PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] playing mkv files on ps3?

erkanea
July 4th, 2008, 02:59 PM
hey there, i thought this section is the right place to ask this question. hope it is.

first of all i have googled forum and web about this and didnt saw an exact match. so im starting this topic to ask a few questions.

i know that its possible to install ubuntu or even other distro's to ps3. i got a 1080p sony lcd and a ps3. i want to watch hd movies with mkv extension with the full quality. its easy to watch them on a laptop or pc, but i got no idea if its possible on a ps3.

so basically i wonder if i can play mkv files on my ps3 with ubuntu or other distro's. ofcourse efficiently, without loose of quality.

regards

sohailjuna
July 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hi,

Thought I would help get things going.

I am in exactly the same position, I have sucessfully installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my PS3 and have applied all the updates and got the wired networking working.

I have installed VLC Player, which plays Divx fine, and also installed the codecs that are available from the Add/Remove section.

VLC seems to open the MKV file, and the audio seems to play fine, but the video seems to freeze and never gets going.

I have heard that mplayer (ps3 version) may help?

Thanks