PDA

View Full Version : XBMC (or other OS)

intense.ego
July 5th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I would like to install XBMC or some other OS that would allow me to play videos, music, etc of all formats off my old xbox, but would it be possible to do without an action replay? Perhaps one of these (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-2b-49-en-70-1xz.html) and a flash drive would work?

I have all three games required (mechassault, splinter cell, and agent under fire) so that should not be a problem.

I would prefer only a softmod, no soldering or chipping please.

Thank you in advance.

HansKisaragi
July 5th, 2008, 03:23 AM
XBMC is just an APP, not an OS, I don't thinks its allowed to talk about modding Xbox .. so use google, took me 10 sec to find a guide.

intense.ego
July 5th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I don't see what's wrong with discussing this. AFAIK, it is not illegal at all, it just voids your warranty.

Anyway, I tried googling, but i could not find any guide that said I could do it without an action replay.

joninkrakow
July 5th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Sorry to display my ignorance, but what is an action replay? I've got an Xbox here I've been considering what to do with, when we finally get a 360....

-JOn

HansKisaragi
July 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Sorry to display my ignorance, but what is an action replay? I've got an Xbox here I've been considering what to do with, when we finally get a 360....

-JOn

Action Replay is the brand name of a series of devices/software for several different consoles that lets you cheat in games, bypass copy protection, watch videos , Region Free operation etc

I don't see what's wrong with discussing this. AFAIK, it is not illegal at all, it just voids your warranty.

Anyway, I tried googling, but i could not find any guide that said I could do it without an action replay.

I cant find a guide where you don't need AR either.

FYI, you can them AR off ebay for like 22$.

If i were you, i would find a local or national modchip site and send in your box and get it chipped, its so much better, then you can use a pc HD and actually use it as a media station .. the default HDD is not something to shout hurray about.

Duox2 (chip) cost like £11 + installation and shipping.

intense.ego
July 6th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Action Replay is the brand name of a series of devices/software for several different consoles that lets you cheat in games, bypass copy protection, watch videos , Region Free operation etc

I cant find a guide where you don't need AR either.

FYI, you can them AR off ebay for like 22$.

If i were you, i would find a local or national modchip site and send in your box and get it chipped, its so much better, then you can use a pc HD and actually use it as a media station .. the default HDD is not something to shout hurray about.

Duox2 (chip) cost like £11 + installation and shipping.

Thanks, but I think I'll just use it as a dvd player or something else. IMHO, it is not worth the cost of buying a chip or an AR when I can just use a laptop or my 360. If it was free, I would have done it because it would be nice to have another option.

andrewbrown22
July 6th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I would like to install XBMC or some other OS that would allow me to play videos, music, etc of all formats off my old xbox, but would it be possible to do without an action replay? Perhaps one of these (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-2b-49-en-70-1xz.html) and a flash drive would work?

I have all three games required (mechassault, splinter cell, and agent under fire) so that should not be a problem.

I would prefer only a softmod, no soldering or chipping please.

Thank you in advance.

Here's the completely free and legal option that works:

I've done it like this 4 times and it's worked flawlessly every time. Take the extension part of an xbox controller, the part that keeps you from pulling the xbox off of the entertainment center and cut off the xbox plug. After you've done this, simply splice it with a male usb connector and you've just made an xbox controller into a usb device.
With some free software (give me a bit and I'll dig it up for you) you can then use your xbox controller as the actual AR device by plugging a memory card into the controller.
Copy the softmod file over and you're good to start modding. Works great, nothing illegal about it.

andrewbrown22
July 6th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Link on how to make the connector (http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/USB_Storage_To_Xbox_Memory_Card_HOWTO)

How to Mod Link (http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft-xbox/article/how-to-go-from-xbox-to-xbox-media-center-in-30-minutes.html)

IcKY99
January 10th, 2009, 01:04 AM
is the AR software compatable with Ubuntu using Wine?

cammin
January 10th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I've ran the AR software through Wine, but I don't remember if I used it to transfer files.