PDA

View Full Version : [other] network management on wmii

Levant
July 5th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hi all, hope I got the right forum for this;

I'm in the process of setting up wmii on my laptop, and it works great save for the issue of the wireless networking. In GNOME I could connect automatically via the nm-applet notification area icon. This is obviously not the case in wmii, so automatically joining networks is impossible at the moment. If I absolutely have to I could do it manually, but I would like to know if there is a way that I can reclaim this GNOME functionality on wmii.

EDIT: nope, can't do it manually either. I can't change any network settings. For that matter, in any GTK app I try to run, the theme is rockin' old style ugly grey. This is not a very positive experience.

Belathor
July 8th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Have you tried downloading Wicd? You could just run it on one of your tags by itself. Archlinux has a bunch of programs developed by their community for connecting to wireless networks sans X. I'm planning on installing that as soon as I get a decent hard drive and some spare time (hopefully this weekend). Their forums are obsessed with tiling window managers. =P

About the icky gtk-theme, download gtk-chtheme. It lets you change and install themes. Its not drag and drop for installation, but you merely extract the theme in ~/.themes. Pretty simple.

Hope that helps!