PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried Seamonkey lately?

smartboyathome
July 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I know some of you use Firefox, some use Epiphany, and some use Opera. But has anyone tried Seamonkey lately? Not the stable version, the nightly version. I did and I have to say, it is a huge improvement over stable and looks way better. My favorite addons work with it, and the only missing feature is session management, which you can get with multizilla (doesn't work for me, but multizilla has tons of other uses too). Anyway, have you tried it lately? It uses less than half the ram firefox 3 does on my machine.

frup
July 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Is that moving towards the whole mozilla 2 + gecko 2 codebase for what will become firefox 4?

angry_johnnie
July 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I switched to Seamonkey since FF3 was released, and now I really have to wonder why I didn't use it before. It's such a good browser :-)

diskotek
July 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM
i tried before ff3 came out, but it's GUI was not that good... but nice suite anyway.

davidpeace
July 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Love Seamonkey, but there are a few problems. Here was one I eventually solved:):

I had problems logging on to the Internet after purchasing a day pass from t-mobile at a Starbucks. I was stuck in a "refill loop" as discussed with Tara at technical/customer service, tracking #: 1135868. After going through her suggested fix I still had problems. It seems that the problem (I finally fixed it) was a browser issue. I use Seamonkey, a Mozilla development like Firefox, on an HP tablet running Linux (Ubuntu). The fix I applied, after much frustration, was to download and install Firefox with my package manager. It seems that the actual logon prompt after clicking the initial "Connect to the internet" screen didn't show up in Seamonkey. It did in Firefox. For future customers that have a problem with being unable to get out of the refill loop, it might help to ask them which browser they are using. Seamonkey, as described above, won't initially work. The customer should log on with Firefox, or presumably with (shudder) Internet Explorer. Once logging on with Firefox, the customer can then continue in Seamonkey, or whatever browser they usually use. I will send this same message to other relevant forums that can also make use of it, Seamonkey, Mozilla, Linux, Ubuntu. Thank you.

Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace. -- Buddha (560-483 B.C.)

smartboyathome
July 5th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Is that moving towards the whole mozilla 2 + gecko 2 codebase for what will become firefox 4?

Yes. Nightlies are a snapshot from SVN, so it uses the latest code from Firefox which is applicable.

i tried before ff3 came out, but it's GUI was not that good... but nice suite anyway.

The GUI looks a lot better in Seamonkey 2. That was one of the things that turned me off about Seamonkey 1.

Love Seamonkey, but there are a few problems. Here was one I eventually solved:):

I had problems logging on to the Internet after purchasing a day pass from t-mobile at a Starbucks. I was stuck in a "refill loop" as discussed with Tara at technical/customer service, tracking #: 1135868. After going through her suggested fix I still had problems. It seems that the problem (I finally fixed it) was a browser issue. I use Seamonkey, a Mozilla development like Firefox, on an HP tablet running Linux (Ubuntu). The fix I applied, after much frustration, was to download and install Firefox with my package manager. It seems that the actual logon prompt after clicking the initial "Connect to the internet" screen didn't show up in Seamonkey. It did in Firefox. For future customers that have a problem with being unable to get out of the refill loop, it might help to ask them which browser they are using. Seamonkey, as described above, won't initially work. The customer should log on with Firefox, or presumably with (shudder) Internet Explorer. Once logging on with Firefox, the customer can then continue in Seamonkey, or whatever browser they usually use. I will send this same message to other relevant forums that can also make use of it, Seamonkey, Mozilla, Linux, Ubuntu. Thank you.

Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace. -- Buddha (560-483 B.C.)

Try 2.0. Seamonkey 1.1 uses the old Firefox engine (I think), and is also out of date. 2.0 is not, I have found.

D-EJ915
July 5th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I use the regular stable version because the GUI is so much better than the one on firefox. I'll try out a nightly release since you said it's really good.

Chilli Bob
July 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I use Seamonkey because it seems to have less problems with Flash than Firefox. Anyways it crashes you tube a whole lot less than Firefox. I'll think about giving the unstable version a go.

What's annoying me at the moment is that when I log into Hotmail (I know, I know!) I get directed to a page telling me I should upgrade(?) to Internet explorer, Firefox or Safari for the site to work properly. (Because IE is a model of web compliance, right?). I assume users of Epiphany and Opera have to put up with this as well. I wish I had the energy to move to Gmail.

smartboyathome
July 5th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I use Seamonkey because it seems to have less problems with Flash than Firefox. Anyways it crashes you tube a whole lot less than Firefox. I'll think about giving the unstable version a go.

What's annoying me at the moment is that when I log into Hotmail (I know, I know!) I get directed to a page telling me I should upgrade(?) to Internet explorer, Firefox or Safari for the site to work properly. (Because IE is a model of web compliance, right?). I assume users of Epiphany and Opera have to put up with this as well. I wish I had the energy to move to Gmail.

I need to check, but I think User Agent Switcher is available for seamonkey. If it is, you can use that to make it look like firefox so that you can work with it.

EDIT: it is available for seamonkey, get it here (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/59).