PDA

View Full Version : Redirecting error messages from a python program to a file

mrcheesypants
July 5th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Didn't know where exactly to put this, but I figured there would be more people familiar with my python problem in the programming forum than in a Linux forum. Anyway, I wrote an AIM bot in twisted worlds for a chatroom and it prints a lot of information as well as some error reports. I want to put in the errors in a file so it will be easier to debug.

A simple

./mycode > errors

causes two problems:
1) Prompts such as raw_input("Username:") do not show in the standard output but are saved to the errors file.
2) None of the errors are saved.

Just to make sure I'm stating my problem clearly, let me give an example script test.py

#!/usr/bin/python
print "Hello World!"
spam()

Now when I run the file, I get this output:

Hello World!
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "test.py", line 3, in <module>
spam()
NameError: name 'spam' is not defined

Now if I were to use

./test.py > error
Only the "Hello World!" would be saved to the file, and only the rest would be printed. What I want is for both to be printed, or atleast just the errors to be saved in a file.

Def13b
July 5th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Something like this should work.

import sys
sys.stderr = open('errorlog.txt', 'w')

# do whatever

sys.stderr.close()
sys.stderr = sys.__stderr__

Could of sworn I read something about a better way to do this but can't for the life of me remember what or where, this should work though.

This will also obviously overwrite the log file each time the program is run so 'a' instead of 'w' might be better for logging.

mrcheesypants
July 5th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I'm looking for a way to do it in bash if anyone knows a way, but I'll use this in the mean time. Thanks.

Def13b
July 5th, 2008, 02:53 AM
ah, get your meaning now, perhaps this,

# sends errors to file, 'hello world' to stdout

./test.py 2> error

# sends both errors and 'hello world' to file

./test.py &> error

some other options here,
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-3.html