PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail or Gmail - Hmm

OutOfReach
July 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Well I guess this is the best place to post this (Sorry if its not, Dont eat me D: ).
I've been using Hotmail for some years now, but I've been noticing that Gmail has been gaining popularity.
And that got me thinking, "Should I switch to Gmail?".
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Gmail/Hotmail?
Thanks guys :D

smartboyathome
July 4th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I used to use Hotmail, but use Gmail now. I just like Gmail's web GUI and the fact I can use a calendar and their docs service (saves me from using a usb drive in class) all in one account. It can also be used with email clients, unlike Hotmail, and I get almost no spam.

vandorjw
July 4th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Gmail - because..

It is much easier to get Thunderbird working with it.
(to get a mail client to work with hotmail... takes too much effort)

tbroderick
July 4th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Gmail has free POP3 and IMAP for all users.

HansKisaragi
July 4th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Gmail all the way, much faster .. few gigs of mail storage .. pop3 and everything. :KS

OutOfReach
July 4th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Fast replies. :)
The docs service has me convinced, since I do a lot of reports/presentations in school.
Well, I guess im going Gmail :) but first I have to change my email settings on websites that Im registered on, which is a lot, lol but in the end it'll be worth it (I hope) \\:D/
Thanks guys!

phaed
July 4th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I love my Gmail account. Have had it since February of 2005, when you had to be invited. However, I use the "Older Version." The Newer Version is too slow for me.

The advantages over Hotmail: threaded messages (great for email lists and long conversations), more storage space, Google's corporate philosophy is more in line with the open source community, and as you pointed out, with a Google account you have integrated access to many services. I use Docs, Reader and Maps all the time.

hessiess
July 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
gmail becouse its not made by M$.

smartboyathome
July 4th, 2008, 08:21 AM
gmail becouse its not made by M$.

That isn't a good reason on its own, if something is good who cares who made it?

tinny
July 4th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Gmail has a fantastic spam filter!!! :)

bubba_169
July 4th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I got both ;)

frup
July 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I don't know how hotmail is today, but I used to detest it for many reasons.

1) 2mb inbox
2) SPAM SPAM SPAM!
3) Interface was ridiculous
4) HAD to log in every 30 days for it not to delete all my emails
5) Annoying ads.

+ more

oh and it was MS. lol

I was an early gmail convert, I grabbed an invite as soon as I could, back then 1GB of email storage was very very novel. I think US users of hotmail might have had more space and I know shortly after most of my friends had around 25mb lol but still not very much at all.

I realise Hotmail has had to improve now because of Gmail and Yahoo's own improvement in response to gmail... but gmail is nice, i'm used to it now, it filters spam really really effectively, I don't have to log in every 30 days (which comes in handy about once a year)... it does have ads but they aren't the flashy annoying ones in the corner of your eye, google ads just blend in to me... and because they don't annoy me I actually sometime look when I'm actually interested :S go figure.

akiratheoni
July 4th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Gmail has a fantastic spam filter!!! :)

Agreed. Gmail's spam filter has only filtered spam and nothing else; hotmail filters some confirmation emails for websites that I sign up for and gmail has never done that.

If you're on hotmail already and you've been using it for a long time, it might be a hassle to switch but if you're willing to set the email forwarding and stuff, I would advise you to switch because gmail is awesome.

mrgnash
July 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM
That isn't a good reason on its own, if something is good who cares who made it?

Actually, that's a perfectly good reason. If you support open standards, and 'the open web', then Google is the horse you want to back, not MS.

vishzilla
July 4th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I prefer Gmail!

barbedsaber
July 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Gmail Ftw

rheywood
July 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Without a doubt - Gmail. I've been using it since early 2004 and have never looked back. Hardly any spam emails creep into my inbox, they just simply sit in the spam folder.

The interface is so easy to use and is really quick. There are adverts, but only in the sides of emails (I think so anyway - I never really notice them!). Conversation view is very useful, as is the labels feature.

I don't care whether its Google or Microsoft. Gmail is an amazing free email service, even though I love my unique hotmail.co.uk username :)

The so called hassle of changing email accounts is definitely worth it!

billgoldberg
July 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I use both.

I would love to ditch to hotmail account, but it's not possible.

animaniac
July 4th, 2008, 12:49 PM
pop3 support, unlike M$ hotmail charging $$$ for basic functions.

Excellent spam filter, not a single message has gotten through to my inbox, unlike with hotmail, and even yahoo.

More storage by default.

Google is not evil.

Chame_Wizard
July 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Using Gmail for 3,5 years everyday:guitar:

speedwell68
July 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Yahoo FTW:D

days_of_ruin
July 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM

If you believe a company is evil, then you wouldn't want
to have anything to do with them.

wolfen69
July 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM
gmail Becouse Its Not Made By M$.

+1

Originally Posted by smartboyathome
yes, it does matter to some people. if Hitler made the best chewing gum in the world, would you buy it?

caravel
July 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM
So I take it we have a few people here that independently source every single product they buy, eat or use?

I'll bet you don't touch any clothing/electrical goods that are knocked together by kids on less than $1 per day in sweatshops in the far east?

I truly take my hat off to you.

Foster Grant
July 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Well I guess this is the best place to post this (Sorry if its not, Dont eat me D: ).
I've been using Hotmail for some years now, but I've been noticing that Gmail has been gaining popularity.
And that got me thinking, "Should I switch to Gmail?".
Thanks guys :D

Hotmail's current version doesn't work with Firefox 3 and has lousy spam filters. As noted in the bug report (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=427610), it's a Microsoft problem.

Bug solution: Use Gmail.

geoken
July 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM
So I take it we have a few people here that independently source every single product they buy, eat or use?

I'll bet you don't touch any clothing/electrical goods that are knocked together by kids on less than $1 per day in sweatshops in the far east?

I truly take my hat off to you.

I don't get the 'all or nothing approach'. Are you saying it's hypocritical to try and make an ethical decision if you haven't changed every single aspect of your life to be perfectly aligned with your personal philosophies?

For example, would I be a hypocrite for citing low emissions as a reason for preferring a vehicle without first converting my entire house to renewable energy (solar panel roof and windmill in the back yard)?

LO Matt
July 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM
+1

yes, it does matter to some people. if Hitler made the best chewing gum in the world, would you buy it?

Godwin's Law! Close the thread!

Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law)

caravel
July 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I don't get the 'all or nothing approach'. Are you saying it's hypocritical to try and make an ethical decision if you haven't changed every single aspect of your life to be perfectly aligned with your personal philosophies?

For example, would I be a hypocrite for citing low emissions as a reason for preferring a vehicle without first converting my entire house to renewable energy (solar panel roof and windmill in the back yard)?
No, my point is that if people tried to source everything you buy from companies that they don't consider to be "evil", they wouldn't end up buying much...

gletob
July 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I set my work email and the email that I used before up so I could check them through gmail

gameryoshi600
July 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
You should use Gmail. Here are 10 reasons to use Gmail. (http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en/about.html)

OldTimeTech
July 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Have had a hotmail account for 11 years....now use it for mail that I get from Tech services that I subscribe too.

Gmail have two accounts...one is single name, use for jokes, friends..etc. second one I use with married name...business account.

LookTJ
July 5th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Gmail, for most of the reasons above. Google is free and open while Microsoft is properity, lousy web standards.

AndyCooll
July 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I use Gmail. And I regularly use Calendar, Reader and Notebook too.

Have had a Hotmail account for years, however I now only use it as an account for logging on to MSN services (e.g. my MSN Messenger logon in Pidgin).

I've grown to like Gmail to the extent that I've completely converted to maintaining an online account. I now don't bother with either Evolution or Thunderbird (though I know I could use Googles IMAP settings). For my needs an online email account is enough.

:cool:

kaivalagi
July 5th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I use gmail because:

It has a great web UI for when you're on the move
It works well in Thunderbird (any client really)
It supports IMAP for mail retrieval (so much better than POP!)
Secure SSL connectivity for mail retrieval (for the security conscious)
Google Calendar (I sync from outlook at work to it :) )
Google Docs
Not had a problem yet...
Guaranteed to provide more useful features in the future

lancest
July 6th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Hotmail is slow where I live and looks stupidly like Vista. I use my old Hotmail & Yahoo mails only for chatting with Pidgin. Google all the way for everything- including online documents!
Google is allways improving.