PDA

View Full Version : Does Linux Work Too Well?

jbaerbock
July 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Ok so I love Linux and Ubuntu in particular above all other OS's. Problem is I was used to tinkering with the comp to get it working. Now it works so well I'm bored hehe.

Current XP Issues:
-Keyboard funkyness
-Updates don't install
-odd errors that don't make sense
-lots of programs hang

Current Ubuntu Issues:
-Small sound errors
-Im Bored lol.

Canis familiaris
July 4th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah. I sorely miss the viruses and spywar :P

gn2
July 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah. I sorely miss the viruses and spywar :P

And fragmentation... and re-boots for the slightest thing....

elmer_42
July 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM
If you're bored getting it working, customize it to your liking. It can take days, weeks, or months depending on how in-depth you go. My current setup (as seen here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5312716&postcount=92)) is the result of about a week of tinkering. Once you get into it, you can become obsessive over the littlest things. It's worth it, though, because once you're done you can be sure that nobody has a desktop exactly like you.

Canis familiaris
July 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
And fragmentation... and re-boots for the slightest thing....

And not to forget the BSODs

|{urse
July 4th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Lol i totally agree. There's nothing to fix so i break things on purpose.
So let's try fixing your xp probs (because i'm still bored)!

1.) Keyboard buggyness, odd errors, programs hang, slow startup

usually this is caused by some startup program that interrupts the initial polling of the keyboard during startup.

click start, click run, type msconfig press enter, put a check in the selective startup box and click the far right tab entitled "startup"

you should see a bunch of startup programs (usually none of them are absolutely necessary, uncheck them all) click apply and select "restart now" from the popup.

once rebooted. go to the control panel, keyboard, move the repeat delay to long and short, and click on the OK.

2.) to fix your windows update problem. run dial-a-fix

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Dial-a-fix.shtml

click the "fix windows updates" button and click the "FIX" button and it will reregister all necessary .dll's. Works 99% of the times i've seen it used.

jbaerbock
July 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Cool thanks, hopefully I then can use my backslash properly when playing WoW instead of getting random character inserted instead hehe. And thanks for the update fix idea I'll try it.

Btw I'm obviously joking when I complained about Linux working too well lol. Im happy to have at least one OS that always works. Ubuntu had the same keyboard problem but after 15 minutes it fixed itself and has worked flawlessly with the keyboard ever since :P

Mazza558
July 4th, 2008, 09:32 PM
How about trying Ibex out? Plenty to fix still, and loads more new stuff.

|{urse
July 4th, 2008, 09:33 PM
oh that's just weird.. hmm.

/me jumps into a phonebooth and becomes googleman

brb

sub2007
July 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
If you're bored getting it working, customize it to your liking. It can take days, weeks, or months depending on how in-depth you go. My current setup (as seen here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5312716&postcount=92)) is the result of about a week of tinkering. Once you get into it, you can become obsessive over the littlest things. It's worth it, though, because once you're done you can be sure that nobody has a desktop exactly like you.

I agree totally, start customising and you won't be able to stop. I've customised so much and am always looking for more to do. I even tried compiling a custom kernel, OK so it didn't actually boot (think I disabled too much) but it hasn't put me off wanting to try again.

And you can always experiment with new distros if you get really bored.

|{urse
July 4th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Weird, only one guy with that problem so far

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080628134903AAd1dYD

hey, maybe that's you? lol. Sounds like either you have the wrong keymap or it's an actual hardware problem, bad keyboard maybe?

keiichidono
July 5th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I was thinking of the same thing. Then i got over it and accepted the fact that Linux is easy to use, but i think my passion for computers died when i realized it was just a box i use for work and play. Now i'm looking to be an astronaut. :D

steveneddy
July 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Now it works so well ......

After 7 versions of Ubuntu, I have become pretty good at the reinstall at a new version and now I don't have to tweak or piddle as much anymore.

As soon as the new install gets there, it stays there unless I see wallpaper or other themes I may like to use.

I have found that I like reliable stability rather than the next new/cool thing on Ubuntu.

I recently reinstalled Hardy and this OS rocks on my laptop.

I literally have no issues. Everything works, including the built in web cam. This LTS will be a pleasure to deal with for three years.

Midwest-Linux
July 5th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Ok so I love Linux and Ubuntu in particular above all other OS's. Problem is I was used to tinkering with the comp to get it working. Now it works so well I'm bored hehe.

Current XP Issues:
-Keyboard funkyness
-Updates don't install
-odd errors that don't make sense
-lots of programs hang

Current Ubuntu Issues:
-Small sound errors
-Im Bored lol.

Updates that don't install, "dial a fix" can solve the problem, but also check your preferences again in Automatic Update.

Programs hanging could be related to the "windows memory leak" also check the paging file, adding more ram, restarting the computer,.

jbaerbock
July 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM
The dial a fix worked like a dream and i unchecked some of those startup programs so we'll see if that does anything for the keyboard. I would call it a hardware problem too except tonight it seems fine and in ubuntu it has always been fine. So I dunno. Updates installed perfectly though so thanks.

Masoris
July 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Current Ubuntu Issues:
-Small sound errors
-Im Bored lol.
I'm also bored.
So I'm killing my time by crashing Windows XP on Virtualbox. It's quite funny :lolflag:

jbaerbock
July 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hehe I've been thinking about disecting win viruses or trying to demolish an xp vbox too :P. The keyboard issue hasnt come back since i unchecked some of the startup things and fixed my update problems. Same here though, I have used Ubuntu for awhile so I know what settings and tweaks I like and therefore takes minimum time setting it up. Themes and wallpapers I still messwith somewhat but not much anymore.

kevincarmony
July 6th, 2008, 08:43 PM
If it's not broke, you're not trying.

spupy
July 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I'm also bored.
So I'm killing my time by crashing Windows XP on Virtualbox. It's quite funny :lolflag:

Make a special folder on your Linux desktop. Put the captured Windows viruses in there, like a trophy show. :D

"...and this one was captured after a vicious fight with a purple ape from the Bonzios Buddicus species."

Twitch6000
July 6th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Ok people quit giving me idea please...
I am really thinking about trying some of XP torching myself lol.

L815
July 7th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I have trouble customizing because at times I like more than one thing at the same time, but I can only use one :/

I wonder if you can customize each panel on the cube to use it's own theme :O

phaed
July 7th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Linux in general, and Ubuntu specifically, are not without bugs and problems. The nice thing is that they tend to get fixed within months or weeks, or in the case of some security vulnerabilitis, days, rather than the months and months or years that it takes to fix things in Windows.

Bucky Ball
July 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
How about trying Ibex out? Plenty to fix still, and loads more new stuff.

Hey, Mazza558, sounds interesting but so bleeding edge perhaps that I couldn't find any info about it. Ibex is an OS I presume?

Yea, playing around with different op systems is fun. I have 3 comps on the home network; Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu and Xubuntu, each dual booting with a flavour of Windows so I never get bored! I have been looking into Damn Small Linux and probably start diddling with that tomorrow and learn about making a custom kernel that is fine tuned for my laptop machine before my mid-year holidays are over and I need everything stable for uni.

If anyone's ever bored, there is always plenty to be done in the forums - if you're looking to work on a problem or three there is no lack of them here and help is always gratefully accepted (mostly!). If you've managed to get your box running sweet, no doubt you can solve some others' headaches and come up with some new leads, plans and improvements of your own in the process.

Cheers and have fun.

sujoy
July 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hey, Mazza558, sounds interesting but so bleeding edge perhaps that I couldn't find any info about it. Ibex is an OS I presume?

hehe, Intrepid Ibex is the codename of the next ubuntu (8.10)... its in alpha 1 at the moment.

mrgnash
July 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yep, the ride gets a little smoother, and boring with each and every release, I find ;) Good thing though, because I have a lot of real work to do :P

Bucky Ball
July 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Intrepid Ibex is the codename of the next ubuntu (8.10)...

Ha, got you. Thanks for that.

|{urse
July 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM
lol i just gave XP (in vbox) the smitfraud-C virus and a couple others i have the source for.. what a mess ^^ :lolflag: