PDA

View Full Version : Dell Red Hat, Dell Ubuntu or System76

DouglasAWh
July 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM
So, there are a lot of individual reviews out there, but things change (every 6 months with Ubuntu)

So, I'm curious as to people with new versions of the Dells and System76.

The Ubuntu Dells seem underpowered. Only one processor option??? Only one graphics card option? I specifically talking about the desktop, which is what I'm going to buy reasonably soon, probably. I've had mostly good luck with my Inspiron E1505 laptop I got from the Dell program last summer...good enough luck to buy from the program again.

I trust Dell having worked with a company that bought exclusively from Dell, my parents having one and me having a laptop so the Red Hat thing is tempting. I'm not well versed in Red Hat which could mean getting such a system would be a great learning experience. It could also mean it'd be frustrating as hell. I figure I can always fire up a virtual machine if I want to learn Red Hat.

Then there's System76. I don't like the slimline desktop design. Makes getting in them a pain. I'm not sure how I feel about a 64bit system, which that seems to be all System76 offers. I have old hardware I might like to make use of in that computer...specifically video cards. Video on Linux is notoriously difficult. I don't need the 64bit as I don't do lots of computationally intensive things. At one point when I ran XP I was running 4 monitors off it it though and the most I've been able to get working on Linux is two and that was a royal pain. If System76 offered a 2 video card system where I could get 4 monitors working, I'd be down.

Note that I won't be making this purchase for a little while. I'm not sure how long, but I'm thinking before Christmas. Should I wait at least until Dell is supporting 8.04 since it's July and see what happens with that? Are there any big hardware things I should wait for? Again, I don't do anything that different from the normal user except I like lots of monitors. I do also enjoy some compiz. :) I don't do any gaming or high computational stuff.

myusername
July 4th, 2008, 05:32 PM
support the open source supporters (go with system 76
)

DouglasAWh
July 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
support the open source supporters (go with system 76
)

Um, so Ubuntu and Red Hat aren't FOSS? Oh, right, System76 offers Ubuntu too...

Come on, is this really the case of FOSS vs. non-FOSS or a big company versus small? If I go with some moral code, I'm going to go with Dell because FOSS needs Dell to keep offering Ubuntu. My conscience is going to be fine either way though, I just want the system that is best for me. If you still think that's System76, I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: by the way, myusername, I grew up in Tuscaloosa before moving to NC where my dad got a professorship. ROLL TIDE!

macogw
July 4th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Hey! You forgot one! ZaReason (http://zareason.com) makes some great Ubuntu-based systems. They've got a bigger selection than either Dell or System76, too. I just bought one. My review is here (http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-new-laptop-betty.html).

DouglasAWh
July 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Hey! You forgot one! ZaReason (http://zareason.com) makes some great Ubuntu-based systems. They've got a bigger selection than either Dell or System76, too. I just bought one. My review is here (http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-new-laptop-betty.html).

Hmm, not real thrilled with the 3GB max on Limbo 2440. It doesn't look like there are a lot desktop offerings...but this may well be the best of the offerings for me.

I see you bought a laptop and they do seem to have any of laptop offerings, but does anyone have experience with their desktops? I have a great laptop from Dell's Ubuntu program. I'm not looking for another laptop.

Thanks!

SilverDragon
July 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
At the end of last year before Christmas I bought the Inspiron 530n from Dell and it runs great. My only complaint is that the fan is really loud. I haven't checked to see if it is the CPU fan or the PSU fan but when it starts it sounds like a jet engine, then silence, then moderate noise.

Also, it's likely I'll be buying a Serval laptop soon from System76 and since you're not planning on buying for a little while I could tell you later about my experience with that. Actually I just read you wanted just a desktop review so I gave mine :)

steveneddy
July 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Also, it's likely I'll be being a Serval laptop soon from System76 .....

I find myself being my Serval Laptop quite often lately myself.

I like System76, but have thought of a Dell for a future purchase.

Although the Lenovo selection is getting mighty good lately.

DouglasAWh
July 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Although the Lenovo selection is getting mighty good lately.

Lenovo just does SUSE right? I think I'd prefer Red Hat or Ubuntu. If I'm wrong, please let me know!

macogw
July 4th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Lenovo just does SUSE right? I think I'd prefer Red Hat or Ubuntu. If I'm wrong, please let me know!

I know a few people that love OpenSuSE. The biggest fight I ever had with a piece of hardware was with OpenSuSE, and I don't like YaST, so I won't be using it, but I hear it's pretty nice to people that aren't me. If you like KDE, they *definitely* do much better with KDE than Kubuntu does. Kubuntu-KDE4 feels really incomplete. OpenSuSE 11 with KDE4 looks very nice.

DouglasAWh
July 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I know a few people that love OpenSuSE. The biggest fight I ever had with a piece of hardware was with OpenSuSE, and I don't like YaST, so I won't be using it, but I hear it's pretty nice to people that aren't me. If you like KDE, they *definitely* do much better with KDE than Kubuntu does. Kubuntu-KDE4 feels really incomplete. OpenSuSE 11 with KDE4 looks very nice.

I didn't mean let me know if I'm wrong I'd prefer Ubuntu or Red Hat. I KNOW that. I mean, if they offer something other than SUSE let me know.

I had a ThinkPad back when it was IBM. My brother has a Lenovo ThinkPad. At my old job we moved to Dell from IBM because we could get the cheaper and have more options from Dell. My brother has had all sorts of problems with the ATI card in his Lenovo. Only Lenovo's fault in that they picked ATI, but still. And I know ATI has done great things with opening the specs, but opening the specs doesn't make the cards magically work...

macogw
July 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I didn't mean let me know if I'm wrong I'd prefer Ubuntu or Red Hat. I KNOW that. I mean, if they offer something other than SUSE let me know.

I had a ThinkPad back when it was IBM. My brother has a Lenovo ThinkPad. At my old job we moved to Dell from IBM because we could get the cheaper and have more options from Dell. My brother has had all sorts of problems with the ATI card in his Lenovo. Only Lenovo's fault in that they picked ATI, but still. And I know ATI has done great things with opening the specs, but opening the specs doesn't make the cards magically work...

Heh, sorry. Well, Thinkpads are supposed to be extremely sturdy, so if you want nice, high-quality hardware and don't mind installing Ubuntu yourself with SuSE just acting as proof that the hardware is Linux compatible, go for the Lenovo.

BuffaloX
July 4th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Buy whichever machine you want, claim your Windows refund, donate your refund to the free software foundation.:popcorn:

steveneddy
July 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Heh, sorry. Well, Thinkpads are supposed to be extremely sturdy, so if you want nice, high-quality hardware and don't mind installing Ubuntu yourself with SuSE just acting as proof that the hardware is Linux compatible, go for the Lenovo.

This was actually the point I was trying to make.

I'm not a big OpenSUSE fan myself, but as long as Linux will run on it, then it must be hardware good enough for Ubuntu.

I am the type of person that needs a tough, reliable piece of hardware.

Pethegreat
July 4th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I have a system 76 laptop. One thing that is great about system 76 is the support. They have a forum here where you ask questions and get a response very quickly.

I am very pleased with my system 76 laptop. It works right out of the box. It comes with all the drivers and other software(flash) that you need.

macogw
July 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Buy whichever machine you want, claim your Windows refund, donate your refund to the free software foundation.:popcorn:

If it was before 30 June, so you could still get XP. With XP, there's a very very tiny chance of getting a refund. Vista's EULA does not give you the right to a refund, however, and XP computer are no longer being sold.

BuffaloX
July 4th, 2008, 10:56 PM
If it was before 30 June, so you could still get XP. With XP, there's a very very tiny chance of getting a refund. Vista's EULA does not give you the right to a refund, however, and XP computer are no longer being sold.

Thanx I didn't know they dropped that in the EULA for Vista,
I thought Vista even had a trial period...

DouglasAWh
July 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM
It comes with all the drivers and other software(flash) that you need.

Say it isn't so! Don't tell rms!