere.

miggols99
July 5th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Well if it's CS2, that works pretty well in Wine. If it's CS3 there's no way he'll be able to run it..maybe a VM?

atomkarinca
July 5th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Well, the applications he uses works very well with Wine. So he should give it a go with his dual-boot and if he's not happy with the performance he can always go back to his other partition. It seems there's nothing to lose here.

barbedsaber
July 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I figure the best way to convert, is to get someone to use the sorts of apps they would use if they changed to linux, while they are still on windows, so that if they change, they are already used to the apps. It makes it a less painless experience. Oh, and just so you know, photography isn't a hobby, its what he does for a living.

madjr
July 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I figure the best way to convert, is to get someone to use the sorts of apps they would use if they changed to linux, while they are still on windows, so that if they change, they are already used to the apps. It makes it a less painless experience. Oh, and just so you know, photography isn't a hobby, its what he does for a living.

not a hobby?

what kind of photography?

boring ID photos?

barbedsaber
July 5th, 2008, 10:28 AM
http://www.hazephotography.com.au/